GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What are people paying for Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 07:15 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
OP - You have no comprehensive or collision insurance on your vehicle. Your liability coverage is pathetic and your uninsured motorist coverage is beyond deplorable. Your insurance coverage is tragic...and you are a driving time-bomb just asking for huge trouble, which is obviously beyond your ability to understand.
Totally agree with this!
Old 05-14-17, 09:05 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bclexus
OP - You have no comprehensive or collision insurance on your vehicle. Your liability coverage is pathetic and your uninsured motorist coverage is beyond deplorable. Your insurance coverage is tragic...and you are a driving time-bomb just asking for huge trouble, which is obviously beyond your ability to understand the seriousness of the matter.

"You have no comprehensive or collision insurance on your vehicle."
Yes I know that and I'm 100% fine with that. I'll pay out of pocket. Also Geico also gave me accident forgiveness for being a good driver.

"Your liability coverage is pathetic"
It's the Virginia state minimum, works for me.

"uninsured motorist coverage is beyond deplorable"
Again I know and I don't care about what happens to my car.

I'm an excellent driver and have a perfect driving record for 11 years. I'm not paranoid like most people about insurance.

I also own my car outright, paid cash for it.

Chill Dude.

Last edited by peasodos; 05-14-17 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 10:37 PM
RC350Drvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
liability is fixing someone else's car and medical, which 25/50/25 is not much at all... and he will get sued when it passes that limit.

Comprehensive and collision is covering your own car, which he doesn't have. So he will be paying out of pocket to fix or take a complete loss if it's totaled.
Originally Posted by e60bmw
Full coverage everything maxed out you can bodily injury, uninsured motorist, property damage etc. Only thing I lowered was rental and aftermarket parts. I had mine go up a while back with Progressive. I looked around and actually ended up on Geico, it was cheaper than any other thing I really looked up. Which suprised me considering the amount of cost they spent on advertising, I figure it would have an affect in the rates.

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury
$300,001 per person/$500,001 per occurrence

Bodily Injury Liability
$300,001 per person/$500,001 per occurrence
From what I understand, if you carry "full coverage", you a judge will generally not award more money in a lawsuit than your policy limits unless there are other circumstances such as alcohol or intent to do damage being involved.

If you have no other assets, you're probably fine, as you have nothing to lose.

Personally, I have full coverage, PLUS an umbrella liability policy.

Last edited by RC350Drvr; 05-14-17 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 06:18 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RC350Drvr
From what I understand, if you carry "full coverage", you a judge will generally not award more money in a lawsuit than your policy limits unless there are other circumstances such as alcohol or intent to do damage being involved.

If you have no other assets, you're probably fine, as you have nothing to lose.

Personally, I have full coverage, PLUS an umbrella liability policy.
IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER ASSETS is the key. Then the insurance company and lawyers have no interest in pursuing damage or payout beyond your coverage. A judge will not even see the case. Heck, even if you flat out have zero insurance and cause 1 million in damages, no one can really do anything IF your bank account is empty, no physical assets and living on an hourly wage. But that won't stop them put a restitution on your wages for the rest of your life.

Problem starts when the at fault does have asssets and carry limited insurance that maxed out. First thing will be looked at is your bank account, properties owned, retirements, investments... at the end of the day, the at fault caused these damages to the other driver or insurance company (with limited underinsured coverage), therefore the at fault will be sued for the total amount of money lost
Old 05-15-17, 06:28 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm 36 also in the DMV and pay $190/month with a horrible driving record (too many speeding tickets).
Old 05-15-17, 06:47 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

42, clean record and I pay about $850 every six months through State Farm. 100k/300K coverage with $500 deductible.

OP's coverage isn't enough to cover anything besides a minor fender bender. One accident and he is screwed. Rolling the dice!
Old 05-15-17, 09:38 AM
RC350Drvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER ASSETS is the key. Then the insurance company and lawyers have no interest in pursuing damage or payout beyond your coverage. A judge will not even see the case. Heck, even if you flat out have zero insurance and cause 1 million in damages, no one can really do anything IF your bank account is empty, no physical assets and living on an hourly wage. But that won't stop them put a restitution on your wages for the rest of your life.

Problem starts when the at fault does have asssets and carry limited insurance that maxed out. First thing will be looked at is your bank account, properties owned, retirements, investments... at the end of the day, the at fault caused these damages to the other driver or insurance company (with limited underinsured coverage), therefore the at fault will be sued for the total amount of money lost
Years ago, my mother was in a minor accident with an uninsured driver. Other driver was at fault. Her insurance took care of everything for her and said they would go after the other guy. Actually made it much easier to deal with the whole thing than dealing with a second insurance co.
Old 05-15-17, 09:44 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
42, clean record and I pay about $850 every six months through State Farm. 100k/300K coverage with $500 deductible.

OP's coverage isn't enough to cover anything besides a minor fender bender. One accident and he is screwed. Rolling the dice!
That sounds pretty high for your age, clean driving record, and $500 deductible. Was that the best deal you could find or is Illinois high when it comes to auto insurance?
Old 05-15-17, 09:47 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That sounds pretty high for your age, clean driving record, and $500 deductible. Was that the best deal you could find or is Illinois high when it comes to auto insurance?
I live in Chicago the land of crime and shootings so this is on the "low" end. I checked All State and they want even more money.
Old 05-15-17, 10:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
I live in Chicago the land of crime and shootings so this is on the "low" end. I checked All State and they want even more money.
Yeah, I suspected you might be in Chicago, everything is unfortunately more expensive in big cities.
Old 05-15-17, 01:27 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RC350Drvr
Years ago, my mother was in a minor accident with an uninsured driver. Other driver was at fault. Her insurance took care of everything for her and said they would go after the other guy. Actually made it much easier to deal with the whole thing than dealing with a second insurance co.
your mother must had uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Or else they will treat it as a collision incident and have her pay her collision deductible before paying for the damage.

And yes insurance companies want their money back by suing
Old 05-15-17, 01:46 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I can't believe you're driving around with basic liability on a car worth this much. If you can afford the car, you should be able to properly ensure it too.

Last edited by RXGS; 05-15-17 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 03:19 PM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got a wife and two young children to provide for and protect, so I have significant coverage as well as an umbrella policy. While I might believe I'm a safe and low risk driver (clean record, tons of defensive driving classes through my employer), it's not the risk of an accident rather the potential consequence, regardless of who is at fault, that I choose to spend money protecting me and my family from.

It is the OP's choice to carry just the minimum, that's why it's the minimum. I hope his choice reflects his skills and not just his record.

To the OP's question, I pay about $1500/yr for my 2013 GS350, my wife's 2013 Sienna, and my beater 1998 4Runner.
Old 05-15-17, 03:48 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

$150 a month with comprehensive and collision with 500 deductible. 50/100/50 and 50/100 uninsured with additional PIP and basic loss. i already had to use the comprehensive claim for hitting a deer so you can guarantee i'm keeping that coverage for life.
Old 05-18-17, 11:19 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I think the only thing cheaper in Canada is car insurance....some high rates posted in this tread.

$695 per year full coverage, $2,000,000 liability, $2,000,000 personal injury, $300 deductible (both) Full new car replacement for 5 years, free windshield replacement.

Maybe the insurance companies know we have no money left after income taxes!

Quick Reply: What are people paying for Insurance?