GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Things you dislike or would change on your GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 07:30 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

+1 for - Music doesn't mute when navigation speaks

I would also like some type of indicator that shows where the cruise control is set to (had this on my previous cars and my wife's current SUV). Shall we call it a "Cruise speed indicator"?

A few more little gripes:
  1. For goodness sake, move the power trunk button to the middle of the trunk lid! Plus it's on one side on the outside of the vehicle and on the OTHER side on the inside of the trunk lid
  2. Quieter motor at idle (this is BY FAR my biggest gripe...makes the car feel a little "cheap" sometimes)
  3. Here's another one that's a little petty, but you asked: why can't the steering wheel volume button turn on the radio? Sometimes I turn the radio off to better hear the route instructions and/or to take a telephone call. Instead of having to reach over to turn on the radio, my last car would allow me to just increase the volume from the steering wheel (even if the radio was turned off)
Old 02-13-17, 07:42 AM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
first of all, I'm guessing you have a pretty low bar set for performance. I get that the GS has good performance for most people, but if you drove an A6 or A7 with the 3.0 engine you would realize how mediocre the GS is in its class.

Yes, the mouse was there when we bought the car. Yes it's a feature we knew we were getting. But like a lot of things, sometimes after a while when you use a feature in every day driving you realize that it's worse (sometimes better) than what you might think in a test drive. Plus that, things change. The competition sometimes gets better while others stand still or go backwards.

When I bought my first A7 (have had a 15 and 16 now) I still had a BMW550 and GS. I did a compare of the cars. The first is in this forum, the second on the Audi forum. I'd have to say that over two years later most of the reviews I did still stand.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-a7-today.html
http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-1...gs350-2875885/
A7 is in the LS class not GS. Also audi a7 is supercharged so the torque should be better than the GS.
Agree with you on the part that people should test drive and comparing cars before buying. I just hope that Lexus engineers would look at these complains as something that they can fix in the future updates. How can a big car like this does not have sunglasses compartment? And no fog light on fsport? 😱
Old 02-13-17, 07:42 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave

I would also like some type of indicator that shows where the cruise control is set to (had this on my previous cars and my wife's current SUV). Shall we call it a "Cruise speed indicator"?

1. For goodness sake, move the power trunk button to the middle of the trunk lid! Plus it's on one side on the outside of the vehicle and on the OTHER side on the inside of the trunk lid
  2. Quieter motor at idle (this is BY FAR my biggest gripe...makes the car feel a little "cheap" sometimes)
  3. Here's another one that's a little petty, but you asked: why can't the steering wheel volume button turn on the radio? Sometimes I turn the radio off to better hear the route instructions and/or to take a telephone call. Instead of having to reach over to turn on the radio, my last car would allow me to just increase the volume from the steering wheel (even if the radio was turned off)
I was concerned when I first started my car after getting it that something was wrong with the engine. I came from a LS430 and inline 6 BMW engine. I was very suprised at how loud the engine was at well for being a Luxury car. I wish I could do a station up too on sat radio via steering, or track up.
The following users liked this post:
maiahsdad (11-14-17)
Old 02-13-17, 07:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Here's another one that's a little petty, but you asked: why can't the steering wheel volume button turn on the radio? Sometimes I turn the radio off to better hear the route instructions and/or to take a telephone call. Instead of having to reach over to turn on the radio, my last car would allow me to just increase the volume from the steering wheel (even if the radio was turned off)
You can turn the radio on/off from the steering wheel. As I recall, it's by holding the MODE button down.
The following users liked this post:
maiahsdad (11-14-17)
Old 02-13-17, 07:58 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 on Nav speaking function to drop music volume. WRT to cruise, mine posts the ordered cruise speed in the center of the gauge cluster. Individual up/downs on the stalk make the ordered speed go up/down. Long holds make it go by 5mph.Things you dislike or would change on your GS-photo374.jpg

Last edited by MustangSal; 02-13-17 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-13-17, 10:45 AM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In no particular order: (2014 GS350 AWD)
-Trunk lid is difficult to close - if you don't slam it, it doesn't latch
-The automatic wipers wipes when you turn it on. I always keep mine on auto, but turn it off when I'm in the car wash. Having it cycle through usually leaves a water streak outline
-Puddle lamps under the side mirrors are too dim/not LED (Swapped mine to LED)
-Reverse light, door puddle lights aren't LED from factory (Swapped mine to LED)
-Automatic headlights take a bit longer to turn on (even when it's on its most sensitive setting). I live in a mid/high rise with underground parking, and having headlights turn on quickly would be useful (my TL and ILX did this no issue)
-Have to toggle through the main menu/screen to sync pass & driver climate control and to turn on wiper deicer
-Gas mileage - Not as good as turbo counterparts and power output doesn't justify the lower gas mileage.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase (Then again I'm coming from a 2013 ILX Hybrid and 2010 TL)
Old 02-13-17, 11:15 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

