GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Installed Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 03:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

For the most part radar detectors are useless. Nowadays most city police and state highway patrol cars use speed radar the officer can turn on in an instant when they are ready to clock a vehicle's speed. A radar detector won’t have enough time to detect that radar.
The following users liked this post:
Pacman9270 (01-11-18)
Old 01-11-18, 04:01 PM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
For the most part radar detectors are useless. Nowadays most city police and state highway patrol cars use speed radar the officer can turn on in an instant when they are ready to clock a vehicle's speed. A radar detector won’t have enough time to detect that radar.
Well that sucks. I'm not trying to go 150mph. Maybe 100mph, within reason, on long road trips that I take.
Old 01-11-18, 04:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacman9270
Well that sucks. I'm not trying to go 150mph. Maybe 100mph, within reason, on long road trips that I take.
It wouldn't take long before you had spent your money on a radar detector and also on a speeding ticket...

Patrol cars can have radars on the front and rear of their vehicles they can turn on whenever they are ready so-as not to allow radar detectors to detect them. Their equipment is so state-of-the-art nowadays they can be traveling with you, against you, parallel to you, or even perpendicular to you, all while they are traveling at speed and get an accurate reading on your vehicle's speed. A radar detector doesn't stand a chance against city police and state highway patrol unless maybe you come across a little town of 4,000 or less population that uses old secondhand, dated equipment.

Save your money or buy something else more useful.
Pacman9270 (01-11-18)
Old 01-12-18, 03:40 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
It wouldn't take long before you had spent your money on a radar detector and also on a speeding ticket...

Patrol cars can have radars on the front and rear of their vehicles they can turn on whenever they are ready so-as not to allow radar detectors to detect them. Their equipment is so state-of-the-art nowadays they can be traveling with you, against you, parallel to you, or even perpendicular to you, all while they are traveling at speed and get an accurate reading on your vehicle's speed. A radar detector doesn't stand a chance against city police and state highway patrol unless maybe you come across a little town of 4,000 or less population that uses old secondhand, dated equipment.
Not sure if serious, IMHO a radar detector isn't bad as part of an overall strategy... you make it sound like they're invincible or something, and that's hardly the case. What you say might apply if the officer is only sampling your car, or you're the only car around on the road, etc, I get it- and that's obviously a hole; but in mixed traffic, that unit is going to be sampling other people, and a good detector can often pick up K or KA signals from almost a mile a way or more... plenty of time to
warn you. Instant on does not mean they're not detectable. IMHO a radar detector is a good tool to have in concert with things like Waze, and generalized intelligence about a route one is traveling, etc. It's just one prong of a multi-tiered strategy at beating the system. A radar detector is not a panacea or a cure all.

Also, I think it depends on the region of the country, but up here in the northeast, "towns with less than 4000 people" tend to be the most virulent and aggressive about speed enforcement. I call them revenue rhetoric towns. The police in the real cities have actual crime to deal with and tend to have less time to monkey around with running speed traps.

-Mike
Measured (12-09-20)
Old 01-12-18, 04:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

As someone who makes weekly trips between Albany, Buffalo, and New York, my Valentine V1 has helped tremendously. I honestly don't think a person who has one could say they aren't useful, especially on the highway. While there is instant on and Laser, a vast majority of NYS troopers still use radar. Tht being said, I have a laser Jammer as well. Having these things doesn't guarantee anything, but they are tools you use to help.
Old 01-15-18, 06:35 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

^ This. I travel between watertown and Rochester and it is a life saver on NYS 81
Old 01-15-18, 12:25 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bjnzzzle
Did you use the MirrorTap? I am planning to install my redline too but need to find some tip how to remove the overhead console.
Maybe you could do a write up on your install, filled with colorful photos?
Old 01-16-18, 12:03 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
As someone who makes weekly trips between Albany, Buffalo, and New York, my Valentine V1 has helped tremendously. I honestly don't think a person who has one could say they aren't useful, especially on the highway. While there is instant on and Laser, a vast majority of NYS troopers still use radar. Tht being said, I have a laser Jammer as well. Having these things doesn't guarantee anything, but they are tools you use to help.

02SDGS,
Are you a member on rdforum as well? I was going to get a V1 but decided to go with the Uniden R3 due to all the great reviews and the crazy distance it can pick up radar signals. Long distance detection helps with those instant on situations when they are checking speed of people miles up ahead of you.