GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone willing to help me out???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 02:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Long time ago, I heard certain wheels/tires combination can cause static generation. In my wild guess if that is the case static being split second high potential like lightning can interfere with car electronics for ignition control. It is hard to believe dealer is making up a false story out of the blue blaming the wheels. My response would be then put on OEM wheels and prove it or you are a^^holes.
The Lexus dealers are NOT agreeing with the OP that the engine is misfiring. The two Lexus dealers are both saying that [what] the OP is feeling is a vibration caused by his aftermarket wheels, NOT his engine misfiring. The OP thinks his engine is misfiring, which is causing the vibration. Two very different things...

OP: Engine misfiring causing a vibration feeling at 70 mph - Owner claims 'the problem' is not associated with his wheels/tires.
Lexus Dealers: Vibration at 70 mph caused by aftermarket wheels - Dealers claim 'the problem' is not associated with his engine.

'The Problem': A vibration feeling at 70 mph

The Cause of the vibration:
Dealers say - Aftermarket wheels/tires
OP says - Engine misfiring
Old 02-15-17, 04:31 PM
GreyGS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
So, in your opinion the engine only misfires at a ground speed of 70 mph. Does the engine misfire always happen at 70 mph regardless of which gear you are in? Does the misfire always happen at 70 mph whether you are coasting in high gear, or accelerating under load? Does the engine misfire only at 1,900 RPM in 6th gear?

Do you feel it at 70 mph in 5th gear at 2,320 RPM? Do you feel it at 70 mph in 4th gear at 3,235 RPM? Do you feel it at 70 mph in 3rd gear at 4,535 RPM?
Engine will misfire at 70-75 mph regardless in what gear im in. It feels like at 70 mph the car gets a bit shaky then the check engine light starts blinking so i need to pull over turn off n On the ignition. Once i turn it back on the check engine light will stay on but the car will run fine until 70-75 mph....
Old 02-15-17, 04:39 PM
GreyGS350
Rookie

The Lexus dealers are NOT agreeing with the OP that the engine is misfiring. The two Lexus dealers are both saying that [what] the OP is feeling is a vibration caused by his aftermarket wheels, NOT his engine misfiring. The OP thinks his engine is misfiring, which is causing the vibration. Two very different things...

OP: Engine misfiring causing a vibration feeling at 70 mph - Owner claims 'the problem' is not associated with his wheels/tires.
Lexus Dealers: Vibration at 70 mph caused by aftermarket wheels - Dealers claim 'the problem' is not associated with his engine.

'The Problem': A vibration feeling at 70 mph

The Cause of the vibration:
Dealers say - Aftermarket wheels/tires
OP says - Engine misfiring
Shouldn't the hub centric spacer stop the vibration?? other than that do u think maybe something to do with my suspension coils ect cousin the vibration at that speed??? According to them my wheels cousin the vibration which causes the KNOCK SENSOR'S n misfire happens.
Old 02-15-17, 04:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

So, in your opinion the engine only misfires at a ground speed of 70 mph. Does the engine misfire always happen at 70 mph regardless of which gear you are in? Does the misfire always happen at 70 mph whether you are coasting in high gear, or accelerating under load? Does the engine misfire only at 1,900 RPM in 6th gear?

Do you feel it at 70 mph in 5th gear at 2,320 RPM? Do you feel it at 70 mph in 4th gear at 3,235 RPM? Do you feel it at 70 mph in 3rd gear at 4,535 RPM?
Originally Posted by GreyGS350
Engine will misfire at 70-75 mph regardless in what gear im in. It feels like at 70 mph the car gets a bit shaky then the check engine light starts blinking so i need to pull over turn off n On the ignition. Once i turn it back on the check engine light will stay on but the car will run fine until 70-75 mph....
The two Lexus dealers are almost certainly 100% correct. The problem is ground speed induced, which is not engine related. The vibration you feel is almost certainly related to a rotating mass imbalance, e.g. your wheels/tires, brake rotors, drive shaft, axle.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-16-17 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-15-17, 05:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Shouldn't the hub centric spacer stop the vibration?? other than that do u think maybe something to do with my suspension coils ect cousin the vibration at that speed??? According to them my wheels cousin the vibration which causes the KNOCK SENSOR'S n misfire happens.
Do yourself a favor and go to a Discount Tire store to have them Road Force Balance all four of your wheels/tires using a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancing machine. Make sure they have a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancing machine before you allow them to balance the wheels/tires.

If there is a problem balancing a combination wheel/tire this Hunter Road Force balancing machine will detect it. It provides a rolling 'road force' to the wheel/tire to simulate what happens when the wheel/tire is on the vehicle with both speed and weight as it rotates. If a wheel/tire does not come within certain balancing parameters the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force machine will tell the technician where to rotate the tire on the wheel to counteract the imbalance.

Chances are extremely good that one or more of your four wheels/tires are out-of-balance, which is causing you to 'feel' a vibration at 70 mph, which makes you 'think' the engine is misfiring. A vibration that comes from a rotating mass with a certain inherent frequency could trigger an engine knock sensor and/or throw a CEL code for a cylinder misfire ...and oftentimes when one cylinder misfire P030* code is registered it also registers one or more of the other cylinders too.