2013 GS350 AWD Premium:
-Wish the heated steering wheel was heated entirely
-My around town/city gas mileage is awful
-Glove box lighting could be better
-Indicator (like on my 2IS) that you are going above a certain MPH
-I prefer a touchscreen interface over the haptic feedback/mouse controller (although I've gotten used to the controller I still prefer a touchscreen)
Old 02-13-17, 11:34 AM
DJP333
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
2013 GS350 AWD Premium:
-I prefer a touchscreen interface over the haptic feedback/mouse controller (although I've gotten used to the controller I still prefer a touchscreen)
I was just thinking about the mph indicator I had on my 2008 IS350, I really liked that feature (I had one color set at 75mph and another set at 100mph). Another feature I like on my IS was the dashboard display had an option to view the gear the car was in (while in auto), that was always helpful to me.

I would really like fold down rear seats. I think this one thing would make the car almost perfect.

I really don't have many other complaints, after my 2008 IS350, my 2015 GS is really a step up, and I see a lot of things in the car that Lexus have improved from the last generation.
Old 02-13-17, 01:54 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CTNYC
In no particular order: (2014 GS350 AWD)
-Trunk lid is difficult to close - if you don't slam it, it doesn't latch
-The automatic wipers wipes when you turn it on. I always keep mine on auto, but turn it off when I'm in the car wash. Having it cycle through usually leaves a water streak outline
-Puddle lamps under the side mirrors are too dim/not LED (Swapped mine to LED)
-Reverse light, door puddle lights aren't LED from factory (Swapped mine to LED)
-Automatic headlights take a bit longer to turn on (even when it's on its most sensitive setting). I live in a mid/high rise with underground parking, and having headlights turn on quickly would be useful (my TL and ILX did this no issue)
-Have to toggle through the main menu/screen to sync pass & driver climate control and to turn on wiper deicer
-Gas mileage - Not as good as turbo counterparts and power output doesn't justify the lower gas mileage.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase (Then again I'm coming from a 2013 ILX Hybrid and 2010 TL)
I'm changing the puddle lights on my 2916 es this weekend as well. Do you have any tips for me?
Old 02-13-17, 02:05 PM
57Strat777
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
2013 GS350 AWD Premium:

yeah...I'm getting about 16.5 MPG around town in my 2016 F Sport. I guess the 20/28 MPG number that Lexus quotes is all in ECO mode.
Old 02-13-17, 02:12 PM
db6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) wish the seats would get hotter on the highest setting, and the heat went all the way up the back
2) heat the whole steering wheel
3) single station up / down on steering wheel (not just preset)
4) music volume mute when getting navigation instructions
5) easier way to browse music on an attached music player - have to go through to many menus, options
6) ability to input address, change settings while in motion - I know you can buy an override system, previous BMW allowed input on the move
7) ability to turn off engine sound enhancer
8) do something about the water marks on the window after going through a car wash or after it rains - I need to open my window to access my parking lot - when I close the window there are water marks all over it -

This is my 4th Lexus, 2nd GS, nice car, love the reliability, handling, wish it was a bit quicker

Last edited by db6; 02-13-17 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-13-17, 04:32 PM
turbo1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By fart one of the biggest single annoyances. The dam trunk button you can never find. I hope zombies don't attack while I have an AK in the trunk because looks like I'm going to die....

1. For goodness sake, move the power trunk button to the middle of the trunk lid! Plus it's on one side on the outside of the vehicle and on the OTHER side on the inside of the trunk lid.
Old 02-13-17, 05:12 PM
db6
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing - headrests are too far forward. Even when you slide them all the way back.
Old 02-13-17, 06:26 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
A7 is in the LS class not GS. Also audi a7 is supercharged so the torque should be better than the GS.
Agree with you on the part that people should test drive and comparing cars before buying. I just hope that Lexus engineers would look at these complains as something that they can fix in the future updates. How can a big car like this does not have sunglasses compartment? And no fog light on fsport? ��
I'm not sure why you think the A7 is in the LS class. The A7 is literally an A6 with different styling. So what class do you think the A6 is in? I actually looked at an LS when I bought my first A7 and I drove one. They are very different cars.

Yes, the supercharger is the reason it has more torque. What is your point? Is that cheating?

Last edited by jjscsix; 02-14-17 at 04:24 AM.
Old 02-13-17, 08:06 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
Agree with you on the part that people should test drive and comparing cars before buying. I just hope that Lexus engineers would look at these complains as something that they can fix in the future updates. How can a big car like this does not have sunglasses compartment? And no fog light on fsport? ��
No, the A8 is in the same class as an LS. Car's that have an extended wheelbase option and a full size luxury sedan would match both the LS and A8. The A7 has the same wheelbase as the A6 vs 3-5 in an LS or A8, which is 3-6 inches longer.

The A7 wouldn't technically be in the same class as a GS, since its a coupe. The BMW 6 Gran Coupe and the Mercedes CLS are a direct competitor of the A7.

Last edited by Twidge; 02-13-17 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Things you dislike or would change on your GS