GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 01:05 PM
NYLiqPlat
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the write up. I'm probably going to do this myself and cancel my appointment w/ the dealer (even though I'm still under factory warranty) as I don't trust anyone with my car.
Old 07-18-17, 01:30 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mryeh17
My pleasure to give back to this great community!

My biggest apprehension approaching this was how easily I could get the new seal on the glass. As mentioned, it's a bit tough to get seated, if I had to do it again I might try soaking the seal in soapy water first and see if that makes it easier.
Round of drinks for this guy! I’m fairly certain replacing the seal would get rid of my wind noise as well as rattling due to the sunroof shimmying side to side. Awesome write up!
Old 07-18-17, 02:30 PM
GsGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had our seal replaced on the '14 due to wind noise. Ours is a Certified car, so it was covered under the warranty.
Old 07-18-17, 04:29 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like some of us can fix the noise by just adjusting the window height? Any pictures of how that is accomplished?
Old 07-26-17, 12:09 PM
XBimR
Driver

Originally Posted by tejanp
There is a TSB out on it. My friend who is a lexus tech told me to get it repaired as soon as i got the car because it will only get worse and is expensive to repair out of warranty. So i made up a bull**** excuse they performed the following TSB.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/...dPdf?id=175340

I have a 2013 F sport, bought it new. when i first bought the car it had this popping noise, particularly when I pulled into the driveway. after a month or two, it went away and I didn't think about it.

about six months ago, right after my warranty expired, I started to hear a rattle and figured out it was the sunroof. when the sunroof was tilted it went away. it presented as a rattle going over bumps. I then figured out it was the source of some minor wind noise as well - never really bothered me as the car is quiet, except when I was on the phone and some people noticed it (since the microphone is right next to sunroof).

When I took it in for service at the dealership I noted this, and the tech came back saying the rattle was indeed from the sunroof assembly and that they recommended replacing it along with the seal.

The cost was a whopping $2800! Fortunately the advisor declined it for me and explained that I should call Lexus corp and complain. Within a week they had gotten back to me, saying they would 100% cover parts and I would be responsible for labor.

The dealership wants to charge me $900 for that. Still way too much in my opinion. My concern is not so much the cost, which I will ask for a reduction on once I figure out how many hours are involved.

My question for you all is those who had this work done, did it fix the problem? Is it fixed over the long term? The advisor noted to me that they are still seeing this on newer GS, and that it's just a result of the "flex of the chassis over time".

If this is just going to happen again in a couple years I will likely pass - it's slightly annoying to me but no one else in the car seems to ever notice it.
Old 07-26-17, 05:03 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by XBimR
I have a 2013 F sport, bought it new. when i first bought the car it had this popping noise, particularly when I pulled into the driveway. after a month or two, it went away and I didn't think about it.

about six months ago, right after my warranty expired, I started to hear a rattle and figured out it was the sunroof. when the sunroof was tilted it went away. it presented as a rattle going over bumps. I then figured out it was the source of some minor wind noise as well - never really bothered me as the car is quiet, except when I was on the phone and some people noticed it (since the microphone is right next to sunroof).

When I took it in for service at the dealership I noted this, and the tech came back saying the rattle was indeed from the sunroof assembly and that they recommended replacing it along with the seal.

The cost was a whopping $2800! Fortunately the advisor declined it for me and explained that I should call Lexus corp and complain. Within a week they had gotten back to me, saying they would 100% cover parts and I would be responsible for labor.

The dealership wants to charge me $900 for that. Still way too much in my opinion. My concern is not so much the cost, which I will ask for a reduction on once I figure out how many hours are involved.

My question for you all is those who had this work done, did it fix the problem? Is it fixed over the long term? The advisor noted to me that they are still seeing this on newer GS, and that it's just a result of the "flex of the chassis over time".

If this is just going to happen again in a couple years I will likely pass - it's slightly annoying to me but no one else in the car seems to ever notice it.
Even if it does come back 3-5 years from now, paying $45 and DIYing it is still a better proposition than paying the dealer $900 IMO.
Old 07-26-17, 08:40 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Even if it does come back 3-5 years from now, paying $45 and DIYing it is still a better proposition than paying the dealer $900 IMO.
I agree. In my case, the dealer was going to charge me $200 for labor and around $60 for the seal itself. No matter what, $45 to DIY is worth it in value alone then to waste time driving back and forth along with paying all that for labor plus the slightly inflated price from the dealer. I got my seal delivered this week and will be installing this weekend.
Old 07-30-17, 11:19 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Just installed it this morning. Took about 45 min. total of being really careful. The new rubber did take a bit of massaging to get it on perfectly snug (I guess thats what she said too lol ). I did the "fluffing" as I went along. I stood the glass up on a towel to put it on and then rotated it to do the other side. One thing to note is that the rubber molding has 4 green dot marks as they reference the corners of the the glass. During the adjustment of the glass, I tightened the screws just a tad so at least when I raised the glass underneath to the desired height, it would stay in place enough so I can go back under and screw it in a bit more secure. As some have noted, its like night and day. I do not notice any wind noise at all when the shade is open or closed. Knowing how easy this is do replace I would do it again in a heart beat in 5 years or so if the problem were to return and the rubber starts to degrade (if any). Thanks again to mryeh17 for all the tips!

