GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Annoying tick/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 06:29 PM
GS4VIPbOSS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm annoyed with the overall quality of this vehicle - the engine to fit and finish same issues here
Old 10-15-18, 06:17 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

@6speediroc......please post your pics when you can. I'm very interested in seeing them.
Old 10-15-18, 09:15 AM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speediroc
So my rattle came back as soon as the weather for cold (10c). I took out the cluster and vent assembly and the trim that required removal to get the cluster out. FYI you can drive the car without the cluster but the turn signals don't work.
I disassembled the cluster and added some foam to one part in there, but I dont think that was the issue. It turns out the large dash structure has a small part that sits and rubs on a part of the dash support metal structure. I put a small piece of leather with double sided tape on it between the two parts. The issue is gone after a week of driving! I'm very happy at this point as it was making me nuts. The rubbing parts are right behind the green tape in the photo.
I also removed the front trim PC from the upper left side dash vent when it was out of the car as it rattled a little when checking all the parts. I put felt tape at all the clip parts.

I'll upload the photos asap..can't get them off my phone here.
appreciate if you can share what needs to padded
Old 10-15-18, 07:51 PM
6speediroc
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Post #75 updated with pics and more info!!
The following users liked this post:
xpandabl3 (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 05:31 AM
xpandabl3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you so much for this. When I got my 2018 two months ago, it also had rattle noise when idling or put into drive but never make noise when driving. It started happening right after I drove off the dealer lot when waiting for second red light....I thought I was hearing things. I did remove the left air vent and I could hear the noise is coming from the inside. Strange thing is as I put on more KMs, the noise start to become less and less apparent. Maybe the plastic is grinding away from the metal so it finally has enough space so it does't make noise lol.
Old 09-04-19, 09:45 AM
smalkin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I've gotten rid of all the ticks in my car with felt. To find any potential problem areas I just push with my finger, if it makes a noise it needs felt. 90% of the time it's plastic on plastic or plastic on metal.

Here are all the areas I fixed:
The seat belt adjustment in the b pillars
The plastic trim around the 12.3 inch display
The leather bolsters around the front center console
The front center cupholder
The armrest for the nav control
The front center armrest.
The tray in the rear fold down armrest.
The drivers door controls

Now I have absolutely no ticks or rattles.

I've also added sound deadner in the doors, trunk. Also closed cell foam in the doors, under the rear seats, under the carpet.
Sound deadner and waterproof closed cell foam in the wheel wells.
Also ditched the bridgestones for Peralli P7 All Season Plus.

Car is quieter than stock and the bass response from the mark levinson sound system has improved. I also have the 450h so there is hardly any significant motor noise(unless I really push it) and nearly dead silent at low speeds in ev mode.
You are my hero...i pretty much have all the ticks you mentions. Quick question: how/where did you apply felt tape in case of the armrest for the nav control? i cant figure out how to pull it apart? thank you!