GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Auto Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-17 | 12:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I have factory folding mirrors in my GS. They fold when I shut the car off, not when I lock the doors, though they folded with the door lock on my RX.

I believe it was a setting in Carista to change when they fold (engine off or doors locked). I set it up this way on my GS so they'd be folded in my garage, but I don't lock my car in there.
Old 12-20-17 | 12:59 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have factory folding mirrors in my GS. They fold when I shut the car off, not when I lock the doors, though they folded with the door lock on my RX.

I believe it was a setting in Carista to change when they fold (engine off or doors locked). I set it up this way on my GS so they'd be folded in my garage, but I don't lock my car in there.
I have techstream, I'll check that for the setting.

I find it more useful to fold when I lock/unlock the car. So when I park on the street I can use the side mirror to see the cars coming behind me while opening the door. Also visual confirmation the door are locked.
Old 12-20-17 | 01:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

There are some significant benefits to having them fold when locking the doors, no doubt. I've had the GS set up this way for nearly two years now and I think I'm just used to it. Haven't given it much thought, but I do like having them folded in my garage without having to lock it.
Old 12-20-17 | 01:08 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

I remember reading that the mirrors do not fold at the same rate on Lexus cars at all. From the RX to the LS they all fold at slightly different rates.
Old 12-20-17 | 01:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I don't have any noticeable difference in folding speeds on my mirrors in my GS. I can't remember on the RX.
Old 12-21-17 | 01:48 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Outstanding hackery!!

So that's two things so far that you can bring to a 2013 from a 2014:
Radio with Siri Eyes Free
Driver side folding mirror
Old 12-28-17 | 07:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Happy to report the side mirrors fold with the door locks. For whatever reason my 2013 Lexus gs had it default to the ignition. Now on auto I will never notice that the drivers side is slightly slower than the passenger side. By the time I unlock the door(grabbing the handle) and sit inside the car the mirrors are already unfolded. Same with locking the car from the handle I only see the one side folding, by the time I walk/run around to the other side everything is already folded.
The following users liked this post:
OneFunGS (01-02-18)
Old 12-29-17 | 01:30 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by peasodos
Happy to report the side mirrors fold with the door locks. For whatever reason my 2013 Lexus gs had it default to the ignition. Now on auto I will never notice that the drivers side is slightly slower than the passenger side. By the time I unlock the door(grabbing the handle) and sit inside the car the mirrors are already unfolded. Same with locking the car from the handle I only see the one side folding, by the time I walk/run around to the other side everything is already folded.
Your mirrors aren't physically moving at different speeds/times. The driver's seat isn't centered with the vehicle but is offset to one side. As such, the exterior mirrors have to be positioned differently for the driver to get similar/equal views rearward. One mirror stops before the other because it physically has less distance to travel. Completely normal & actually more common than you'd think on vehicles with power folding mirrors. Nothing to stress over (coming from someone who stresses over everything )
Old 01-03-18 | 05:07 PM
obadea
Intermediate

The plug has a rubber gasket in it, not easy to de-pin and I would probably damage trying.

Actually that picture is the back of the 2014+ mirror you have to use the 2013 mirror for BSM to work so the color of the wires are different.
I ended up cutting the harness it plugs into and flipping that instead.

Hi,

Is the bottom housing easy to replace as well, the part that attaches to the door? If I get a red mirror for example, I want to keep the complete housing from mine, top and bottom, since mine is silver.

thank you
Old 01-03-18 | 08:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by obadea
Hi,

Is the bottom housing easy to replace as well, the part that attaches to the door? If I get a red mirror for example, I want to keep the complete housing from mine, top and bottom, since mine is silver.

thank you
It's not too hard.

Remove the rubber gasket on the bottom part. I cut a slit to make the opening bigger to pull the plug through.
Take the screws out.
Then you have to take apart the plug/harness, it's three pieces that clip together.
The plug will only go through the base of the side mirror if it's broken down.

This will all make sense when you actually take it apart.

I did the same thing for both side mirrors.
Old 01-08-18 | 07:35 AM
wetwilly
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Peasodos, I just finished my install and everything works great! Most difficult part for me was removing the mirror glass from the housing as my fingers were too large, also re-installing the door panel after getting everything installed. Some advice to anyone doing this, check and double check everything before re-installing the door panel!

A side note, mine fold when I lock/unlock the car, not when its turned on/off, which I prefer.
Old 01-08-18 | 08:02 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

I have a 2012 450h 4th gen so one of the first and I have folding mirrors + an automatic switch if I want them to fold automatically on closing the car, It's a European version (Belgium)
Old 01-08-18 | 08:18 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wetwilly
Thank you Peasodos, I just finished my install and everything works great! Most difficult part for me was removing the mirror glass from the housing as my fingers were too large, also re-installing the door panel after getting everything installed. Some advice to anyone doing this, check and double check everything before re-installing the door panel!

A side note, mine fold when I lock/unlock the car, not when its turned on/off, which I prefer.
Glad to hear that worked out. I ended up using the Carista app to change the auto fold setting, couldn't get tech-stream to work when I needed it. On the plus side I was able to enable auto heated/cooled seats(2014+ have the button to turn this on) and turn down the volume on the turn signal.

I believe the default is the door locks but for whatever reason my car had it set to the ignition.
Old 01-08-18 | 10:04 AM
wetwilly
Driver School Candidate

Glad to hear that worked out. I ended up using the Carista app to change the auto fold setting, couldn't get tech-stream to work when I needed it. On the plus side I was able to enable auto heated/cooled seats(2014+ have the button to turn this on) and turn down the volume on the turn signal.

I believe the default is the door locks but for whatever reason my car had it set to the ignition.
So you didnt need to purchase the 2014 heated/cooled switch that has the auto function? I have been wanting to figure out how to get that on my 2013.
Old 01-08-18 | 10:21 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wetwilly
So you didnt need to purchase the 2014 heated/cooled switch that has the auto function? I have been wanting to figure out how to get that on my 2013.
No you don't need the physical button(I assume if you got one it would be plug and play mod).

The Carista app has the option to enable the auto mode. I guess if you wanted to turn it off you would have to go through the app.

So as soon as I start the car the heated seats turn on. It only turns on the passenger side if someone is sitting in the seat. So I guess when the temperature goes up it will switch to cooled seats.

Yes it's nice not having to press the buttons for me and my passenger. Would have been nice to have the heated steering wheel turn on automatically too, for that I still have to press the button.

Also I was able to disable auto A/C, that way in the winter I can completely turn the A/C off and not have it turn on when I click the auto button.

There are so many useful setting you can change through the Carista app.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-08-18 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Auto Folding Mirrors