GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Meteor Mica blue opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-17, 09:20 AM
Srjr209
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meteor Mica blue opinions

Anyone have a GS in meteor mica blue with aftermarket wheels? I'm going to go look at a 2013 in meteor Mica blue with the luxury package and light grey interior. Me and the wife think it might be a color more suitable for older people but maybe after a few mods it could be a unique car since there's not very many in that color. Please post pics if you have one or opinion on the color. BTW it has 46000 miles and they're asking $25k

Last edited by Srjr209; 03-04-17 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 03-04-17, 11:06 AM
Longevite
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good price

I don't know how the after market wheels look but good price with Lux package, and still have little warranty left.
Old 03-04-17, 11:50 AM
Srjr209
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Srjr209

Anyone have a GS in meteor mica blue with aftermarket wheels? I'm going to go look at a 2013 in meteor Mica blue with the luxury package and light grey interior. Me and the wife think it might be a color more suitable for older people but maybe after a few mods it could be a unique car since there's not very many in that color. Please post pics if you have one or opinion on the color. BTW it has 46000 miles and they're asking $25k
Originally Posted by Longevite
I don't know how the after market wheels look but good price with Lux package, and still have little warranty left.
we're looking to purchase our first Lexus and it's between the meteor blue or a 2013 CPO liquid Platinum with luxury package with 40,000 mile for $30k and also a 2013 nebula gray F Sport with 32000 miles $30k
Old 03-04-17, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I think thats a cool color, may not age well though
Old 03-04-17, 03:41 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I love that color (FWIW, I'm in my early 20s), although it does look very odd without tinted windows to me (the GS in my building that is in this color is tinted). If I had a choice of color, Meteor Mica would probably be in the top 3 of my list (others being Atomic Silver, and Riviera Red), but I got a killer deal on my black/flaxen 2014, and when buying used, it pays to be flexible on color.

As for the color not aging well, that really depends on how your car is treated. Think of where the car is parked regularly - both at home and work. Also, think how much you maintain the appearance of the car. For me, I have an underground parking garage both at home and work, so I only have to park outside if I'm shopping somewhere (and even then, most malls, shopping centers, etc around me have a parking garage). Also, if you get your car waxed and buffed regularly, that will help preserve the color. In person, Meteor Blue really reminds me of the "Blue Slate" for Infiniti, which seems to be aging well whenever I see an older one.

There's a red GS300 (2006) in my building that really looks like it is new (seems like it isn't driven much) where there are some 2012 red cars that are really starting to look bad.
Old 03-04-17, 05:01 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by CTNYC
I love that color (FWIW, I'm in my early 20s), although it does look very odd without tinted windows to me (the GS in my building that is in this color is tinted). If I had a choice of color, Meteor Mica would probably be in the top 3 of my list (others being Atomic Silver, and Riviera Red), but I got a killer deal on my black/flaxen 2014, and when buying used, it pays to be flexible on color.

As for the color not aging well, that really depends on how your car is treated. Think of where the car is parked regularly - both at home and work. Also, think how much you maintain the appearance of the car. For me, I have an underground parking garage both at home and work, so I only have to park outside if I'm shopping somewhere (and even then, most malls, shopping centers, etc around me have a parking garage). Also, if you get your car waxed and buffed regularly, that will help preserve the color. In person, Meteor Blue really reminds me of the "Blue Slate" for Infiniti, which seems to be aging well whenever I see an older one.

There's a red GS300 (2006) in my building that really looks like it is new (seems like it isn't driven much) where there are some 2012 red cars that are really starting to look bad.
I could be wrong, but I suspect that, when Steve said that the color might not "age well", he was not talking about whether it was likely to become dull, fade, or otherwise deteriorate.

There are some auto colors that seem to be popular year after year and decade after decade. Those colors include blacks, whites, reds, silvers, and grays. Cars with such colors can be 10 years old, and they can still come across as being "contemporary". On the other hand, there are other colors that seem to be popular for a year or two, but, after a few years, they fall out of favor, and cars with such colors quickly come across as being "dated". I don't know if Steve was referring to this color as being in that category, but that was my thought when I read his post.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (03-04-17)
Old 03-04-17, 08:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As lesz said, By not aging well I don't mean the paint itself will not age well, I mean colors like that tend to look outdated really quick.

