GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Auto Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 10:45 AM
wetwilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
No you don't need the physical button(I assume if you got one it would be plug and play mod).

The Carista app has the option to enable the auto mode. I guess if you wanted to turn it off you would have to go through the app.

So as soon as I start the car the heated seats turn on. It only turns on the passenger side if someone is sitting in the seat. So I guess when the temperature goes up it will switch to cooled seats.

Yes it's nice not having to press the buttons for me and my passenger. Would have been nice to have the heated steering wheel turn on automatically too, for that I still have to press the button.

Also I was able to disable auto A/C, that way in the winter I can completely turn the A/C off and not have it turn on when I click the auto button.

There are so many useful setting you can change through the Carista app.
Looks like i will be getting the Carista app and odbii plug soon. I was contemplating buying the switch with the auto button but its over $100 anywhere I look. My car came with factory remote start and its been chilly here in dallas so I would really like the auto start heat/cool seat feature. Thanks again Peasodos for figuring this out!!!
Old 02-02-18, 01:28 PM
andygill27
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2014 has this feature, yet no mention of it in the owners manual or photo of the controls in any diagram. Strange.
Old 05-03-18, 07:06 PM
aceforever
Driver School Candidate

Hey peasodos!

First of all awesome write-up on your journey! I love the attention to detail and your bravery in trying this out.

I have a question, I'm considering doing this mod on my USDM IS 350 F Sport. I know that the GS and IS side view mounts are different, but I think the covers could be the same.

I'm considering buying a used 4GS mirror w/ power folding and transfer the internals to my 3IS mirror. You mentioned the motor was on the top portion of the assembly. Are the bases interchangeable between a non-power folding 4GS base and a power folding 4GS base? Does the motor gear up with the base at all? I'm wondering how it actually moves and what holds it there.

Thanks a bunch!
aceforever
Old 05-03-18, 07:18 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by aceforever
Hey peasodos!

First of all awesome write-up on your journey! I love the attention to detail and your bravery in trying this out.

I have a question, I'm considering doing this mod on my USDM IS 350 F Sport. I know that the GS and IS side view mounts are different, but I think the covers could be the same.

I'm considering buying a used 4GS mirror w/ power folding and transfer the internals to my 3IS mirror. You mentioned the motor was on the top portion of the assembly. Are the bases interchangeable between a non-power folding 4GS base and a power folding 4GS base? Does the motor gear up with the base at all? I'm wondering how it actually moves and what holds it there.

Thanks a bunch!
aceforever
Yes it's interchangeable, the base of the power folding mirror and the non-power folding mirror are the same. The only reason I swapped the base was because the power folding mirror I purchased was not the same color as my car. There are like 3-4 screws under the rubber gasket at the bottom of the base that connect it to the top part.
The following users liked this post:
aceforever (05-03-18)
Old 05-03-18, 10:42 PM
aceforever
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for the response! That really gives me hope to continue this project.

Next I'll go take apart my door panel and check to see if my car harness connector to see if there is wiring on all 16 pins. This way I can at least know that wiring supports power folding mirrors. After that, I'll order up a GS side mirror w/ power folding.

Is there anything to watch out for? I found a few that has 13 wires, missing 3 (looks like it doesn't have the BSM light on the mirror itself, I thought the light only uses 2 of the pins on the connector, not sure what the last wiring missing is for)

Do you happen to know of the pinout of the connector or where the power motor is pinned. Maybe I can spot a power folding mirror on ebay based on that.

LEXUS IS PINS (according to chilton), filling it out as I combine all the separate pages info together
1 Vertical Mirror Actuator (MV)
2 Flood light (MLP)
4 Heater +
5 Position Sensor Power
6 Mirror Position Sensor signal (vertical)
7 dimming (EC+)
8 Blind Spot Indicator (BSR+)
9 Horizontal Mirror Actuator (MH)
10 Mirror Actuator Common (M+)
12 Ground
13 Mirror Position Sensor signal (horizontal)
15 dimming (EC-)
16 Turn signal (TAN+)

GS pinout
1 Vertical Mirror Actuator (MV) (white)
2 Flood light (MLP)
3 power fold (MR) (Green)
4 Heater + (brown - white)
5 Position Sensor Power (lightblue)
6 Mirror Position Sensor signal (vertical) (violet)
7 dimming (EC+) (brown)
8 Blind Spot Indicator (BSR+) (gray -red)
9 Horizontal Mirror Actuator (MH)(red)
10 Mirror Actuator Common (M+)(black)
11 power fold (MF) (Blue)
12 Ground (black-red)
13 Mirror Position Sensor signal (horizontal) (light green)
14 Mirror position negative (gray)
15 dimming (EC-) (black-blue)
16 Turn signal (TAN+) (pink)

Looks like the pinout is the same! that's awesome.

Last edited by aceforever; 05-04-18 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 09:00 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aceforever
Thanks so much for the response! That really gives me hope to continue this project.

Next I'll go take apart my door panel and check to see if my car harness connector to see if there is wiring on all 16 pins. This way I can at least know that wiring supports power folding mirrors. After that, I'll order up a GS side mirror w/ power folding.

Is there anything to watch out for? I found a few that has 13 wires, missing 3 (looks like it doesn't have the BSM light on the mirror itself, I thought the light only uses 2 of the pins on the connector, not sure what the last wiring missing is for)

Do you happen to know of the pinout of the connector or where the power motor is pinned. Maybe I can spot a power folding mirror on ebay based on that.

