GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 11:26 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

The rattle sounds like it's coming from the cupholders or from the passenger seatbelt side.. Does that indicate the sunroof seal issue?
Old 07-25-23, 12:00 PM
EAST
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Cupholder area might be the glovebox. Does it do it with the glovebox open?
Old 07-31-23, 04:29 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, it sounds like from passenger door area, but its actually from top sunroof glass pounding up and down.
Old 01-11-24, 07:30 AM
Batjoker
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mryeh17
Success, the wind noise is gone! Here is my sorry first attempt at a DIY:

Purchased the part 63251-30100 from https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/, $50 with expedited shipping.
Turned on power to the vehicle and raised the sunroof, then shut power down.
Pulled out the rubber accordions and unscrewed the T-25 screws. Couple notes: they were hard to break free using a screwdriver, had to use a rachet handle. Also, when I loosened them the glass dropped down a couple millimeters so I expected there would be some alignment coming up (see below). The screws also have a washer so just be careful to get both from each of the 4 locations.
Lifted the sunroof from the outside of the car. Note I wore gym shorts and removed all jewelry/watches/anything else that could scratch the exterior (they do this at car factories).
Removed the old weatherstrip, taking care to not which side was out so I could be sure to line up the new accordingly.
Easy to pull off the old seal
Started fitting the new weatherstrip. It was a little tricky because the sunroof is a little heavy and pretty unwieldy. I found that laying a blanket on the ground, holding the glass vertical, and pushing down on the strip worked well. The glass has a channel that the seal has to go over, I found that pushing it on at a 45 degree angle from the exterior side worked pretty well. The lip on the exterior needed to be "fluffed" next.

Once I got the seal on all the way around, I pulled the lip up and away from the glass with my thumb to get it all smoothed out and "fluffed."
Before fluffing After fluffing the same location
It probably took me 20 minutes to get the seal exactly in place. It should be smooth as you look down the edge, and you should be able to pull on it a little away from the glass without any give.

Now put the glass back onto the frame and line up the screw holes. I started just light tightening the screws with the glass at rest, then closed the sunroof. It definitely was sunken:
Resting height needs adjustment. You may want to take a before photo to compare.At this point it was trial and error to get the glass flush with the roof. Then tighten the screws using the rachet, put the accordions back in place, and take it for a test drive!
After adjustment

The wind noise was definitely lower, I couldn't tell whether the slider was open or closed and that's my definition of success!
Hello I know this post is old but i was trying to do the same thing and the torx bolt started to get stripped. i tried pb blaster and hammering on it to try to loosen it a bit and nothing is working. any tips?