60k mile maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 09:16 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 60k mile maintenance questions

Hey folks,
Just brought the wifes 2013 GS350 F sport into my local dealer for an oil change (she has 62k miles on it). They are recommending spark plugs as well. I wanted to gauge everyone's feedback to see if this truly is necessary and if there is anything else that I should be considering soon service wise? I do plan to keep the car for another 2 years or so. Replacing the plugs requires quite a bit of labor, totalling about $600 for everything.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-23-17, 09:23 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Is that repair quote from the dealership or an indy Lexus mechanic? It seems quite high.
Old 03-23-17, 09:26 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Is that repair quote from the dealership or an indy Lexus mechanic? It seems quite high.
Local Lexus dealer. Normally their prices have always seemed fairly reasonable to me.
Old 03-23-17, 09:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Those spark plugs will last beyond twice the mileage you currently have, and be just as good as they are today. Many car owners go over 200k miles and never replace the spark plugs with no issues or decreased fuel mileage. However, what I do not know is if refusing to replace the spark plugs may cause an issue with any part of the warranty. I can't see how it would, but...
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (05-11-17)
Old 03-23-17, 09:34 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Those spark plugs will last beyond twice the mileage you currently have, and be just as good as they are today. Many car owners go over 200k miles and never replace the spark plugs with no issues or decreased fuel mileage. However, what I do not know is if refusing to replace the spark plugs may cause an issue with any part of the warranty. I can't see how it would, but...
Excellent! Thank you. This was the impression I was under as well. I can see maybe changing them at 100k or thereafter but not at 60k. Any other major maintenance that I should consider other than basic oil and filter changes(tranny fluid, brake fluid flush, etc)?
Old 03-23-17, 09:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
Excellent! Thank you. This was the impression I was under as well. I can see maybe changing them at 100k or thereafter but not at 60k. Any other major maintenance that I should consider other than basic oil and filter changes(tranny fluid, brake fluid flush, etc)?
Replacing the spark plugs at 60k miles is 'Required under the terms of the Emission Control Warranty'. Therefore, if you are not concerned with voiding the Emission Control Warranty, then there is no need to replace the spark plugs. I personally would not replace the spark plugs.

At 60k miles you will want to change the engine oil and oil filter. Also, replace the brake fluid if you plan on keeping the car for many years to come. You should have the cabin air filter and engine air filter checked to see if they need replacing. Everything else will be inspections, which may find other things that are needed, e.g. brake pads, etc.

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1..._GS350_WSG.pdf (See page 55)
Old 03-23-17, 09:56 AM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Replacing the spark plugs at 60k miles is 'Required under the terms of the Emission Control Warranty'. Therefore, if you are not concerned with voiding the Emission Control Warranty, then there is no need to replace the spark plugs. I personally would not replace the spark plugs.

At 60k miles you will want to change the engine oil and oil filter. Also, replace the brake fluid if you plan on keeping the car for many years to come. You should have the cabin air filter and engine air filter checked to see if they need replacing. Everything else will be inspections, which may find other things that are needed, e.g. brake pads, etc.

Was just going to write about the Emission Warranty requiring replacement to keep intact
Old 03-23-17, 10:00 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I just hit 60k myself.
Old 03-23-17, 10:32 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Good advice. I wont bother with the plugs for a while then. I already did pads and rotors all the way around last fall. I will likely to the brake fluid flush later this year.
Old 03-23-17, 10:47 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Plugs is one of those things that's worth to learn to change yourself, Iridium plugs are right around $10/piece. Granted our cars aren't the easiest to change and there's some stuff that you got to move out of the way to get to some of them, it still shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours even if it's your first time doing it(better if you can find a friend/family who has experience). $600 is pretty ridiculous for plugs on a longitudinally mounted V6... I guess I could see it cost that much for more difficult cars with transverse mounted or boxer engines.
Old 03-23-17, 11:10 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by er34
Plugs is one of those things that's worth to learn to change yourself, Iridium plugs are right around $10/piece. Granted our cars aren't the easiest to change and there's some stuff that you got to move out of the way to get to some of them, it still shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours even if it's your first time doing it(better if you can find a friend/family who has experience). $600 is pretty ridiculous for plugs on a longitudinally mounted V6... I guess I could see it cost that much for more difficult cars with transverse mounted or boxer engines.
I agree! I normally wouldn't mind doing this myself but the dealer made it sound somewhat complicated.....of course I used to do all of my own oil changes, filters, etc. Now with a 3 year old, my time is just a bit more limited, ha! I have a buddy who is a Porsche / Mercedes mechanic, so if it comes down to it, I can use him.
Old 04-06-17, 09:20 AM
tekno2566
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
I agree! I normally wouldn't mind doing this myself but the dealer made it sound somewhat complicated.....of course I used to do all of my own oil changes, filters, etc. Now with a 3 year old, my time is just a bit more limited, ha! I have a buddy who is a Porsche / Mercedes mechanic, so if it comes down to it, I can use him.
I agree - it is one of the easiest things to do. I just hit 60k myself and replaced the sparks in the parking lot of my residence. I used the link below as my reference, it took me a little less than an hour to do. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-service.html
The following users liked this post:
bigbwb (04-06-17)
Old 04-07-17, 04:50 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Spark plugs normally last at least until 100K miles to well past that, I know several people who did not change them to 200K miles. $600 to replace spark plugs is ridiculous and highway robbery. I would buy your own and just learn to do them yourself and save at least $500+ dollars.
Old 04-07-17, 05:40 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Spark plugs normally last at least until 100K miles to well past that, I know several people who did not change them to 200K miles. $600 to replace spark plugs is ridiculous and highway robbery. I would buy your own and just learn to do them yourself and save at least $500+ dollars.
Yeah I'm at 65k and decided to wait to replace the plugs just seems like I should wait until 100k at least. But im glad I came across this thread my dealer here in Maryland quoted me $500
Old 04-07-17, 05:57 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

If you drive hard and redline the engine consistently, I would recommend changing it according to the manual.

I had my sport bike since new, the manual recommends changing the spark plug at 10k. I ride it hard and redline whenever possible. At 9500 miles the spark plug failed and caused misfire. After spark plug change, it was running like new again

Quick Reply: 60k mile maintenance questions