Buying used GS 350 F sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 12:35 PM
kbig
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying used GS 350 F sport

Hey guys, been lurking for a while.
I'm looking to buy a used 2013-2015 GS 350 F sport via my credit union. My question is: How should I proceed to make sure the vehicle I purchase was not in an accident that was not reported? I'm not a mechanic and this will be my first real purchase of a car. (I used to own a 92 sc400, but that car passed to me and was beat up, sadly.) Should I bring a mechanic to check the car out? Is there a law for some sort of return policy? I'm in California, if that helps any.
Any advice helps, thank you.
Old 02-01-17, 01:16 PM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was searching, I checked dealer stock for Certified Pre-owned cars only. If the car has less miles/time than the standard 4yr/50K mile warranty, you get the balance of that, plus another 2 years or 20K miles. You will pay more for a CPO car, but to me, I wanted some piece of mind. CPO cars have a pretty rigorous 161 point inspection, cars that have been in accidents could still be CPO candidates, but I don't think if it was a major accident it would pass. You can read more on Lexus CPO here: http://www.lexus.com/lcertified/certification-warranty
Old 02-01-17, 01:36 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spideyman1
When I was searching, I checked dealer stock for Certified Pre-owned cars only. If the car has less miles/time than the standard 4yr/50K mile warranty, you get the balance of that, plus another 2 years or 20K miles. You will pay more for a CPO car, but to me, I wanted some piece of mind. CPO cars have a pretty rigorous 161 point inspection, cars that have been in accidents could still be CPO candidates, but I don't think if it was a major accident it would pass. You can read more on Lexus CPO here: http://www.lexus.com/lcertified/certification-warranty
Actually, CPO is now unlimited miles for two years.

If you have a mechanic friend, that would be a good person to bring along when you settle on a car. I think it is important to put a car on a lift and take a look at the underside. I wouldn't be too concerned about minor dents, but i would not buy a car that had major body work done due to an accident. Some accidents show up on carfax but don't rely on it. If you are buying a CPO car from a Lexus dealership you will be given the inspection report which the mechanic filled out upon receipt of the car. Read it carefully.

CPO is actually something that the dealership has to pay to Lexus corp. I believe it costs dealers $2000 to sell a car as CPO. Hence, why CPO cars cost a lot more than non-CPO. They are going to be in excellent condition and that warranty costs something.

Last edited by roblim; 02-01-17 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 01:49 PM
kbig
Rookie

What does the extra 2yr/ unlimited miles entail? I was reading it but not so clear on it.
Does it include the every 5k or 10k maintenances? (oil change, tire rotation, fluid top-ups, etc)?
Old 02-01-17, 03:14 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

plenty of cpo lexus, bmw, mercedes have had up to 3 panels sprayed or painted
best thing to do is bring it to a high end paint shop or another dealer with a paint shop and pay 100 for them to look over the car
being that if you buy it the difference between a car painted or not touched is probably around 4000 probably best 100 you can spend
never trust or believe the dealer
Old 02-01-17, 03:41 PM
NYLiqPlat
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Be wary of a CPO with very low miles (<10K). Most likely a former fleet (loaner) car. People usually beat the **** out of them. These are more likely to have painted panels as mentioned by the poster above.
Old 02-01-17, 03:45 PM
kbig
Rookie

Originally Posted by NYLiqPlat
Be wary of a CPO with very low miles (<10K). Most likely a former fleet (loaner) car. People usually beat the **** out of them. These are more likely to have painted panels as mentioned by the poster above.
Really? I was looking at a 2014 with 13k miles for $36,000. Should I stay away from that?
Old 02-01-17, 03:52 PM
RainbowTrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just purchased a 14 GS350 F sport I can't recommend CPO enough.

The inspection process is rigorous and the warranty is great.

I know Lexus are supposed to last forever but I wanted the added confidence.

But as always, trust but verify. Not all CPO-ed cars are created equal.
Old 02-01-17, 03:58 PM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
Actually, CPO is now unlimited miles for two years.

If you have a mechanic friend, that would be a good person to bring along when you settle on a car. I think it is important to put a car on a lift and take a look at the underside. I wouldn't be too concerned about minor dents, but i would not buy a car that had major body work done due to an accident. Some accidents show up on carfax but don't rely on it. If you are buying a CPO car from a Lexus dealership you will be given the inspection report which the mechanic filled out upon receipt of the car. Read it carefully.

CPO is actually something that the dealership has to pay to Lexus corp. I believe it costs dealers $2000 to sell a car as CPO. Hence, why CPO cars cost a lot more than non-CPO. They are going to be in excellent condition and that warranty costs something.
Great advice on the mechanic and a lift inspection! Yes, the dealer has to pay the $2K for the CPO. 4 maintenances are covered for the 20K miles for the CPO.
Old 02-01-17, 04:00 PM
NYLiqPlat
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kbig
Really? I was looking at a 2014 with 13k miles for $36,000. Should I stay away from that?
No. I'm just saying don't let your guard down because it's a low mileage car. Do your due diligence whether it's a 5K or 70K mi car. Scrutinize and look into everything.
Old 02-01-17, 04:09 PM
blur2u
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbig

Check the carfax to see who owned the vehicle, it's most likely a lease return as most of these are. The good thing about being a CPO is if there's something wrong, most likely it's covered under warranty and it will be fixed under warranty. When i picked up my CPO i didn't notice until the a the next day(i wasn't familiar with all the controls on the car yet) when i turned on the BSM it had an error. I setup a service call a few weeks later and it was fixed under warranty free of charge. Turns out the motor was broken on the side mirror. It was already broken when i picked up the car, but since i wasn't familiar with the car yet i didn't notice it until a day after turning on BSM. In any case, the CPO for me was just a piece of mind.

And I agree with NYliaPlat, just do your due diligence in scrutinizing the car.
Old 02-01-17, 09:43 PM
kbig
Rookie

Originally Posted by blur2u
Check the carfax to see who owned the vehicle, it's most likely a lease return as most of these are. The good thing about being a CPO is if there's something wrong, most likely it's covered under warranty and it will be fixed under warranty. When i picked up my CPO i didn't notice until the a the next day(i wasn't familiar with all the controls on the car yet) when i turned on the BSM it had an error. I setup a service call a few weeks later and it was fixed under warranty free of charge. Turns out the motor was broken on the side mirror. It was already broken when i picked up the car, but since i wasn't familiar with the car yet i didn't notice it until a day after turning on BSM. In any case, the CPO for me was just a piece of mind.

And I agree with NYliaPlat, just do your due diligence in scrutinizing the car.
Carfax shows it was a personal lease.
Thank you all for your help,
Old 02-02-17, 11:24 AM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

CPO is the way to go. Just make sure they aren't overcharging you for the car because it's a CPO. Definitely do your research and have a end price goal in mind before going in to the dealer.