GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dead Navigation Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-17, 10:03 AM
Renrutjw
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dead Navigation Display

Nothing (no boot screen, no back up camera, NOTHING) came up on the screen this morning at start-up. Everything else seems to be working fine. I checked fuse 17 in the engine compartment and it's good. I'm going to do a hard reset when I get home tonight but was wondering if there's another fuse I should be checking? I've read a few other CL threads for this type of issue but didn't find anything (doesn't mean it wasn't there thought )

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (05-17-17)
Old 05-09-17, 08:57 AM
Renrutjw
Rookie

Dealership is stumped too. Gonna keep it overnight to figure it out. I'll be sure to post the results.
Old 05-09-17, 09:21 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Is there a video cable behind the screen that has been damaged or loose? Sounds like everything is working BUT the screen. So either the cable supplying power to the screen is no good, or the screen itself has just died and needs replacement. That's the only thing I can think of. Unless you swap the fuse even though you know it's good just to double check.
Rlopis (05-16-17)
Old 05-12-17, 07:44 AM
Renrutjw
Rookie

Just a quick update. The navi screen is dead: $2800 for the part alone (I'm under warranty) and who knows how much labor will be. Of course dealerships don't keep the part in stock so it's been 4 days now. Good news is this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, guess I just got "lucky"
Rlopis (05-16-17)
Old 05-15-17, 05:04 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Renrutjw
Just a quick update. The navi screen is dead: $2800 for the part alone (I'm under warranty) and who knows how much labor will be. Of course dealerships don't keep the part in stock so it's been 4 days now. Good news is this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem, guess I just got "lucky"
That's good to know..**** happens it's electronics
Old 05-15-17, 08:30 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

$2800, wow.
Old 05-15-17, 10:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

How does a navi screen just die? That is why I hate how car companies tie in functions for the car into the navi screen which forces you to pay $2800+ if it breaks if you are out of warranty instead of just buying a nice Garmin for $300 and sticking it over the blank screen. Luckily you are still in warranty. If I was out of warranty I would try to find a electronics repair shop to repair it for a few hundred dollars.
Old 05-15-17, 11:10 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
How does a navi screen just die? That is why I hate how car companies tie in functions for the car into the navi screen which forces you to pay $2800+ if it breaks if you are out of warranty instead of just buying a nice Garmin for $300 and sticking it over the blank screen. Luckily you are still in warranty. If I was out of warranty I would try to find a electronics repair shop to repair it for a few hundred dollars.
$2800 only for the actual display screen. The whole unit below radio/navigation/hdd/alarm/antenna/climate control will cost you over a bit over $8000. :-D
Old 05-16-17, 04:46 AM
Rlopis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased RX350 last week. I have never bought additional warranty....but, I did this with this car. Reason? Because of the electronics. So glad I bought more warranty. 100,000 miles car manufacture warranty. Sorry you have to replace this part. Electronics are expensive. But, we love our toys.
Old 05-17-17, 01:18 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

So i'm getting this same issue with the display not coming on but i hear music and navigation. This only happens when the sun has been shining on the car directly for a few hours and does not happen any other time and never happened over the winter. thoughts?
Old 05-17-17, 05:18 PM
TheWizard
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^ Time to take it to the Dealer unfortunately...
Old 05-18-17, 09:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
$2800 only for the actual display screen. The whole unit below radio/navigation/hdd/alarm/antenna/climate control will cost you over a bit over $8000. :-D
Most people would just end up getting rid of the car if they are going to charge such a ridiculous amount to fix it. $8000 is more then twice what I paid for a new engine and transmission combined when I had to get them replaced in my Eclipse. Who would even pay that for a stupid screen/control unit? I doubt anyone would be buying another Lexus if it happened to their Lexus and they were charged that to fix it
Old 05-20-17, 10:49 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
$8K is brand new part off dealer... If you want to replace one, way cheaper to get used from junk yard or Craigslist...

I think screen is about $400 and slightly less for stereo unit...
Old 05-23-17, 05:17 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Renrutjw
Nothing (no boot screen, no back up camera, NOTHING) came up on the screen this morning at start-up. Everything else seems to be working fine. I checked fuse 17 in the engine compartment and it's good. I'm going to do a hard reset when I get home tonight but was wondering if there's another fuse I should be checking? I've read a few other CL threads for this type of issue but didn't find anything (doesn't mean it wasn't there thought )

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and want to offer some assistance. We may be able to help with this. Feel free to inbox us to discuss!

Thanks,
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 05-23-17, 10:12 AM
Renrutjw
Rookie

Okay, final update. The part was $2,900 and I'm guessing 2-3 hours of labor ( labor hours not reported on warranty work). My service rep told me getting to that screen is an absolute PITA and putting it back together is just as bad. Let's all hope this was a fluke and won't happen to anybody else, especially those out of warranty.

Quick Reply: Dead Navigation Display