GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rain sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 04:28 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rain sensor issue

Hey everyone my rain sensors are not working on my 2013 Lexus GS this is my 6th Lexus vehicle so I'm familiar with how they operate and how to use the feature. When I select auto the wipers move to indicate the setting is working however when it rains outside nothing happens I have to keep the wipers on manual mode. I took the sensor out made sure it was clean seems to look fine. The dealer charges $135 just to diag the issue. Is there a fuse that may go out for the rain sensor or should I just take it to the dealer? Thanks for any help or feedback.

Last edited by Twizgs; 12-01-17 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-14-17, 08:15 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

II don't know if its the right fuse or not but heres what the fuse should be. the fuse will locate in the inside driver side fuse box. u can try to see if any of the following fuse blown. wiper ign(5A), wiper (30A), and lh ign (10A)

one more thing is make sure u set to auto and the light is green on the stalk and power some water to see if it work or not.

only the 10A give power to the sensor and the dome light, if the dome light works then the fuse is good so it will be ur sensor that is bad. is it all of a sudden it don't work no more?

Last edited by richard203; 04-14-17 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-15-17, 07:11 AM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
II don't know if its the right fuse or not but heres what the fuse should be. the fuse will locate in the inside driver side fuse box. u can try to see if any of the following fuse blown. wiper ign(5A), wiper (30A), and lh ign (10A)

one more thing is make sure u set to auto and the light is green on the stalk and power some water to see if it work or not.

only the 10A give power to the sensor and the dome light, if the dome light works then the fuse is good so it will be ur sensor that is bad. is it all of a sudden it don't work no more?
yeah the green light is on the wiper stick and all my dome lights are functional so weird that it just stop working all of a sudden. I checked and the windshield still says Lexus so it doesn't look like it was replaced.
Old 04-15-17, 09:06 AM
MrKoo
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

ive read somewhere a few months ago about the wiper relay going bad and causing this. i have the same issue just never got around to swapping the relay out...hope this helps.
Old 04-15-17, 10:05 AM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same problem... apparently, when my windshield was replaced, repair guy forgot to remove 'clear gasket piece' that located between rain sensor & glass from old windshield. Try to remove sensor and see if it there or not.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...219050c04d.jpg

Last edited by shurik74; 04-15-17 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (05-16-18)
Old 04-15-17, 11:03 PM
Gordy35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 13 GS350 F-Sport and my rain sensing wipers would work sometimes and not others, when I tried to turn them on they will start to move then stop, and when I moved the wiper stalk the wiper would move but stop where it was when I let the wiper lever go. Took it into Lexus and they replaced the wiper control relays and that seem to fix the problem. Apparently this has happened quite a bit because other members have had the same problem.
Old 04-16-17, 07:08 AM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

I park outside and always have my auto on (live in the NW so it's always raining). I've learned the auto doesn't kick on until the rain droplets start streaking or new drops start showing up. I usually just cycle the auto off/on and it picks up right away. Not a big deal to me.
Old 03-19-18, 01:35 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy35
I have a 13 GS350 F-Sport and my rain sensing wipers would work sometimes and not others, when I tried to turn them on they will start to move then stop, and when I moved the wiper stalk the wiper would move but stop where it was when I let the wiper lever go. Took it into Lexus and they replaced the wiper control relays and that seem to fix the problem. Apparently this has happened quite a bit because other members have had the same problem.
I'm having this exact problem. Any idea on the part number or how much it cost to get fixed?
Old 03-19-18, 04:52 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Me too, any info about the relay and where it located at ?
Old 03-20-18, 07:20 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nguyenazn
Me too, any info about the relay and where it located at ?
Not sure, gonna check mylparts.com or call my cousin mechanic and see if he knows. If I find out I'll let you know.
Nguyenazn (03-20-18)
Old 03-26-18, 12:35 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Ok guys here is the solution:

First the symptoms:

Wipers stop working randomly in Auto mode. Low and High settings work fine, as soon as you go back to auto they freeze where they are on the windshield. Also when you move the stick up once for "mist" the wipers do not move.

The fix:
Open your hood and open the fuse box on the driver side of the car. Flip over the lid and you will see 2 squares labeled "wip" and "int", they are brown orangeish colored. These 2 relays are for your wipers. You can swap these 2 relays since they are the same part number and then try your wipers again (make sure to close your hood to avoid your wipers from hitting the hood). The auto function should start working again some what, mine still was a bit whacky. This indicates a bad relay. Go to Toyota or Lexus dealer and buy a new relay and replace the faulty "wip" relay.

The old part number is: 90987-04004
When you give them this, the guy told me there is an updated part, that one should work fine.

My wipers work great now.
Im2bz2p345 (03-27-18)
Old 03-27-18, 03:36 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Mine symptoms are :
1. The auto mode don't work at all. It moves when i first put it in auto and then stops completely. ( Auto Light is still turn on fine )
2. Sometimes, when i put the wiper in to mist mode, 2/10 they would not move at all. I had to double tap UP several times to get it to work.
Could it be anything else beside the relays ?
Old 03-27-18, 04:34 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nguyenazn
Mine symptoms are :
1. The auto mode don't work at all. It moves when i first put it in auto and then stops completely. ( Auto Light is still turn on fine )
2. Sometimes, when i put the wiper in to mist mode, 2/10 they would not move at all. I had to double tap UP several times to get it to work.
Could it be anything else beside the relays ?
I think so, mine degraded in functionality until it stopped working completely. It's a 60 dollar relay but worth trying.
Old 03-27-18, 06:55 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Thanks for the fast reply ! I checked the relays and they are working perfectly fine with my fluke meter !
Old 03-28-18, 05:06 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Bad news from me too. After replacing the relay, the problem is back. Now it stops working at random again. Back to square one. I'm taking it to my mechanic to see what is going on.

Quick Reply: Rain sensor issue