GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Annoying tick/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 10:11 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
You are about as OCD as I am hahah. Also sounds like your car had as many rattles as mine currently does... actually you may have had more. I would love to see some pictures of the areas you added felt, and where exactly you added felt, if you have any pictures. I think the vent on the passenger side of my dash is making the same ticking as mentioned in this post, and I think I also have a rattle in the B pillar, maybe from the seat belt adjuster as you mentioned. Annoying that these cars have so many rattles and ticks, it's a 60k car, and the road noise is pretty quiet in the cabin, so these rattles are even more obvious.

Also interested in what kind of felt you guys are using. Is it just regular felt, or is there adhesive on one side so that you can stick it to things?
There are some others but whatever is coming from the driver side vent is enough to make me want to trade the car. Two dealers have already worked on this and it's better but not gone. If I bought the car used, I might not be as obsessed with it as I am but this one had 41 miles on it when I bought it last December. I have been in another 2016 GS and heard the same noise.
Old 10-30-17, 10:14 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Totally understand how you feel on this. I think the one on my passenger side is probably the same thing that is happening on your driver side, and it would drive me nuts for sure if it was on the driver side. Crazy that two dealers couldn't fix it for you.
Old 10-30-17, 03:56 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Interesting to see your thread.
I have the same problem since brand new.
I find that it isn't my side vent that is rattling, but the wood trim below the driver's side vent.
It only occurs in the warmer months; it disappears in the colder months like December, January and February.
If I place my finger on the wood trim, it stops rattling.
I will try to remove the trims, and investigate.

Occasionally, some area under my head up display HUD rattles too, though only occasionally, and I haven't had this rattle for a while.

With my air con off in the colder months, my 3.5 will often idle poorly in Drive.
Put it into Neutral, and the idle is much better.
With the aircon/heater switched on, it seems to bump up the idle speed, and idle much more smoothly.
Lexus service tried to fix by cleaning out the air sensor, and it did work initially by bumping up the idle speed, but after a month or two, with the air con/heater off in Drive, the idle speed has fallen again, and back comes the poor idle.
I have to wonder if it is not so much the dirt accumulated in the air sensor, but a fault in the design of the air sensor?
Can we clean the air sensor ourselves???

My previous Lexiis with 2.5 and 3.0 V6's didn't idle perfectly, but they idled much better than Lexus' 3.5 V6.
The Lexus 2.5 and 3.0 V6's also revved much more smoothly than my 3.5 V6, though the 3.5 has much more punch...
Old 11-02-17, 05:21 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Can’t get the vent register out without removing some trim around instrument cluster. May play around with it over the weekend and look for some felt.
Old 11-03-17, 07:09 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

If it's not too much trouble, post some pics please!
Old 11-04-17, 10:31 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Removed the vent yesterday. The anonymous rattle is gone (I think it's the wheel in the vent that you dial to shut off the vent). It's actually a wheel behind the one you see. That's the only thing that really rattles on the vent piece. The dealer did do a good job padding a lot of things in and around this area but I'm going to do more.

Old 11-04-17, 11:04 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Hope ya get it corrected. There's nothing more annoying than a rattle that you can't fix.
Old 11-06-17, 04:33 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Removed box that’s the auto dim switch, heated steering wheel, etc. and still hear something that for the life of me can’t isolate. It’s not constant but say 50% of the time. It’s maddening. I’ve ordered felt and insulation that I’m going to install over the weekend to try and dampen/absorb the noise.
Old 11-06-17, 04:47 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Keep trying! It's very frustrating to not narrow down where the gremlin lies. I know it sounds crazy but, maybe stick something down inside the vent like a screwdriver or something and leave it in there while you drive it. Sometimes the farthest idea from your mind might solve the problem. Years ago on an older car I had a trunk leak. I had my girlfriend close the lid on me while in there with a flashlight . I had her run the garden hose over it while I shined the flashlight around the weatherstrip and found the leak. I'm glad she let me out afterwards!
Old 11-06-17, 05:01 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Think it’s time to park the GS and drive the Fleetwood!

Old 11-06-17, 05:30 PM
charley95
Pole Position

That's funny! I just got rid of my 91 Fleetwood Brougham. It was white w/red leather in the RWD version. The car was 19 feet long. It was a great road trip car and has traveled the country many times. In my opinion there will never be a car made that has seats as comfortable as they were. I was never fatigued in those seats and interior room was second to none. Is your Caddy your winter driver?
Old 11-06-17, 05:50 PM
charley95
Pole Position

I remember when you posted when you got your new GS. I talked with Johnson Lexus in Raleigh today about possibly ordering a new F Sport. In the early stages now of starting my search. He said a special order would take 3-5 months to arrive. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do at this stage. I might buy one from dealer stock but dealer stock will not have triple beams on the RWD version. I'm pretty obcessed with that option but have to decide if it's worth the extra $$ to special order a car with it. A better deal will be had from dealer stock. Didn't you buy yours from Johnson?
Old 11-06-17, 05:55 PM
baon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange. I actually was so irritated by a rattle on the driver side (GS 2016) so I came to the GS forum to check it out. I heard it around the coin compartment so I thought it was my quarters bouncing around but I removed them and it is still there. Maybe it is the same problem that you guys are having. It is bugging me to the point where I just want the next maintenance to come already.
Old 11-06-17, 06:13 PM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baon
Strange. I actually was so irritated by a rattle on the driver side (GS 2016) so I came to the GS forum to check it out. I heard it around the coin compartment so I thought it was my quarters bouncing around but I removed them and it is still there. Maybe it is the same problem that you guys are having. It is bugging me to the point where I just want the next maintenance to come already.
keep us posted if they figure it out.
Old 11-07-17, 11:11 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by charley95
That's funny! I just got rid of my 91 Fleetwood Brougham. It was white w/red leather in the RWD version. The car was 19 feet long. It was a great road trip car and has traveled the country many times. In my opinion there will never be a car made that has seats as comfortable as they were. I was never fatigued in those seats and interior room was second to none. Is your Caddy your winter driver?
No, I drive them both year round but when it's snow/ice here, I'm in the Caddy because it's FWD.

Quick Reply: Annoying tick/rattle