Case in point? Look at an old LS400 in white black or silver, and look at one in burgundy.
Old 03-04-17, 10:30 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah - Didn't even think about color popularity/trend when reading that. Could be wrong, but, as I said in my first post, I'd compare that color to Infiniti's Blue Slate color, which looks pretty good still IMO, even on 2007 model year cars. In person (the pic in the post makes the color look pretty different than in person), I always thought this color had a bit of a gray quality to it, if that makes any sense -- It just looks somewhat neutral.

Of course this is all subjective, and I'm not particularly the trendiest person around
Old 03-04-17, 11:53 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

My wife has GS450H in this color with flaxen interior in luxury package.. First I was not impressed but over a few month color grew on me, looks great under sun, especially that you don't see if it's dirty

Only concern would be light grey / white leather seats, hard to keep it clean....

Here is her's GS with Fsport bumper
Old 03-05-17, 05:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have the grey seats in my LS, no harder to keep clean than the Flaxen which I had in my LS.
Old 03-05-17, 06:03 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
As lesz said, By not aging well I don't mean the paint itself will not age well, I mean colors like that tend to look outdated really quick.

Case in point? Look at an old LS400 in white black or silver, and look at one in burgundy.
Just a couple of days ago, I was thinking about something similar when I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was about 10 or 12 years old. The color of the vehicle was orange. I'm guessing that, in 2005 or so, the orange was a reasonably popular color and that my reaction to seeing that orange Jeep might have been that it was a nice looking vehicle. However, now in 2017, my reaction to seeing that vehicle was that it just looked like an old and out-of-date vehicle. Had that Jeep been, say, silver, which is a more traditional color, I think that my reaction to seeing it might well have been that it was still, at 10 or 12 years old, a nice looking vehicle.

I also find that, for me, personally, when I've bought cars in more traditional colors, I don't "get tired" of seeing and owning the car. When I've occasionally bought a car in a less traditional color, after a short period of time, I've gotten tired of the color and of the car.
Old 03-05-17, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's been exactly my experience...
Old 03-05-17, 08:19 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I think you all are being a little overboard with that color. Orange, yellow, brown, aqua blue, pink, purple. Those are the colors that should never be on a car, and thus why they are more likely to age very badly. The OP's color is fine. Good grief.
Old 03-05-17, 09:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know that anybody is being "overboard" or telling somebody that they shouldn't buy a certain color, in fact I said I really liked that color. BUT, that color is not a "typical, safe" luxury car color, and that will impact resale value, and it may impact your own enjoyment of the car if you were to get tired of the color. You mentioned "aqua blue", I would actually classify that color as "aqua blue".

He asked for opinions and that's what he got, not sure what the issue is.
Old 03-05-17, 09:44 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't know that anybody is being "overboard" or telling somebody that they shouldn't buy a certain color, in fact I said I really liked that color. BUT, that color is not a "typical, safe" luxury car color, and that will impact resale value, and it may impact your own enjoyment of the car if you were to get tired of the color. You mentioned "aqua blue", I would actually classify that color as "aqua blue".

He asked for opinions and that's what he got, not sure what the issue is.
I agree.

One of the reasons why BMW vehicles seem to "age well" is that the vast majority of BMWs on the road are black, white, or silver. When I, on rare occasion, see a BMW in some other color, my thought is that it doesn't look right, and, if I had been in the market for a used BMW, I wouldn't have considered buying one in any "non-typical" colors. And, yes, if demand for cars with those non-typical colors is smaller, their re-sale value will be negatively impacted by that color.

While it may not be to quite the same extent as it is for BMW, for Lexus and other luxury color brands, there are also going to be typical colors that people associate with those luxury brands, and non-typical colors will have lower re-sale value. That is why, when you check a car's value on KBB and other sites, the color of the car is a part of determining its value. Further, there are colors that might be typical for, say, a Chevy Cruze and that might be popular with buyers of a Chevy Cruze, but those same colors might be totally unpopular for buyers of a Lexus. Thus, while those colors might not negatively impact the value of used Chevy Cruze, they will negatively impact the value of a BMW or a Lexus.

I also don't think that it is "overboard" to provide opinions that have been requested by the OP and that add information that would be worth considering before deciding whether a particular color is a good choice or one that the buyer might eventually regret having made.

Quick Reply: Meteor Mica blue opinions