With the information that I have [finally] been able to assemble, I would say the two Lexus dealers are accurate in their [same] diagnosis. That being - that your aftermarket wheels and/or tires are likely the problem. And, your engine is not the problem...it is not misfiring...
The following users liked this post:
spoogenet (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 05:23 PM
GreyGS350
Rookie

The two Lexus dealers are almost 100% correct. The problem is ground speed induced, which is not engine related. The vibration you feel is almost certainly related to a rotating mass imbalance, e.g. your wheels/tires, brake rotors, drive shaft, axle.
Tires have been balance twice recently. So what do u suggest i do next?? I wish i had stock wheels to feel the difference n see if the problem occurs still..
Old 02-15-17, 05:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Tires have been balance twice recently. So what do u suggest i do next?? I wish i had stock wheels to feel the difference n see if the problem occurs still..
Read Post# 35...
Old 02-15-17, 05:29 PM
GreyGS350
Rookie

Do yourself a favor and go to a Discount Tire store to have them Road Force Balance all four of your wheels/tires using a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancing machine. Make sure they have a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancing machine before you allow them to balance the wheels/tires.

If there is a problem balancing a combination wheel/tire this Hunter Road Force balancing machine will detect it. It provides a rolling 'road force' to the wheel/tire to simulate what happens when the wheel/tire is on the vehicle with both speed and weight as it rotates. If a wheel/tire does not come within certain balancing parameters the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force machine will tell the technician where to rotate the tire on the wheel to counteract the imbalance.

Chances are extremely good that one or more of your four wheels/tires are out-of-balance, which is causing you to 'feel' a vibration at 70 mph, which makes you 'think' the engine is misfiring. A vibration that comes from a rotating mass with a certain inherent frequency could trigger an engine knock sensor and/or throw a CEL code for a cylinder misfire ...and oftentimes when one cylinder misfire P030* code is registered it also registers one or more of the other cylinders too.

With the information that I have [finally] been able to assemble, I would say the two Lexus dealers are accurate in their [same] diagnosis. That being - that your aftermarket wheels and/or tires are likely the problem. And, your engine is not the problem...it is not misfiring...
Im gonna have to make some calls to my local tire shops n ask if they use that machine n take it from there... i will get back to u n let u know what happens. thx for ur help i really appreciate hopefully i can solve this issue soon...
Old 02-15-17, 05:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Im gonna have to make some calls to my local tire shops n ask if they use that machine n take it from there... i will get back to u n let u know what happens. thx for ur help i really appreciate hopefully i can solve this issue soon...
All the Discount Tire stores in my area use the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancing machines. Also, all the high-end car dealers (including the Lexus dealers around here) use them too. So, you can always check your Lexus dealer(s) to see if they use the Road Force balancing method.

Personally, I would never have my wheels/tires balanced by any other method. That's just how good that machine is. There's no match...

Please let us know what you find out...

Last edited by bclexus; 02-15-17 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-15-17, 07:29 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Very informative post. While I've known of the Hunter RFB machines, your ability to link the vibration in the vehicle to a engine code is illuminating and makes a lot of sense for an otherwise non-obvious linkage.

As vehicles (or any systems, really) get increasingly complex, understanding the nuance of how an event is detected by a sensor is important in understanding what could trigger the event.
Old 02-16-17, 06:57 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I too find it hard to believe that two different Dealers are blaming wheels/tires for an engine misfire...there's got to be something else to this story. This would be especially true since the car is out of warranty. Why WOULDN'T the Dealers want another billable repair? Maybe all they heard is "there's a problem at 70mph...". The logical assumption is wheels and/or tires.

If the car is out of warranty AND your experience with the two Dealers happens to be "dead ends"...why bother trying to prove them wrong with swapping wheels/tires? Take it to an independent shop. Maybe your description of the problem should include that fact that you've used an OBDII scanner and found numerous engine misfire codes.
Old 02-16-17, 07:03 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

<br />Make sure they aren't bent either, you can't tell from the front usually, you may see it in the barrels. In fact when I took my car to have wheels balanced at discount they could tel me when I had issues in the past. If they are not forged large wheels can bend if you nail a pothole and cause tons of vibrations at that speed.
Old 02-16-17, 07:57 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I too find it hard to believe that two different Dealers are blaming wheels/tires for an engine misfire...there's got to be something else to this story. This would be especially true since the car is out of warranty. Why WOULDN'T the Dealers want another billable repair? Maybe all they heard is "there's a problem at 70mph...". The logical assumption is wheels and/or tires.

If the car is out of warranty AND your experience with the two Dealers happens to be "dead ends"...why bother trying to prove them wrong with swapping wheels/tires? Take it to an independent shop. Maybe your description of the problem should include that fact that you've used an OBDII scanner and found numerous engine misfire codes.
I already suggested to go to a tuning specialty shop and put the car on the dyno to reproduce the problem.
Old 02-16-17, 08:34 AM
GreyGS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Htony
I already suggested to go to a tuning specialty shop and put the car on the dyno to reproduce the problem.

Do u know around how much it cost to take it???
Old 02-16-17, 09:16 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

You may also try finding a shop that has a portable tire spinner. A portable tire spinner is used spin the combination of the tire, wheel and brake rotor by jacking the tire slightly off the ground and using an electric motor to spin the tire at a high speed. When any part of the spinning mass is out-of-balance it will cause a vibration that is felt (and seen) on an open door, steering wheel, bumper, fender, etc. by it shimming...sometimes shaking violently.

Quick Reply: Anyone willing to help me out???????