GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Texas EZ-Tag w/ tinted Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-17, 03:15 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Texas EZ-Tag w/ tinted Windshield

Hey guys, I just moved to Houston and got an EZ tag. They asked if I had a sun strip, I said yes (in reality I have my entire windshield w/ 50% ceramic tints), so they told me to put it below the strip. When In Chicago, I had and i-pass (same thing but a little box versus a sticker), which I had mounted on my windshield above the rearview mirror and it worked w/o issue.

Anyone have their windshield tinted EZ tag issues? Thanks in advance
Old 02-06-17, 03:51 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Try asking in here too:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...exus-club-211/
The following users liked this post:
popping (02-06-17)
Old 02-06-17, 03:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by popping
Hey guys, I just moved to Houston and got an EZ tag. They asked if I had a sun strip, I said yes (in reality I have my entire windshield w/ 50% ceramic tints), so they told me to put it below the strip. When In Chicago, I had and i-pass (same thing but a little box versus a sticker), which I had mounted on my windshield above the rearview mirror and it worked w/o issue.

Anyone have their windshield tinted EZ tag issues? Thanks in advance
I don't think there will have any problem with the chip being read. Use your tag and then login to your account to see if it was read.
popping (02-06-17)
Old 02-06-17, 04:11 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

EZ Pass here on the East Coast. I had mine initially near the tint band. Had sporadic problems, some toll booths read the box, some didn't. Switched to the EZ Pass that mounts to the front license plate. No problems since. Not sure if you have that option in TX.
Old 02-06-17, 04:42 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I don't think there will have any problem with the chip being read. Use your tag and then login to your account to see if it was read.
Why didn't i think of that? doh!
Old 02-07-17, 04:17 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

I keep my sticker on factory sun shade all the time. It hasn't missed a charge yet when I run through the toll booths. I dont like that "T" in the front of the window.
Old 02-07-17, 05:00 AM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

EZ Tag works fine on my car and it's in the tinted area behind the rear view mirror. Even if it doesn't read the system defaults to reading your licence plate and will charge based on that
popping (02-07-17)
Old 02-07-17, 05:39 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

50% tint on the windshield! Here in NY that's 6 months in Jail....lol
Old 02-07-17, 05:50 AM
Handi
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I try to keep mine hidden up in the black dots.
Your tint type may cause an issue by weakening the strength of the transmission.
Try holding your tag up where you want it to be and then as bclexus mentioned check your account on-line.
Possibly hold it in place with some blue painters tape and use it for a week or two and see if it is working every time.

They are making a general statement, they don't care how ugly it is on your car, they just want the $$.
Good Luck
popping (02-07-17)
Old 02-07-17, 06:57 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ttsport15
50% tint on the windshield! Here in NY that's 6 months in Jail....lol
Back in the day, I had 20% on my windshield, all the way down. Got pulled over 3 or 4 times. They just give you a ticket to get it fixed, or give you a razor blade to remove the tint right there on the road. Oh to be young again.
Old 02-07-17, 09:27 AM
NYLiqPlat
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I spray painted my EZPass black and pasted it against the back of my rear view mirror. No issues and looks way cleaner. You can't tell there's anything there.
Old 02-07-17, 06:51 PM
truthbtold
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I stuck my EZ tag at the very top right corner of the windshield behind the factory sun shade and have had no problems with the toll roads. My windshield is not tinted by the way.
Old 02-08-17, 07:24 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In Dallas, I don't even put the toll tag up on the windshield - the toll booths here will scan your license plate anyway and bill to the right account based on that (if the toll tag is not detected).
I do carry the toll tag in the car (for use at airports where they apparently need to be able to read the tag)
Old 02-08-17, 07:34 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

You do realize you are paying more by allowing the toll to read your license plate vs toll tag?

ZipCash offers a pay-by-mail option at higher rates for customers who do not have a TollTag. TollTag customers receive the lowest toll rates on NTTA roads; ZipCash customers pay at least 50 percent more than TollTag users. When a motorist without a TollTag drives through tolling points, high-speed cameras take digital images of the license plate, and the tolls are billed to the registered owner of the vehicle.
Old 02-08-17, 07:54 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually, it doesn't (I verified by looking at what I was being billed). They treat it as a "Defective tag", and bill at normal (tolltag) rates.
As long as the license plate is registered with NTTA as being a current TollTag owner (with credit balance and valid credit card on file), they match it up and they charge it to the account.

Zipcash is different - the concept behind that is if the registered car owner is not a registered Tolltag customer, they will send an invoice to the registered owner, at the higher rate.

Quick Reply: Texas EZ-Tag w/ tinted Windshield