GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-17, 08:06 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Amazon
Took my 14 GS for service and noisy sunroof during highway speed.The cause was a poor seal and they used part # 63251-30100.You should be under factory warranty so the charge should be free also.
Right, I guess I've read enough stories of folks with torn or greased up headliners during sunroof maintenance that it makes me cautious.

Thanks for the feedback!
The following users liked this post:
samsonn25 (04-03-19)
Old 07-06-17, 05:20 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

As an update, I took my car to the dealer and they said my factory warranty expired in June last month and that the Certified Lexus warranty does not cover this (even after he checked with his manager who used to the master tech there). Not sure if I am getting the run around here but I did mention several times that it could be a defective seal for the sunroof since we noticed a bigger gap where the noise was coming from. The service adviser responded with something like he's never seen many defective sunroof seals before other than ones that was dry rotted out. I also had him look up the sunroof seal part number (63251-30100) and he mentioned its the same one used on the 2013, 2014 and 2015 and that there were not revisions to that part (in case it was a thicker seal) since the last digit would have rev'd up by 1,2 or 3 depending on the number of revisions made. I also mentioned that in the wind noise started becoming more and more noticeable ever since they adjusted my sunroof last year because of the rattling (which got fixed after the adjustment) so there is some history there. My service adviser finally recommended that I file a claim with Lexus corporate to see if they can do something about this which I plan to do now. For reference, the cost to replace the seal itself from the dealer is $250 (parts and labor included) which isn't astronomical, but still makes me think if its even worth it to spend or just ignore the wind noise (if all other options fail).
Old 07-06-17, 09:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by viperr
As an update, I took my car to the dealer and they said my factory warranty expired in June last month and that the Certified Lexus warranty does not cover this (even after he checked with his manager who used to the master tech there). Not sure if I am getting the run around here but I did mention several times that it could be a defective seal for the sunroof since we noticed a bigger gap where the noise was coming from. The service adviser responded with something like he's never seen many defective sunroof seals before other than ones that was dry rotted out. I also had him look up the sunroof seal part number (63251-30100) and he mentioned its the same one used on the 2013, 2014 and 2015 and that there were not revisions to that part (in case it was a thicker seal) since the last digit would have rev'd up by 1,2 or 3 depending on the number of revisions made. I also mentioned that in the wind noise started becoming more and more noticeable ever since they adjusted my sunroof last year because of the rattling (which got fixed after the adjustment) so there is some history there. My service adviser finally recommended that I file a claim with Lexus corporate to see if they can do something about this which I plan to do now. For reference, the cost to replace the seal itself from the dealer is $250 (parts and labor included) which isn't astronomical, but still makes me think if its even worth it to spend or just ignore the wind noise (if all other options fail).

I took the sunroof glass out and replaced the seal myself, very easy. The plastic covers on both sides of the sunroof just pull on it and it comes off. Then there are just 4 torex bolts, take the bolts out and you can lift the sunroof glass out. Replacing the seal with the glass out is easy. Then just put the sunroof glass back in and adjust the glass/torex bolts on all four corners until the glass sits flush to the roof. Took me about 40 minutes being extra careful.

There is a difference between the seals, the updated one is thicker on the back side of the glass closer to the rear.

All my wind noise related to the sunroof was gone after I replaced the seal.
The following 4 users liked this post by peasodos:
fastcorner (09-22-23), markg65 (04-07-19), Nytron (06-19-21), onexcite (07-07-17)
Old 07-07-17, 06:37 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Viperr, I have a CPO 2013 with wind noise in the sunroom, past 50K factory warranty. My dealer inspected it, adjusted it and water teased it, said it was OK, but I still hear the wind noise and clunking over rough roads. I was glad they looked at it, but the same symptoms are there. I may just replace the sel myself. Good luck with your claim with Lexus, interesting to see how/if they step up.
Old 07-07-17, 06:44 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by peasodos
I took the sunroof glass out and replaced the seal myself, very easy. The plastic covers on both sides of the sunroof just pull on it and it comes off. Then there are just 4 torex bolts, take the bolts out and you can lift the sunroof glass out. Replacing the seal with the glass out is easy. Then just put the sunroof glass back in and adjust the glass/torex bolts on all four corners until the glass sits flush to the roof. Took me about 40 minutes being extra careful.

