GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Should I add Royal Purple Max Clean Fuel sometime?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 01:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickenNug
Uhhh I don't think you really need them in any car made after 2000.
I would not say no car with all the GDI motors out there.

With the 2GR we have. Some know, some don't. Depends on how well you want you car engine to run at its best peak efficiency,.... or not. So if you want you can just don't worry and run 87 gas, and say it does not matter. It matter personally to me.

"So recently, we purchased a 24,000 mile 2014 IS350 F-sport" "Pulling the plugs and inspecting the pistons showed a bit of excessive carbon buildup.
So we did the following:"

http://blog.rr-racing.com/news/2017/...on-lexus-ecus/

Old 02-14-22, 01:45 PM
ChickenNug
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
I would not say no car with all the GDI motors out there.

With the 2GR we have. Some know, some don't. Depends on how well you want you car engine to run at its best peak efficiency,.... or not. So if you want you can just don't worry and run 87 gas, and say it does not matter. It matter personally to me.

"So recently, we purchased a 24,000 mile 2014 IS350 F-sport" "Pulling the plugs and inspecting the pistons showed a bit of excessive carbon buildup.
So we did the following:"

http://blog.rr-racing.com/news/2017/...on-lexus-ecus/

Now that analogy just doesn’t make sense to me. Just follow the manufacturer’s guidance and get premium gas of course. Like many have mentioned, adding these additives to a known to be reliable engine like 2GR can cause extra problems instead. If you have extra carbon build up, adding additives isn’t the best solution either.
Old 02-14-22, 02:03 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Now that analogy just doesn’t make sense to me. Just follow the manufacturer’s guidance and get premium gas of course. Like many have mentioned, adding these additives to a known to be reliable engine like 2GR can cause extra problems instead. If you have extra carbon build up, adding additives isn’t the best solution either.
/\ IMO the above does not make sense. Being its opinion, vs the facts they stated and the readings.

Being he measured and has had more time comparing and measuring the Data points with the 2GR than likely most others. What did you actually do that can help me understand to back up your statements and results with the 2GR? Maybe this was missing in the reading? Let me know what test you did that showed what you are saying please? Thanks. So we did the following:

(1) Added 1 bottle of Royal Purple Injector cleaner
(2) 1 bottle of Sea Foam intake treatment (and created lots of big smoke clouds). I recommend spraying it all in on a warm engine, then letting it soak for 15min or so. Another option is to using one can of BG44K cleaner (works even better than Sea Foam).

After running through the tank of gas this way, KCLV would immediately shoot to 22! Initially I thought that the bottle of injector treatment improved the fuel quality, but even on successive fill-ups, the KCLV shoots right back up after reset.
Old 02-14-22, 02:21 PM
ChickenNug
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
/\ IMO the above does not make sense. Being its opinion, vs the facts they stated and the readings.

Being he measured and has had more time comparing and measuring the Data points with the 2GR than likely most others. What did you actually do that can help me understand to back up your statements and results with the 2GR? Maybe this was missing in the reading? Let me know what test you did that showed what you are saying please? Thanks. So we did the following:

(1) Added 1 bottle of Royal Purple Injector cleaner
(2) 1 bottle of Sea Foam intake treatment (and created lots of big smoke clouds). I recommend spraying it all in on a warm engine, then letting it soak for 15min or so. Another option is to using one can of BG44K cleaner (works even better than Sea Foam).

After running through the tank of gas this way, KCLV would immediately shoot to 22! Initially I thought that the bottle of injector treatment improved the fuel quality, but even on successive fill-ups, the KCLV shoots right back up after reset.
Explain this poor dudes experience then:

“Ok, Ive gone through two bottles of Royal Purple injector cleaner, so today I thought I would do a few pulls to see if I could bring my KCLV up (from the pitiful 15’s). I did three 6th gear pulls - AND MY KCLV IS WORSE! It was down to 13.2 under 3000 rpm and 12.7 over 3000 rpm! Should I be concerned?
(I dont know if it makes a difference, but I have the RR Racing tune)”

Should I average out your results and say that adding royal purple gives you 17.5 kclv? How do you interpret the result? Do you have control group? Any replication?

Old 02-14-22, 02:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

“Ok, Ive gone through two bottles of Royal Purple injector cleaner, so today I thought I would do a few pulls to see if I could bring my KCLV up (from the pitiful 15’s). I did three 6th gear pulls - AND MY KCLV IS WORSE! It was down to 13.2 under 3000 rpm and 12.7 over 3000 rpm! Should I be concerned?

Should I average out your results and say that adding royal purple gives you 17.5 kclv? How do you interpret the result? Do you have control group? Any replication?
You take a look at the Bold? Again you made the statement that No 2000 plus years car could use, including GDI? lol! My question is what data do you have that you did personally that you can refute RR's recommendations and testing with. Let me know ok? Thanks.

FYI: I have been in two different 2GR top ends with the upper and lower Intake manifold removed. One had 32k, the other 104k. I have seen exactly what they looked like directly down in the Head and Intake ports and Valves. Please share what you have done? I have a few questions I would like to ask about your experience and advise you are giving? Also please quote the thread that you cut only part of the info you copied from. I have seen it and you did not disclose the answers in that thread to the questions you asked?

I will tell you this... one treatment of something in very poor years of neglected condition that was never treated with anything may not be the magic bullet. That makes no sense either. Also read back you original post, now you are kinda moving the goal post. Do you know that both Toyota and Lexus offer a Upper intake cleaning matienence service?
Old 02-14-22, 06:47 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts

What fuel is he running during these pulls? Anything less than 91 would probably trend downward. I'd like to see what happens if he resets it and tries some 93 E10 as that will be a slower combustion and the timing could possibly trend up without hitting knock conditions.