GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

how can you remove Water-Repellent coating from side windows

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 09:24 AM
piton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can you remove Water-Repellent coating from side windows

how can you remove Water-Repellent coating from side windows - I really don't like how the water beads up. It causes too much reflection.

thx
Old 04-18-17, 12:24 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

It will wear off eventually.

Maybe try clay bar-ing the windows?
The following users liked this post:
piton (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 01:39 PM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could also try something like Optimum Power Clean, or another soap/shampoo that has a tar and bug remover formula. Try posting this question in the Automotive Care and Detailing forum. There's a lot of knowledgeable detail enthusiasts there.
piton (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 05:27 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Firdt time seeing people complain about the water repellent. I love it
Im2bz2p345 (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 08:52 PM
dano
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure the rain repellant coating is applied during the manufacturing of the window and is "fired in" during the bending and tempering/laminating process. It's not like a super version of RainX. It's actually a chemical film that bonds permanently with the glass when it reaches around 1200 degrees. I've never heard of anyone not liking this feature.
Old 04-18-17, 09:51 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow, quite different from my experience and opinion. I apply Rain-x on top to get extra beading. My understanding is they use a titanium silica glazing. Lexus claims you can contact them if it wears off. Naturally they don't give indications on how to remove it.

I'm not sure I understand your discontent with it and what you mean by "too much reflection." Under what circumstances does it reflect too much?

My experience with water beading and glass is that if you apply a good coating of bug guts or tree sap, the water will sheet instead of bead. Not sure that's what you're looking for...
Old 04-19-17, 08:08 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,213 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by spoogenet
Wow, quite different from my experience and opinion. I apply Rain-x on top to get extra beading. My understanding is they use a titanium silica glazing. Lexus claims you can contact them if it wears off. Naturally they don't give indications on how to remove it.

I'm not sure I understand your discontent with it and what you mean by "too much reflection." Under what circumstances does it reflect too much?

My experience with water beading and glass is that if you apply a good coating of bug guts or tree sap, the water will sheet instead of bead. Not sure that's what you're looking for...
Where can the OP purchase a small container of high quality bug guts?
Old 04-19-17, 09:44 AM
piton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spoogenet

thanks for putting it so succinctly spoogenet! that's exactly the alternative that I'm looking for, except not bug guts OR tree sap - I want both! :-)
Old 04-19-17, 08:24 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Take a road trip, drive through Louisiana back roads in the evening, then go park under a tree for a few days.

That, or you can rush out to your nearest farm & pick up some bovine serum albumin...whatever that is.
https://phys.org/news/2014-07-nanopa...g-beading.html

Unfortunately a search for hydrophilic products didn't yield much result unless you have access to an ion beam or some other fancy gizmos not found in the typical garage.