There is a difference between the seals, the updated one is thicker on the back side of the glass closer to the rear.

Was the part number you replaced your with (with the thicker rear seal). Thus part number? 63251-30100? Odd the dealer told Viperr there were no revisions to the part. Is that part correct for 2013s-2015s?
Old 07-07-17, 07:37 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Spideyman1
Was the part number you replaced your with (with the thicker rear seal). Thus part number? 63251-30100? Odd the dealer told Viperr there were no revisions to the part. Is that part correct for 2013s-2015s?
Yes, 63251-30100 is the revised weather strip. I got it for $44.40 including shipping from:
https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/

This same weather strip is also used in Toyota/Scion sunroofs.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
Spideyman1 (07-08-17), viperr (07-10-17)
Old 07-07-17, 08:51 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I had the exact same issue, 2013 GS350, purchased L certified at 39k miles. The local Lexus dealer replaced the moonroof seal at around 51k miles under warranty. Not sure why others with Lcertified vehicles (2013's should apply as they are 2 years and unlimited miles extended warranty) are being denied the replacement.
Old 07-07-17, 09:13 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank you everyone for the feedback as now I see there a few more answers to our problems. I didn't realize the seal was so cheap as the Lexus dealer was already quoted me 60 bucks for the part itself. Might be worth doing myself depending on how the other options pan out.

itsmike177, may I ask what Lexus dealership replaced yours under warranty? My CPO Lexus warranty expires this year in early Sept. I have been going to the one in Mission Viejo in socal. Usually they're pretty good for service except just this one time
Old 07-08-17, 04:44 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by itsmike177
I had the exact same issue, 2013 GS350, purchased L certified at 39k miles. The local Lexus dealer replaced the moonroof seal at around 51k miles under warranty. Not sure why others with Lcertified vehicles (2013's should apply as they are 2 years and unlimited miles extended warranty) are being denied the replacement.
I think my dealer would have replaced mine under the CPO warranty if it leaked, but they tested it and it didn't leak. Next time I go in for the 65K mile tire rotation service I will ask the service advisor to take a ride with me and let him/her hear the wind noise. It is not a major issue, just annoying for a lux vehicle.
Old 07-08-17, 06:52 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

This is excellent news. I've had excessive wind noise and rattling in mine and my dealership wanted $700 just to remove the headliner and diagnose. Clearly I said no.
Old 07-10-17, 06:52 AM
SuperXer0
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I was going nuts when I thought there was excessive wind noise coming from my sunroof. Mine only started after the dealer replaced the whole sunroof due to a rattling noise. I guess I'll bring up the wind noise when i take my car in for scheduled maintenance.
Old 07-10-17, 06:57 AM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't have a copy handy, but I seem to recall seals being on the excluded list from the L/certified warranty.

I got my trunk seal and sunroof seal both replaced under factory warranty. The trunk seal was disintegrating in some parts, and the sunroof seal had wind noise.
Old 07-10-17, 07:15 PM
junglechkn
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

My 2013 had the wind noise and started leaking couple weeks ago during a thunderstorm. I took it into the dealership for them to check it out, they told me it was going to cost me $500. I went to go pick up my car, turns out they ended up replacing the weather stripping because of a misunderstanding between the service dept and the mechanic. So no more leak or wind noise at no cost, thanks Sterling McCall Lexus!
Old 07-11-17, 08:28 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I went to Lexus of Riverside.
They replaced the Moonroof Seal, part number 63251-30100.

Originally Posted by viperr
Thank you everyone for the feedback as now I see there a few more answers to our problems. I didn't realize the seal was so cheap as the Lexus dealer was already quoted me 60 bucks for the part itself. Might be worth doing myself depending on how the other options pan out.

itsmike177, may I ask what Lexus dealership replaced yours under warranty? My CPO Lexus warranty expires this year in early Sept. I have been going to the one in Mission Viejo in socal. Usually they're pretty good for service except just this one time
Attached Thumbnails Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.-img_6652.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
viperr (07-17-17)
Old 07-11-17, 11:03 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos

When you say the plastic covers, do you mean those accordion-like pieces? I have lots of wind noise and I'm not willing to pay the dealer $500+ to fix it (out of warranty), but I would love to fix it myself for $45 if it's as easy as you say and I don't run the risk of really messing anything up.

Quick Reply: Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.