The following 2 users liked this post by viperr:
AJLex19 (07-30-17), LatinLS430 (07-30-17)
Old 08-02-17, 09:03 PM
RLtoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had sunroof noise and "rattles" since I bought the car (used). I've taken it to the.. dealer at least 3 times in the last 3 years to ask them to fix the issues under warranty. They never disputed the issues and did some sort of "tightening" or "adjusting" but the issues always returned. Last week I picked up my car from the dealer who finally engaged Lexus Corporate to request a full replacement of the entire sunroof cartridge under my Lexus Extended Warranty. They approved it and now.....quiet as a library with no wind noise and no more rattles and rumbles. Parts $2000 labor $900....paid less than that for the warranty. Glad I made the investment. Issues with noise etc. are real.
Old 08-02-17, 09:59 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RLtoGS350
I've had sunroof noise and "rattles" since I bought the car (used). I've taken it to the.. dealer at least 3 times in the last 3 years to ask them to fix the issues under warranty. They never disputed the issues and did some sort of "tightening" or "adjusting" but the issues always returned. Last week I picked up my car from the dealer who finally engaged Lexus Corporate to request a full replacement of the entire sunroof cartridge under my Lexus Extended Warranty. They approved it and now.....quiet as a library with no wind noise and no more rattles and rumbles. Parts $2000 labor $900....paid less than that for the warranty. Glad I made the investment. Issues with noise etc. are real.
Good thing everything worked out especially with the extended warranty! Replacing the entire sunroof cartridge may have been a little bit of overkill "Tightening and adjusting" just involves unscrewing the 4 screws that hold the glass in place, re-positioning it, and securing the screws back in again since there is some play in the glass when the screws aren't tight. So far it seems that the primary culprit is the rubber seal around the glass.
Old 08-18-17, 08:51 AM
jojoforest
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, first time poster here and need some assistance to the related issue.

I bought a used 2013 GS 350 as a CPO at Lexus and was under the impression that the CPO warranty was just an extended warranty for another 3yr/100k miles. My warrant doesn't expire until next year and I currently have 53k miles on it. After reading this thread, I noticed that I do have excessive wind noise from my moonroof when traveling above 50mph and the sunshade is open (no rattling sound that I'm aware of). I brought my car into the dealership to have it serviced and they informed me that this type of issue is not covered under the CPO warranty. He explained this would only have been covered under the original factory warranty of 4yr/50k miles. They ended up not checking or servicing it so I left.

Is this correct that it's not covered under my CPO warranty and is there anything I can do?
Old 08-18-17, 09:40 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,151 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by jojoforest
Hi all, first time poster here and need some assistance to the related issue.

I bought a used 2013 GS 350 as a CPO at Lexus and was under the impression that the CPO warranty was just an extended warranty for another 3yr/100k miles. My warrant doesn't expire until next year and I currently have 53k miles on it. After reading this thread, I noticed that I do have excessive wind noise from my moonroof when traveling above 50mph and the sunshade is open (no rattling sound that I'm aware of). I brought my car into the dealership to have it serviced and they informed me that this type of issue is not covered under the CPO warranty. He explained this would only have been covered under the original factory warranty of 4yr/50k miles. They ended up not checking or servicing it so I left.

Is this correct that it's not covered under my CPO warranty and is there anything I can do?
Welcome to the forum...unfortunately, I believe that the dealer is correct. The nature of the problem surrounds a bad/worn seal around the sunroof glass. When you tilt your sunroof, you can see that rubber that surrounds the glass...in my case, the rubber seems very thin and actually looks weathered/worn.

The CPO warranty Lexus provides does not cover seals/weather stripping and is not exactly an extension of the original warranty. The original warranty is a full bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything (including bulbs, seals, housings, trims etc). In some instances, depending on the dealer, they were willing to address the issue by changing out the seal because they have a longtime relationship with the customer or as a one time good will gesture if there have been other issues and they want the customer to be happy.

Here is a link to the Lexus CPO details where you can see on page 5 indicating items NOT covered it says "weather stripping": https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/w...l_Brochure.pdf

You can always take it to another dealership and hear what they say...sometimes one dealer is a stickler to the details while another may be a little bit more lenient and able to help you out.
The following users liked this post:
jojoforest (08-18-17)
Old 08-18-17, 10:16 AM
jojoforest
Driver School Candidate

Thanks AJLex19!

Darn, I feel like I got duped by the salesman that sold me the car. They told me that the CPO warranty is the exact same warranty you are getting as if you purchased the car brand new, which was the main selling point for me. Huge huge lesson learned. Still love my car.

I'm in contact with the service manager at the dealership that sold me my car. Crossing fingers that they will look into this for me.
Old 08-18-17, 10:55 AM
GsGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jojoforest
Thanks AJLex19!

Darn, I feel like I got duped by the salesman that sold me the car. They told me that the CPO warranty is the exact same warranty you are getting as if you purchased the car brand new, which was the main selling point for me. Huge huge lesson learned. Still love my car.

I'm in contact with the service manager at the dealership that sold me my car. Crossing fingers that they will look into this for me.
JoJo, I would push very hard to get it taken care of at n/c. Push the issue up the ladder until the top dog says no. Chances are they will work with you. The cost to perform the repair is considerably less than bad PR. It amazes me how some want to argue over a relatively low charge because "that's the rule". Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-18-17, 12:00 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just changed the weather stripping out on my sunroof last night and what a world of a difference it made! Thank you to everyone who posted informative guides on here.

Unlike most of those who attempted this on their car, i actually did NOT remove my sunroof to change the seal out. I simply pulled the old one off, aligned the green dot with one of the inner references and started my way around. It took me all of 25 minutes including inspecting it, cleaning the metal areas, and lining everything up. The new rubber did take some massaging in to fit but nothing that you won't be able to figure out yourself. If i have to replace this every few years so be it, i do not mind. Like others have mentioned the green dots align with the 4 corners to help assist you in getting it snug.

I cant believe how quiet it is....

Last edited by k0kong; 08-19-17 at 10:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by k0kong:
AJLex19 (08-18-17), LatinLS430 (08-18-17), viperr (08-18-17), yelloiroc (03-23-19)

Quick Reply: Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.