GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 07:59 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Transmission Issues?

Ive noticed when driving the GS I get slightly rough downshifts when approaching a red light and slowing down. It's kinda hard to explain, it happens at low speed and feels like the car downshifted a little to early and it's usually two jerks. Although they are very light and seems to happen when I come to a rolling stop braking lightly instead of braking to a complete stop. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I'm always paranoid about car issues and want to be on top of things. So is this just a normal characteristic of this car?

Any other time, hard acceleration, easy acceleration, hard cornering, aggressive stop and go, casual driving, no issues, no hesitation or performance issues.

I have a 2013 GS350 AWD with almost 41k.
Old 03-31-17, 08:10 PM
00o0ooo
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...016-gs350.html

I started this similar thread and I think it is just what it is. Although mine is the new 8 speed.
Old 03-31-17, 08:15 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for sharing. It seems your issue is taking off, not stopping. Mine happens only when coming to a stop. I will have to pay more attention though, I think what people are saying about the transmission being cold might be right. Once things are warmed up and running smoothly it should all be smooth. My drives can be short sometimes. Although it's hard to know when the transmission is warmed up compared to the engine. I assume the engine and transmission warm up around the same time.
Old 04-03-17, 12:00 AM
vinceis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have this problem but my transmission is also whining. Dealership keep telling me they can duplicate the sound....
have anyone attempt to change their trans fluid.
I have a 2013 gs350 awe with 77k miles
Old 12-15-17, 10:41 AM
TXGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile High mileage GS 350 F Sport

Originally Posted by vinceis250
I also have this problem but my transmission is also whining. Dealership keep telling me they can duplicate the sound....
have anyone attempt to change their trans fluid.
I have a 2013 gs350 awe with 77k miles
I have a 2013 F Sport with almost 120K miles on it. I'm getting my transmission fluid changed this weekend by Lexus. They initially did not want to change it stating that it was a "lifetime" fluid. I called a local Toyota dealership and they said they recommended it be done every 100K/10 YR intervals. So I called the Lexus dealer back and told them what Toyota dealer said, so they agreed to do the service for $295.00. This is a complete fluid change (approx. 11 quarts). I plan on keeping this car long term so want to make sure the tranny doesn't go out on me before it hits 300K miles.
Old 12-15-17, 11:31 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,158 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by TXGSF
I have a 2013 F Sport with almost 120K miles on it. I'm getting my transmission fluid changed this weekend by Lexus. They initially did not want to change it stating that it was a "lifetime" fluid. I called a local Toyota dealership and they said they recommended it be done every 100K/10 YR intervals. So I called the Lexus dealer back and told them what Toyota dealer said, so they agreed to do the service for $295.00. This is a complete fluid change (approx. 11 quarts). I plan on keeping this car long term so want to make sure the tranny doesn't go out on me before it hits 300K miles.
Awesome to hear that you have almost 120k miles on your 4GS! Did you buy it with high mileage? Any major issues to report during the time of your ownership?
Old 12-15-17, 11:45 AM
TXGSF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Awesome to hear that you have almost 120k miles on your 4GS! Did you buy it with high mileage? Any major issues to report during the time of your ownership?
Yes, it had higher mileage than normal when I purchased it 3 years ago. I've had zero problems with it so far, but I keep pretty good maintenance on it (fluids, filters, pads, brakes, plugs, etc.). So far, I've done all the work myself, but decided to let Lexus do the transmission fluid replacement because of the amount of work to do it VS the amount I'm saving if I do it myself (12 quarts of ATF WS approx. $140). Also, I was going to do the drain and fill method over the course of many miles, while they can do it all at once. The brakes were pretty easy to do and the rotors are the still the original ones, but I will need new ones next time around (thinking about going slotted and drilled). No complaints so far.
There is a guy on YouTube called DIY Dan that has this same car and has several DIY videos on maintenance, highly recommend his videos, A+!
Old 12-15-17, 11:56 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,158 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by TXGSF
Yes, it had higher mileage than normal when I purchased it 3 years ago. I've had zero problems with it so far, but I keep pretty good maintenance on it (fluids, filters, pads, brakes, plugs, etc.). So far, I've done all the work myself, but decided to let Lexus do the transmission fluid replacement because of the amount of work to do it VS the amount I'm saving if I do it myself (12 quarts of ATF WS approx. $140). Also, I was going to do the drain and fill method over the course of many miles, while they can do it all at once. The brakes were pretty easy to do and the rotors are the still the original ones, but I will need new ones next time around (thinking about going slotted and drilled). No complaints so far.
There is a guy on YouTube called DIY Dan that has this same car and has several DIY videos on maintenance, highly recommend his videos, A+!
Definitely familiar with DIYDan - great content with his vids for sure. Have you experienced any issues with the transmission or you are just changing it based on the Toyota dealership's recommendation? Do you have RWD or AWD?
Old 12-15-17, 12:37 PM
TXGSF
Driver School Candidate

No transmission issues at all. I just want to keep it going strong so I figured I'd do it now. I have the AWD version F Sport.
Old 12-15-17, 12:51 PM
TXGSF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Ive noticed when driving the GS I get slightly rough downshifts when approaching a red light and slowing down. It's kinda hard to explain, it happens at low speed and feels like the car downshifted a little to early and it's usually two jerks. Although they are very light and seems to happen when I come to a rolling stop braking lightly instead of braking to a complete stop. It doesn't really bother me that much, but I'm always paranoid about car issues and want to be on top of things. So is this just a normal characteristic of this car?

Any other time, hard acceleration, easy acceleration, hard cornering, aggressive stop and go, casual driving, no issues, no hesitation or performance issues.

I have a 2013 GS350 AWD with almost 41k.
Do you have it in Sport Mode when this rough downshifting occurs? If so, I believe its designed to do that. I believe I read somewhere that Sport mode alters the ratio at which the transmission shifts in and out of gears. If someone else know anything additionally, please share. Thanks
Old 12-18-17, 10:52 AM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only drive in sport mode and I've noticed if I press the brakes a little too hard it does the double downshift. I think in sport mode the car uses engine braking to help slow down faster because I've tested the same in normal mode and it doesn't happen.
Old 04-26-21, 06:22 PM
wan8dan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to turn on this 2017 discussion because this jerk-clunk coming to a stop is happening to my 2006 IS350 as well. No engine light or anything. However, without stepping on the brake and let it glide to stop, no jerk-clunk, but happens only with brake. Since this threads discuss 2006 GS, wondering if all the solutions posted here applies to 2006 IS350?
Old 04-26-21, 08:48 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

If in sport mode you might also be feeling rev matching when braking.