GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18 | 09:24 AM
KBGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luke27617
Just replaced the sunroof seal. Paid $43 delivered. Replacement took 30 minutes without removing sunroof. Night and day difference.
Same here and replacement was a breeze, night and day difference as well!
Old 06-19-18 | 06:25 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AJLex19
If you read the second part of the TSB from that link, you'll see that Toyota has clarified which cars they'll fix - the TSB indicates that it will be fixed only if you are currently under the factory 4yr/50k miles. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask your Lexus dealer if they'll fix it if you have an extended/platinum warranty.
I had to fight with my dealer because even though my car was in for this problem under warranty twice but was not fixed, the third time I brought it in I was a few hundred miles over. After 3 weeks (and a loaner for me), they "fixed" it. My suspicion is that they just adjusted it. Now, 18 months later, the problem is worse. The dealer wants $80 for the gasket, just ordered it for $45 and will change it for real myself.
Old 06-19-18 | 10:44 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
I had to fight with my dealer because even though my car was in for this problem under warranty twice but was not fixed, the third time I brought it in I was a few hundred miles over. After 3 weeks (and a loaner for me), they "fixed" it. My suspicion is that they just adjusted it. Now, 18 months later, the problem is worse. The dealer wants $80 for the gasket, just ordered it for $45 and will change it for real myself.
Honestly, it such a silly thing for a dealer to quibble over and for them to get it wrong, is worse. More often than not, the dealer can't "hear" or "reproduce" the problem in these types of instances. When I had the AWD whining noise fixed under the powertrain warranty, to my ears the sound was obvious but they couldn't hear anything at all. They only fixed it after I showed them there was an actual TSB I retrieved from this awesome forum.

I'm glad you're taking the sunroof fix into your own hands because for $50 bucks and maybe 45min of your time, you'll get it right and it will work.
Old 06-19-18 | 11:10 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Honestly, it such a silly thing for a dealer to quibble over and for them to get it wrong, is worse. More often than not, the dealer can't "hear" or "reproduce" the problem in these types of instances. When I had the AWD whining noise fixed under the powertrain warranty, to my ears the sound was obvious but they couldn't hear anything at all. They only fixed it after I showed them there was an actual TSB I retrieved from this awesome forum.

I'm glad you're taking the sunroof fix into your own hands because for $50 bucks and maybe 45min of your time, you'll get it right and it will work.
The service writer said that Lexus corporate repeatedly asked about the service history of my vehicle - there is none, other than a few warranty items early on. I do my own repairs, including oil changes and brakes. Apparently, they didn't feel I was owed the fix for the sunroof because I hadn't spent enough on routine maintenance. Very disappointing.
Old 06-19-18 | 11:18 AM
eddie420

