GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

13-15 GS looking outdated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 07:10 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I think Lexus is really pushing on the designs I mean the RX and LC can easily be called concept cars so yes compared to the 13-15 looks lil outdated.
Attached Thumbnails 13-15 GS looking outdated?-photo758.jpg   13-15 GS looking outdated?-photo436.jpg  
Old 01-27-17, 07:54 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
"l'll take door #2 Bob". One and three are just Butt-Ugly and way too pretentious. Gee, I wonder why Lexus sales have plummeted with the new update models?
Not cause I own a es. But out the 3 the es def looks the best along with 16. Out of all the 16 Lexus sedans the es looks the most cohesive. I can't stand the non f sport 13-15 at all. The f sport is nice but the 16 is the way to go imho.
Old 01-27-17, 12:08 PM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's all about the angles with the 13-15. From dead on front, it might not look the most "future proof. Still, it's elegant and classy. From a higher up, quarter view, the rest of the car's lines help keep it stay current. For instance, it makes the previous gen TL look super out-dated, and they competed in the same years:

Old 01-27-17, 12:29 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
It's all about the angles with the 13-15. From dead on front, it might not look the most "future proof. Still, it's elegant and classy. From a higher up, quarter view, the rest of the car's lines help keep it stay current. For instance, it makes the previous gen TL look super out-dated, and they competed in the same years:

I was personally never a fan of those TL's in styling.
Old 01-27-17, 12:42 PM
atrac7
Driver

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I was personally never a fan of those TL's in styling.
Yes it was polarizing to many, especially the "beak". One of those cars that grew on you as you owned it I'd say. It's also one of those cars that just do not look great in pictures, but doesn't look as bad in person when you see the proportions.

The rear end of teh car was more dynamic though....I'd say it stands out more than the GS. It was one of my more favorite angles of the car when i had it.
Old 01-27-17, 02:27 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's just a matter of inches.
A slightly longer nose on a RWD car makes it look like a FWD car.
The 2016 has a longer nose than a 2013-15.
That said, I am keeping an eye on GS F prices-would love to own one.
Old 01-27-17, 06:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
I prefer the13-15 front and rear fascias, but the new look is growing on me. I am eagerly anticipating the next re-design of the GS. I am guessing that is 3 years away. I think if the designers start with a clean slate then the elements like the spindle grill work better....I like the new LS both inside and out. I really want the next GS-F, but I imagine that is going to be even more than 3 years away. Long wait.

Old 01-27-17, 06:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

I'm sure 2019 midsize 5GS will look better than forthcoming 2018 5LS.
Old 01-27-17, 07:29 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I'm sure 2019 midsize 5GS will look better than forthcoming 2018 5LS.
And what makes you think they will make a gs better looking than the flagship?
Old 01-28-17, 07:53 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by dchar
Easily remedied by vinyl wrapping the center portion of the grille with black.
100% agreement on this. I personally prefer the crossmember/bumper as opposed to the new HUGE spindle look, too much see through plastic in my opinion. It also provides a nice mounting place for those states like mine that require front plates. When I see a front tag on the new models, the plate looks like it is floating Since all the Lexus models have these gigantic grills, it will make the 13-15s look dated.

Last edited by Spideyman1; 01-29-17 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-28-17, 01:23 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewannalex
I agree with you, in the MVA area you mostly see the ES in my opinion. I'm torn between the 2015 and the 2016 as i'm looking to buy one use later on this summer or earlier. It's a must to have the Pre collision system and it's hard to find in the 2015 and previous, you see more 2016's with it, but the price of the 2015 obviously is lower and low mileage CPO is starting to seems very attractive to me. I like them both styles and also the IS350 which is essentially the same engine.
Finding one w/ pre-collision will definitely be a challenge - Definitely look in the NYC metro area when you search, a bit of a drive, but thousands cheaper than the DC metro area. Also I thought they had a better selection overall compared to here.

The ES and IS definitely far outnumber the GS (IIRC, they sell roughly 3x more ES's and 3x more IS's than the GS). I had an IS300 as a loaner when I got my oil changed. While I won't say the IS is a bad car, it definitely is targeted for a different audience. It was a lot less refined, relatively small (seemed like roughly the same size as my old ILX, which is essentially a Civic), etc. The power was nice - Definitely better than my buddy's IS250, but it was "too sporty" for my taste. It just rode really rough, even on the highways in CT, which aren't as bad as DC or parts of Arlington. Not sure if I would deal with that ride on a daily commute.
Old 01-30-17, 07:27 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Finding one w/ pre-collision will definitely be a challenge - Definitely look in the NYC metro area when you search, a bit of a drive, but thousands cheaper than the DC metro area. Also I thought they had a better selection overall compared to here.

The ES and IS definitely far outnumber the GS (IIRC, they sell roughly 3x more ES's and 3x more IS's than the GS). I had an IS300 as a loaner when I got my oil changed. While I won't say the IS is a bad car, it definitely is targeted for a different audience. It was a lot less refined, relatively small (seemed like roughly the same size as my old ILX, which is essentially a Civic), etc. The power was nice - Definitely better than my buddy's IS250, but it was "too sporty" for my taste. It just rode really rough, even on the highways in CT, which aren't as bad as DC or parts of Arlington. Not sure if I would deal with that ride on a daily commute.
I definitely prefer the comfort and ride of the GS compared to the IS here in the DMV! Commuting is a b***h here haha...
Old 01-30-17, 08:25 AM
atrac7
Driver

I never had the experience of driving an IS until last week when i had it for a loaner via the dealership. Man what a difference! The GS feels like a yacht in comparison in terms of refinement and smoothness.

I WILL say that i did enjoy the immediate handling of the IS more than the GS. It definitely is more nimble and responsive at the wheel. I felt i could "cut in" on turns with more authority and precision. Still, GS all day at the end of the day.
Old 01-30-17, 08:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

It's interesting to see the comments about the IS vs GS because I've owned both and they both feel so similar to me, at least in terms of ride/handling. Where the GS really shines is interior room and quality, features, and overall quietness. I don't find my GS to be any smoother than my IS was, but it's definitely the better car overall for me.
Old 01-30-17, 08:50 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
It's interesting to see the comments about the IS vs GS because I've owned both and they both feel so similar to me, at least in terms of ride/handling. Where the GS really shines is interior room and quality, features, and overall quietness. I don't find my GS to be any smoother than my IS was, but it's definitely the better car overall for me.
To my point exactly, when you have the type of commute there is in the DC Metro area, those slight differences you mentioned are key lol. If I'm just going to sit in a parking lot on my way home, might as well be comfortable! ML Audio helps too of course which can be in both models haha.

Quick Reply: 13-15 GS looking outdated?