GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Polished takeda intake review!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-17, 05:49 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MythicOne
This may be a dumb question, but, will this mod adversely affect the new vehicle Warrantee in anyway?
From aFe website:
  • In-house Dyno testing resulted in max gains of 13 HP and 11 lbs. x ft. of torque.
+13HP....sounds too good to be true?
Doubt I gained anything but it feels more responsive with a little bit more noise over stock... maybe 3HP gain?
Old 01-02-18, 08:45 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MythicOne
I was reading through this thread now and was wondering the same.
@MythicOne

This is the one I got from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...210757&cj=true
Old 01-29-18, 01:18 PM
andygill27
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I installed my AFE intake (I went with the wrinkle black and Pro5R filter) and holy crap, is it loud! Like, a muffled raspy-horn sound at WOT. I notice it most when the car is still getting warm (takes a while in NJ winter), but with a free Sound Meter app and phone on my dashboard, i measured 83db! According to industrialnoisecontrol.com, that's a diesel freight train at 45mph from 100ft.
Just wondering if everyone else "enjoys" this noise or am I the only one finding it annoying?
Old 01-29-18, 02:30 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by andygill27
Just wondering if everyone else "enjoys" this noise or am I the only one finding it annoying?
I've had it on a GS, RC, and IS so I definitely enjoy it.

And like you said, it's only at high RPM.
Old 01-30-18, 08:17 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you had any increased mpg’s? This intake sounds niceeeeee!
Old 01-30-18, 11:46 AM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I installed my AFE intake (I went with the wrinkle black and Pro5R filter) and holy crap, is it loud! Like, a muffled raspy-horn sound at WOT. I notice it most when the car is still getting warm (takes a while in NJ winter), but with a free Sound Meter app and phone on my dashboard, i measured 83db! According to industrialnoisecontrol.com, that's a diesel freight train at 45mph from 100ft.
LMFAO!! your post made me laugh(but then again, i laugh at everything) 85db is pretty darn loud! Car and bike people like things loud though.....i.e..Harleys, Mustangs, exhausts, intakes..etc. I'm sure 95% of the people here that purchased the intake loves the loud noise. I used to yearn for that blow off valve noise. When i finally got it, i thought it was pretty annoying after driving with it on for 10 minutes in cali traffic. It was constant..pshhhh, phsssssh, phssssssh, psshhhhh, pshshshshshshhs....non stop for like 2 hrs.
The following users liked this post:
psinsyd (01-30-18)
Old 01-30-18, 10:07 PM
Klassy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Intake looks good!
Old 02-02-18, 01:03 PM
andygill27
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: So I spoke with tech support about the noise level coming from under my hood. He said "oh, try the dry filter with the pre-filter on it. That should help a lot with the sound." They are sending them to me to try. Before I reinstall the intake, is there any merit to this? Any one switch from oil to dry and notice a difference?
Old 02-02-18, 01:33 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Update: So I spoke with tech support about the noise level coming from under my hood. He said "oh, try the dry filter with the pre-filter on it. That should help a lot with the sound." They are sending them to me to try. Before I reinstall the intake, is there any merit to this? Any one switch from oil to dry and notice a difference?
I have dry I believe and I love the sound. Sounds stock driving normal but getting past 4K accelerating hard it sounds amazing especially at 7200. I have stock exhaust so it’s nice getting some extra sound when I want.
Old 03-14-18, 06:52 PM
Jumpkix
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the Takeda intake increase the amount of dust, dirt & grime in the engine bay as its no longer an enclosed box filtered from the intake duct flowing from the outside air?
Old 03-15-18, 07:45 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Originally Posted by Jumpkix
Does the Takeda intake increase the amount of dust, dirt & grime in the engine bay as its no longer an enclosed box filtered from the intake duct flowing from the outside air?
Since installing the intake, I haven't noticed any considerable increase in dust, dirt or grime in the engine bay.
Jumpkix (03-21-18)
Old 04-07-18, 09:41 PM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My opinion

Here is my two cents for what its worth on the CAI. I had an aFe CAI on my last car and really liked it - they make a quality product.

1. Sorry but you won't see the advertised HP/Torque gains without some sort of tune. These cars PCM's are tuned/optimized for OEM air intake. Same goes with headers, cat backs etc...you need the tune to account for it. This point is usually a hotly debated item so like I said its my opinion and I don't have any dyno results to back it up.
2. They do change up the sound and look cool as heck in your engine bay (main reason why I did it)
3. Warranty issues - I think it depends on the manufacturer. MOPAR didn't really care about bolt on mods that didn't affect the engine/drive trains. CAI, cat backs were no big deal but slapping a super charger on would void it quick. Not sure about Lexus but I have a feeling they wouldn't be as lenient for some reason.
4. Also I seen on the aFe site these are not CARB cert so if your in Cali be careful about your smog check (swap back to OEM prior to check) as they will down check you. If they CARB cert these I will consider getting one on my F Sport.
5. I didn't notice any extra dirt/cleanliness issues from the CAI.
5. I had a dry filter and liked it, easier to maintain and no difference performance wise between the two, I think the main difference was if you were operating in really dirty areas the oiled helped filter more particulars.
TrevorTran (05-16-18)
Old 05-11-18, 10:52 AM
dim13
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the Takeda dry filter intake in my 2015 rc 350. The crank case hose is not staying put, however, even after installing screw on clamps.

I found a heater hose that I could retrofit to replace the crank case hose with. Would this be okay to use? I have received mixed information on this topic, as some people are saying the rubber on the heater hose could break down.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-18, 12:37 PM
TrevorTran
Driver

Originally Posted by dim13
I just installed the Takeda dry filter intake in my 2015 rc 350. The crank case hose is not staying put, however, even after installing screw on clamps.

I found a heater hose that I could retrofit to replace the crank case hose with. Would this be okay to use? I have received mixed information on this topic, as some people are saying the rubber on the heater hose could break down.

Thanks!
@dim13
You said you tried installing a hose clamp on the crank case hose similar to this?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...210757&cj=true

Have you made sure that it is tight to the point where it won't shift? For retrofitting a heater hose in place of the provided hose, I'd say that the thermal temperature at that part of the intake wouldn't pose an issue, and would work if you're absolutely positive the clamp doesn't stay put.
Old 05-18-21, 09:18 AM
sigepbam
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cel

Installed the Takeda over the weekend. Took about 1.5 hours, relatively straight forward, using some tips outlined above.

Put about 100 miles in, no issues. Then CEL. Both MAF sensor and crank case hose (I think) are secured. I do see an “extra” hose that was apparently on the OE that I have no idea where it’s supposed to go...? Any ideas?

Shout out to Josh at Meraki for the great price and service!

Meraki Autoworks (05-18-21)

Quick Reply: Polished takeda intake review!