LEXUS IS PINS (according to chilton), filling it out as I combine all the separate pages info together
1 Vertical Mirror Actuator (MV)
2 Flood light (MLP)
4 Heater +
5 Position Sensor Power
6 Mirror Position Sensor signal (vertical)
7 dimming (EC+)
8 Blind Spot Indicator (BSR+)
9 Horizontal Mirror Actuator (MH)
10 Mirror Actuator Common (M+)
12 Ground
13 Mirror Position Sensor signal (horizontal)
15 dimming (EC-)
16 Turn signal (TAN+)

GS pinout
1 Vertical Mirror Actuator (MV) (white)
2 Flood light (MLP)
3 power fold (MR) (Green)
4 Heater + (brown - white)
5 Position Sensor Power (lightblue)
6 Mirror Position Sensor signal (vertical) (violet)
7 dimming (EC+) (brown)
8 Blind Spot Indicator (BSR+) (gray -red)
9 Horizontal Mirror Actuator (MH)(red)
10 Mirror Actuator Common (M+)(black)
11 power fold (MF) (Blue)
12 Ground (black-red)
13 Mirror Position Sensor signal (horizontal) (light green)
14 Mirror position negative (gray)
15 dimming (EC-) (black-blue)
16 Turn signal (TAN+) (pink)

Looks like the pinout is the same! that's awesome.
All 2014+ Lexus GS have power folding side mirrors, just make your purchase based off that. You can ask the seller what year the car was or the vin the mirrors came from.

This is the post that inspired me to try this mod on the GS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...010-rx350.html
Old 05-04-18, 10:22 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
All 2014+ Lexus GS have power folding side mirrors, just make your purchase based off that. You can ask the seller what year the car was or the vin the mirrors came from.

This is the post that inspired me to try this mod on the GS:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...010-rx350.html
This is incorrect. Our 2015 GS F-Sport does not have power folding mirrors. I believe the power folding mirror option is linked with Blind Spot Monitoring so if it has BSM, it has power folding mirrors.
Old 05-04-18, 10:27 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by signdetres
This is incorrect. Our 2015 GS F-Sport does not have power folding mirrors. I believe the power folding mirror option is linked with Blind Spot Monitoring so if it has BSM, it has power folding mirrors.
I didn't know that. In any case if it has 16 wires coming out of the harness it's power folding.
Old 05-04-18, 06:33 PM
aceforever
Driver School Candidate

Hit a snag, looks like for the IS 350s NOT equipped with memory seats, it will not be be a direct swap between the Master Switch from a power folding to a non power folding.

So in this case even if I get all components:
  1. Master Switch w/ fold buttons
  2. GS Driver side mirror w/ 16 wires
  3. GS Passenger side mirror w/ 16 wires
It'd involve these in addition:
  1. Driver Door ECU
  2. Passenger Door ECU
  3. Wiring to connect these w/ other things
Optionally I can buy a custom mirror folding module
  1. Mirror folding module, connect it with a button, power, acc, alarm arm, etc...
  2. Run custom wire to driver and passenger side door to connect to the power folding GS mirrors pin 3 and 11.

System Layout:
w/ Memory Seats
Master Switch -> BOTH passenger and driver Door ECUs or also referred to as Mirror Control ECUs
Each Mirror Control ECU -> Side mirror actuators

w/o Memory Seats
Master Switch -> BOTH passenger and driver Side mirror actuators

Since this is becoming more complex, I'm opting to not continue with this modification.

Last edited by aceforever; 05-04-18 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 08:35 PM
Chugs350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

got an used gs 350 awd f, mirror auto folding was working when tested the car. Did a data reset and its not working anymore.

i got carista to try to make it work. But nothing is happening. I don't see any auto buttons in the car or carista except the option to make it ignition or door lock. Any ideas?
Old 06-02-18, 07:58 AM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by Chugs350
Hi guys,

got an used gs 350 awd f, mirror auto folding was working when tested the car. Did a data reset and its not working anymore.

i got carista to try to make it work. But nothing is happening. I don't see any auto buttons in the car or carista except the option to make it ignition or door lock. Any ideas?
What year and do you have blind spot monitoring?
Old 06-02-18, 10:21 AM
Chugs350
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
What year and do you have blind spot monitoring?
its 2014 and dont have bsm. Isnt folding mirrors standard on all gs from 2014 and up?

thx
Old 06-02-18, 07:35 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by Chugs350
its 2014 and dont have bsm. Isnt folding mirrors standard on all gs from 2014 and up?

thx
I believe they made BSM standard starting the 2016 model year. I think BSM is linked to power folding mirrors. Our 2015 GS doesn't have BSM nor power folding mirrors. In our 2018, where the mirror controls are, you have one button for folding in and out the mirrors and one for turning on and off the auto folding function. If you don't have those controls or BSM, I'd bet the car isn't equipped with it as there aren't any other ways to power fold the mirrors.
Old 03-15-19, 06:48 PM
SavannahGS
Driver School Candidate

What type of tool do you use to de-pin that connector? I need to flip mine and would rather de-pin and swap versus cutting and splicing. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-15-19, 09:23 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SavannahGS
What type of tool do you use to de-pin that connector? I need to flip mine and would rather de-pin and swap versus cutting and splicing. Thanks for the help!
I didn't de-pin the connector. I took it apart into two pieces, then slide it through the base of the side mirror
The following users liked this post:
SavannahGS (06-03-19)

Quick Reply: Auto Folding Mirrors