The service writer said that Lexus corporate repeatedly asked about the service history of my vehicle - there is none, other than a few warranty items early on. I do my own repairs, including oil changes and brakes. Apparently, they didn't feel I was owed the fix for the sunroof because I hadn't spent enough on routine maintenance. Very disappointing.
Unfortunately, the service manual specifically states that if the car is not serviced at a dealership, to keep a detailed log and receipts or purchases that indicate that work was performed. I keep track of everything just in case this exact thing happens. It's a hassle but worth it down the line... maybe...
Old 06-19-18 | 11:23 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by eddie420
Unfortunately, the service manual specifically states that if the car is not serviced at a dealership, to keep a detailed log and receipts or purchases that indicate that work was performed. I keep track of everything just in case this exact thing happens. It's a hassle but worth it down the line... maybe...
I keep a log of everything I do. The point was that I was being punished for not allowing myself to be cheated by the stealership (like a $125 oil change), or a $50 air filter. I never touched the sunroof during warranty. My dealer, at least (MD/DC area), is used to the typical Lexus owner being willing to shell out big bucks to have them do everything. Not going to happen if I can help it.
Old 06-19-18 | 12:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I keep a log of everything I do. The point was that I was being punished for not allowing myself to be cheated by the stealership (like a $125 oil change), or a $50 air filter. I never touched the sunroof during warranty. My dealer, at least (MD/DC area), is used to the typical Lexus owner being willing to shell out big bucks to have them do everything. Not going to happen if I can help it.
I don't think you're being punished by the dealership. It's actually a two-way street. If the dealership services your vehicle they in-turn will return the favor and take care of certain things at no-charge or as a good will gesture. If you elect to not do business with the dealership I don't think you can blame them for not wanting to take care of certain issues that may be provided to other customers at no-charge. It's your habits that makes their decision. People return favors to others that have done favors for them. It's the same thing with many businesses.
Old 06-19-18 | 12:22 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bclexus
I don't think you're being punished by the dealership. It's actually a two-way street. If the dealership services your vehicle they in-turn will return the favor and take care of certain things at no-charge or as a good will gesture. If you elect to not do business with the dealership I don't think you can blame them for not wanting to take care of certain issues that may be provided to other customers at no-charge. It's your habits that makes their decision. People return favors to others that have done favors for them. It's the same thing with many businesses.
It was clear from the service writer that he thought I was being punished. BTW, I agree with you re: favors. However, when I buy a car and there is an exiting warranty I expect it to be honored. I brought the car in twice for the same problem; it's not a favor to expect it to be fixed under warranty, especially when I wasted days of my time and nothing was done to correct the problem. Any business that wants to stay in business doesn't treat customers that way. I also happen to enjoy doing my own work on almost everything I am able to. I also like to do plumbing and basic electrical and work on my motorcycle. I am willing to pay a reasonable charge to do something I can't, but I won't be ripped off.
Old 06-19-18 | 12:24 PM
nmlexus4gs
Rookie

My car was in Warranty, dealer did it for free when I went for a 25k service.
Old 06-25-18 | 04:08 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Update: As many others have, I purchased the replacement gasket for $46 including shipping online and installed it myself by tilting the glass up for most of it and then completing by tilting down and retracting it slightly. Absolutely no need to mess with the adjustment or remove any screws. I sprayed a bit of silicone on the rubber before installation and used a bone tool (but mostly fingers) to press, smooth, and fluff the gasket. The whole thing slid on with no issues, and it took me less than 10 minutes. Considering that I was a bit nervous to work on the sunroof, this was probably the easiest thing I've ever done on my Lexus. Knock and wind noise, so far, are gone.

Last edited by shrinkwrap; 06-25-18 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-04-19 | 04:11 PM
124c41
Driver School Candidate

thanks for this thread, I was able to do the same thing and fixed the rattling noise, took about an hour total!
Old 01-21-19 | 08:42 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Update - I did the sunroof gasket replacement on 10/8/2017, and it fixed the clunking for about a year. Now it's back and it's annoying. Do I do another seal again, or take it somewhere to have it fixed? I did some more research, and found that this problem may be caused by a separated epoxy point, and am concerned that replacing the gasket is a temporary fix for a larger problem.
Old 01-21-19 | 09:36 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
Update - I did the sunroof gasket replacement on 10/8/2017, and it fixed the clunking for about a year. Now it's back and it's annoying. Do I do another seal again, or take it somewhere to have it fixed? I did some more research, and found that this problem may be caused by a separated epoxy point, and am concerned that replacing the gasket is a temporary fix for a larger problem.
Same. Easy to replace again but frustrating. 🙄
Old 01-22-19 | 11:29 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
Originally Posted by yardie876
Same. Easy to replace again but frustrating. ��
It makes me wonder why some GS 350s experience this problem when others don't. What could be the difference?

My 2013 GS 350 sunroof has never rattled, clunked, popped or made any kind of noise...and still has the original seal that was installed 6 years ago...
Old 01-22-19 | 11:35 AM
dphu626
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
It makes me wonder why some GS 350s experience this problem when others don't. What could be the difference?

My 2013 GS 350 sunroof has never rattled, clunked, popped or made any kind of noise...and still has the original seal that was installed 6 years ago...
Same for me. 2013 has never heard a rattle from the sunroof, my driver side window is another story. My brother's 2015 though, I hear it all the time and he refuses to do anything about it.

Last edited by dphu626; 01-22-19 at 11:36 AM. Reason: a word

Quick Reply: Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.