GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Steering and handling of Non F-Sport v. F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 04:29 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering and handling of Non F-Sport v. F-Sport

Hey guys, every time I come across another GS F-Sport, I was wondering how the steering and handling is on the F-Sport compared to the non F-Sport. Is it comparable or is there a vast difference? I opted for the Non F-Sport because I think the exterior looks better, but I'm kind of regretting it because of the suspension, handling, and steering the F-Sport provides. I have test drove the F-Sport, but not long enough to notice the differences. Has anybody test drove both and what are your experiences?
Old 01-31-17, 07:36 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Test drove F sport, Lux and premium versions (AWD only). To me, the premium AWD in Sport (S) mode was good enough. Throttle response was great and the car felt nimble. The F-Sport added bigger wheels/grippier tires but generally it felt a little rough and "bumpy" for lack of a better term. Coming from a 2GS with 16" wheels, the '13 F-sport GS felt was too rough for my needs.

Interestingly, the Lux model I drove had the lowest overall mileage (about 6k miles less than the others i test drove) and when i punched it in S+ mode, the car really felt like it came alive (moreso than the other two cars I test drove). I don't know if the 19" wheels and corresponding tires on the '13-'15 F-Sport are generally heavier but to me, the premium had the right balance between all considerations (price, options, value, features)...I don't have an S+ option in my AWD Premium but I don't think it would be any less capable than an similarly equipped AWD Lux or AWD F-Sport...although I would be interested in seeing if anyone has done a driver's comparison (performance, handling/cornering, braking, etc) between the standard AWD versions of each car to see how they performed.

Maybe a RWD F-Sport with the rear steer, bigger brakes and lower weight from no AWD components may have made a difference...but to me, the Premium's overall performance with just Sport mode was plenty good

Last edited by AJLex19; 01-31-17 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 10:23 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from a '15 non F Sport to a '16 F Sport (both RWD). Frankly I am amazed at the difference in ride. I find the F Sport significantly more comfortable, stable, and better handling. Don't forget the AVS suspension is always active regardless of what mode you are in. To me it is like driving a completely different car.

Even my wife has commented on the difference. She did not like the non-F that we had as the ride was too soft and pitchy with significant dive forward if the brakes were applied with anything but a light touch. The F Sport exhibits none of this behavior..

What has surprised me is that the difference between the drive modes seems less obvious in my F Sport (even with S+) than it was in the non-F? Maybe the F Sport is already more aggressive in Normal mode so the changes to S and S+ are less subtle?
Old 02-01-17, 04:29 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gflexus
....What has surprised me is that the difference between the drive modes seems less obvious in my F Sport (even with S+) than it was in the non-F? Maybe the F Sport is already more aggressive in Normal mode so the changes to S and S+ are less subtle?
I agree with you as well on this. A lot could be due to the wheels/tires. I wasn't aware that the AVS was always active regardless of which mode you are in, I assume the S+ mode firms up the suspension even more? I 'think' I can tell the suspension is slightly firmer in S+ mode, but not sure how much of that is perception vs. reality. Since I am still too new to this forum, I can't have a sig, I have a '13 F Sport AWD.
Old 02-01-17, 06:30 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

This wont effect sterring or handling but if you want extra responsiveness in the sport+ mode the F sport provides you can get the Apexi Accel. I just got it in my new ride and it makes a big different, not sure how it compares to f sport but the response for the throttle is instant.
Old 02-01-17, 01:06 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The AVS is always active...monitoring road conditions and various parameters and reacting accordingly. The normal & S+ modes just change the firmness with which it reacts. In my experience, I think AVS makes a big difference in the feel of the car and how it drives.

See article: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...systems?Page=3
Old 02-01-17, 04:44 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like missing out on a lot of excitement in terms of steering and handling for the F-Sport. Sigh, maybe I should have just opted for the F-Sport package instead. Maybe I might drive it for a little while longer and then end up getting a CPO F-Sport.
Old 02-03-17, 09:38 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gflexus
The AVS is always active...monitoring road conditions and various parameters and reacting accordingly. The normal & S+ modes just change the firmness with which it reacts. In my experience, I think AVS makes a big difference in the feel of the car and how it drives.

See article: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...systems?Page=3

The article is very interesting. I had no idea it was always active and also that there were so many positions the shock adjust to.
Old 02-07-17, 03:13 PM
DJP333
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think I will ever buy a car without some kind of sports suspension.
Old 02-07-17, 03:35 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

For non-fsport do you guys know if the steering is adjusted in normal sport mode? Can any fsport suspension components be retrofitted or is it too complicated?
Old 02-07-17, 05:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
For non-fsport do you guys know if the steering is adjusted in normal sport mode?
Sport mode in non-F Sport provides both steering and engine/transmission enhancements to help provide the highest level of responsiveness.
Old 02-07-17, 05:33 PM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DJP333
I don't think I will ever buy a car without some kind of sports suspension.
Why is that?
Old 02-07-17, 08:39 PM
DJP333
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mewannalex
Why is that?
I think it's beneficial to my driving style. I am quick off the line and I enjoy taking turns at a faster speed that the average person, so I like the firmness and well planted feel that the sports suspension provides.
Old 02-08-17, 11:00 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Sport mode in non-F Sport provides both steering and engine/transmission enhancements to help provide the highest level of responsiveness.
By 'steering' for non 'F' sport, you mean the 'tightness' of the steering when turning but no adjustments to the shocks/struts for enhanced responsiveness right?
Old 02-08-17, 01:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
By 'steering' for non 'F' sport, you mean the 'tightness' of the steering when turning but no adjustments to the shocks/struts for enhanced responsiveness right?
Correct. In non-F-Sport the Sport mode alters the heaviness or tightness of the steering. It also alters the engine fuel mapping and timing for increased responsiveness as well as the shift points and timing of the transmission. The Sport mode in a non-F-Sport does the same thing that an F-Sport does in Sport+ mode excluding the adjustment of the shock/struts, the latter of which the non-F-Sport does not have.

You should be able to see what changes when you engage Sport mode by looking at your 12.3" screen. It should show the steering, engine and transmission as being highlighted in red for a few seconds.

Quick Reply: Steering and handling of Non F-Sport v. F-Sport