'13 F Sport AWD tire help - pot hole troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 01:58 PM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '13 F Sport AWD tire help - pot hole troubles

Hey guys,

recently crushed a pot hole here in Richmond, VA and killed the front passenger tire. Currently, the car has Continental ContiProContact 235/40R19 96V in the front and ContiProContact 235/40R19 92H in the rear.

The shop I took it to said that because it is an AWD, he would not advise changing just one tire...so he suggested changing both front tires. The price he gave me for that tire is $325 each and also suggested an alignment @ 99.95.

I guess I am posting because I know next to nothing about cars and can't help but feel like I am being tricked at times. Can anyone chime in with any input/advice?

Tires have about 15k miles on them.
Old 04-25-17, 07:07 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

This is a tough spot to be in. The same thing happened to me a few years ago when I blew out the Front and Rear passenger side tires on my AWD after hitting a sneaky, nasty pothole.

The differentials and transfer case have some tolerance levels but if you plan to keep the car for a long time, its probably best to keep things as even as possible. I recommend that since you have about 15k miles on the existing tires, you do change out at least two tires...putting the two new ones in the rear and the older ones in the front.

Truthfully, it may be worthwhile to change out all four. You might find a better overall value in switching out all four than just two. Tirerack has your tires for $225 each...you're local guy is a little pricey (but understandably). Lexus has an April special of $100 off 4 tires (https://www.lexustirecenter.com/).
Old 04-25-17, 08:05 PM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply.

I guess the the only thing I don't quite understand is why you think there might be more
value in buying 4 new tires?
Old 04-25-17, 08:28 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by rmklotz4
Thanks for your reply.

I guess the the only thing I don't quite understand is why you think there might be more
value in buying 4 new tires?
I'm thinking because you'll always have mismatched tires unless at some point you decide to change them all (i figure why not just do it now). Also, typically the specials most companies run are for four tires.
Old 04-26-17, 06:12 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

$325 per tire? What kind of tires are they? That seems way too much if they are stock sizes, ever go to discount tire?
Old 04-26-17, 09:31 AM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

They are what I have on there now... ContiProContact

My Lexus service advisor told me they are having a tire special until the end of the month...

I will check out tire rack.

Would any of you go with just the 2 tire replacement or would all 4 be the best route?
Old 04-26-17, 10:36 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

They are what I have on there now... ContiProContact

My Lexus service advisor told me they are having a tire special until the end of the month...

I will check out tire rack.

Would any of you go with just the 2 tire replacement or would all 4 be the best route?
Sounds like NTB? I was looking at those myself, decided to get everything thru discount because they have WAY better service here. I went with Yokohama YK740 and I was happy with them. Are they the same tires that are on the rear? It probably isn't a good idea to mismatch tires if they have different tread pattern. I think I paid about $830 with tax, balancing and mounting. I also got a $70 rebate on top of that. 235 /45 R18 98Y XL BSW tires.
Old 04-26-17, 10:55 AM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

I'm torn on replacing 2 front tires....or all 4.

If I replaced all 4 - I would probably change the tire type. Michelin Primacy MXM4...

Right now I have the ContiProContact
Old 04-26-17, 11:55 AM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If I replaced all 4 - I would probably change the tire type. Michelin Primacy MXM4...

I've hit a pothole hard enough to cause that too. What i would suggest is getting just 2 tires from tirerack with the covered road hazard warranty. Getting exactly the same tires or getting new ones (primacys) is your call. I've run snow tires on my car with mismatched Michelin x-ice in the front and Goodyear ultra grip wrts in the rear, did not have a problem.
Old 04-26-17, 12:00 PM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by k0kong
I've hit a pothole hard enough to cause that too. What i would suggest is getting just 2 tires from tirerack with the covered road hazard warranty. Getting exactly the same tires or getting new ones (primacys) is your call. I've run snow tires on my car with mismatched Michelin x-ice in the front and Goodyear ultra grip wrts in the rear, did not have a problem.
Is TireRack's road hazard warranty something unique? That is something I would not get with a purchase from the Lexus dealer?
Old 04-26-17, 12:04 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

I have those on my LS430, did they get discontinued? How much tread is left on them? Also depending on how the original tires were purchased you may have a warranty via credit card, ala amex. Not sure if you purchased the damaged tires or they were original to when you bought them.
Old 04-26-17, 12:16 PM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

If I got only 2 new tires...would it be better to put those in the rear?
Old 04-26-17, 12:32 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

If I got only 2 new tires...would it be better to put those in the rear?
From a safety standpoint it is recommended that new tires should go on the rear.
Old 04-26-17, 12:33 PM
rmklotz4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
From a safety standpoint it is recommended that new tires should go on the rear.
Thanks - even on an AWD vehicle?
Old 04-26-17, 01:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Thanks - even on an AWD vehicle?
Correct. That is what is recommended for FWD, RWD and AWD.

Years ago it was common to put two new tires on the front because it was thought the [front] steering tires were more important, so the newest tires should go on the front. However, it has since been determined by the experts (whoever they may be) that new tires should always be put on the rear because the driver will more easily be able to maintain control on wet roads due to the deeper tread on the new tires, which will resist hydroplaning.

Quick Reply: '13 F Sport AWD tire help - pot hole troubles