GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Replace factory Nav Hard Drive with an SSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-17, 10:02 AM
microsup
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

A little bit off topic, but has any of you tried to clone navigation SD card?
Old 12-19-19, 10:22 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Sorry to revive old thread but I just saw it was mentioned in another thread. I quickly searched and see that there are softwares out there that can recover a password from an ATA locked drive. https://blog.atola.com/extracting-password/ . Maybe you can recover the password and then lock the SSD with the same password.
Old 12-20-19, 01:25 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

Looks like that would work.as long as the system has the driver to read the new HDD. The decoder box is only 10 grand!
Old 12-20-19, 01:48 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Sorry to revive old thread but I just saw it was mentioned in another thread. I quickly searched and see that there are softwares out there that can recover a password from an ATA locked drive. https://blog.atola.com/extracting-password/ . Maybe you can recover the password and then lock the SSD with the same password.
I gave up on this long ago and ended up retrofitting a 2015 head unit. I'm not sure if it's just an ata lock, Lexus probably had some background authentication going on, thats probably hard to hack.
Old 12-20-19, 02:55 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts

It will be interesting to see whether or not the drives start to die with age, I haven't heard of one going out of warranty yet? Hopefully they outlive the vehicle because they're $1.5K each from Lexuspartsnow which means my dealer would likely sell it for 3-4K USD. Fingers crossed...for that money I'd rather make her look sexier.

What are the odds that the 32 byte ATA PW is a 'master' across all 4GS rather than set per vehicle?
Old 12-20-19, 07:05 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I gave up on this long ago and ended up retrofitting a 2015 head unit. I'm not sure if it's just an ata lock, Lexus probably had some background authentication going on, thats probably hard to hack.
I tried to drop the image I extracted onto an SSD, but it wouldn't boot properly, forget what errors I got, but I assumed it was a problem w the process I used to move the image coupled with the fact that the new drive was not an identical size.

I didn't invest a great deal of time in it, but I don't think it was the ata boot lock that was the issue.
Old 12-27-19, 11:34 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Any guides on this?
What's the benefit to the 2015 headunit?
Old 12-28-19, 10:51 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Any guides on this?
What's the benefit to the 2015 headunit?
Here is the list of updates to the multimedia system:

2015 GS
* Home screen divided into three sections (customizable for HVAC, audio, traffic, MID)
* SD Card based Navigation instead of 4200 RPM HDD
* Navigation equipped vehicles
* 3D maps; with bird’s eye view mode
* 3D buildings; key buildings/landmarks
* My traffic routes; preset frequently used routes, ETA for routes
* Speed limit display on road traveled
* ETA calculation improved (speed limit, current traffic, predictive traffic data)
* Traffic detour preview; alternate route options offered when traffic becomes heavy
* Predictive traffic; provides view of traffic ahead based on Clear Channel Total Traffic Network (15 minute increments)
* MID data sharing; content from headunit displayed in MID (e.g. song information, NAV direction, call info.)
* Voice Recognition
* One-shot address entry
* Steering wheel control of onboard/offboard voice recognition
* Voice Recognition Guidance Level; ability to choose voice prompt level (High/Low/Off)
* Hint screens
* Cache Radio; ability to pause live AM/FM radio and HD Radio (15 minutes later)
* Hybrid Data Service
* Traffic and Weather data provided via HD Radio (free to all users while in HD Radio range)
* Display Audio has basic traffic map and weather forecast
* NAV-equipped vehicles have up to date and predictive traffic, Doppler weather and weather forecast
* NAV-equipped vehicles w/Lexus Enform App Suite can continue to receive data outside of HD Radio range (switches to cellular connectivity when outside of HD Radio range

2014 GS
* Enhanced Bluetooth capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio.
* MP3 sound enhancement, 5.1 simulated surround-sound from normal two channel sources such as MP3 files and CDs
* HD Radio™ with iTunes tagging and a three-month all-access trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio are standard.
* Siri® Eyes Free mode
Old 05-30-20, 05:26 PM
fillerf
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just found this in another forum
Some Volvo , Mitsubishi and Lexus units seems to have some stuff in common for the units with harddisk
so if someone is testing ATA password . then give this a try
"The user password is "siihakawhc2o6937" followed by 16 spaces (thus the total length is 32 byte. Ignore the quotes) and will allow full access to the drive but will not allow to modify the drive's security parameters. This should be safe for non ATA experts, but keep in mind you can still ruin the system by e.g. altering the partition table."
from this this post
https://www.volvov40club.com/threads...n.22873/page-2

cheers
andreas
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-31-20)
Old 05-30-20, 10:11 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fillerf
Just found this in another forum
Some Volvo , Mitsubishi and Lexus units seems to have some stuff in common for the units with harddisk
so if someone is testing ATA password . then give this a try
"The user password is "siihakawhc2o6937" followed by 16 spaces (thus the total length is 32 byte. Ignore the quotes) and will allow full access to the drive but will not allow to modify the drive's security parameters. This should be safe for non ATA experts, but keep in mind you can still ruin the system by e.g. altering the partition table."
from this this post
https://www.volvov40club.com/threads...n.22873/page-2

cheers
andreas
Would be interesting to have someone successfully copy the drive to an ssd and have it boot, but I've moved way past this, retrofitted 2016 head unit/screen into my car.
Old 05-31-20, 05:22 PM
fillerf
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah getting it modified with a newer system is a god thing , and i think it will be needed as these drives get older..

If I have the time this autumn i will look into in the late summer or autumn
I and I can also get the ATA password sorted out cheaply by a company that works on saving disks, if it comes to that..
I saw from your post You tried a lot of stuff, and its most likely more than just ATA password problems :-/
Old 12-09-21, 04:21 PM
elaruwan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heya,

If anyone could get me access to a drive even if it does have an ata lock that would be great. These things can be bypassed, and if not, at worst perhaps do some emulation and read the password as the headunit sends it.

Unfortunately I own a Japanese import, and don't want to bother spending my time on my own drive when I cant even read whats on the screen!

Cheers!
Old 12-09-21, 04:38 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Would be interesting to have someone successfully copy the drive to an ssd and have it boot, but I've moved way past this, retrofitted 2016 head unit/screen into my car.
Seems the simpler way to go if you can find the 16+ at a good price.
Old 12-09-21, 04:43 PM
elaruwan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing the parallel to serial conversion is possible, the ATA commands are the same. I just don't see the point. The drives last a decade or so anyway.
Old 02-14-24, 10:23 AM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 170 Likes on 128 Posts

I know this is a super old thread, but I stumbled upon it while searching around for info on head unit hard drives (for the thread where the SD card corrupted the drive).

It looks like someone was able to do the clone. They actually referenced this thread.
https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic....43701&p=306325

I'm wondering if a locked drive can be used between another head unitvor if it will only take a new unlocked drive (to then lock).
​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
FullMetalM (02-16-24)

Quick Reply: Replace factory Nav Hard Drive with an SSD