GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Base 350 vs. F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 03:40 PM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I just looked at the driver's window partially rolled down in my 2017 GS350 w/Luxury pkg. The glass seems thicker than most others I have looked at, and there is a subtle blackish-grey stripe at the center of the edge around the entire edge of the glass. I went over it with my fingernail, and cannot detect an actual seam. The edge of the glass is slightly rounded and unclear.

Does this sound like double pane? The etched writing on the glass says nothing about it being double pane.
Old 06-08-17, 07:57 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by btanchors
OK, I just looked at the driver's window partially rolled down in my 2017 GS350 w/Luxury pkg. The glass seems thicker than most others I have looked at, and there is a subtle blackish-grey stripe at the center of the edge around the entire edge of the glass. I went over it with my fingernail, and cannot detect an actual seam. The edge of the glass is slightly rounded and unclear.

Does this sound like double pane? The etched writing on the glass says nothing about it being double pane.
Yes it's double pane. I have it on my 450h, It's standard with the cold weather package(heated steering wheel)....
Old 06-09-17, 05:43 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder what other "unadvertised" upgrades come with the luxury package...I did not even know about the double pane glass!
Old 06-09-17, 06:50 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
How much did that cost, what did you do. Only thing I like about F sport is exterior styling and extra power seat option, would rather get non F sport and just make exterior look F sport,

Luxury option costs more then F sport and is very rare.
With parts, paint and labor (had it custom painted SFP and black) it cost me around $1,100 total for the front end F Sport conversion. I found the F Sport bumper on Ebay, got the F Sport grills, inserts and tow hook cover from the factory, and had my buddy's shop custom paint and install...was a direct fit! I've also done other mods but for me I am more pleased now compared to if I would've found the F Sport I was looking for originally haha. Every time I look at it or get compliments on the exterior and interior I know it was worth it.
Old 06-09-17, 07:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've never actually been able to figure out how Lexus decides which GS models get the double pane glass. It seems very inconsistent.
Old 06-09-17, 08:34 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
With parts, paint and labor (had it custom painted SFP and black) it cost me around $1,100 total for the front end F Sport conversion. I found the F Sport bumper on Ebay, got the F Sport grills, inserts and tow hook cover from the factory, and had my buddy's shop custom paint and install...was a direct fit! I've also done other mods but for me I am more pleased now compared to if I would've found the F Sport I was looking for originally haha. Every time I look at it or get compliments on the exterior and interior I know it was worth it.

Nice, not too expensive. I remember asking a question a while back if the F sport had the luxury package available because that is what I would want and unfortunately it did not. The only thing I would really want from the F sport package was the sporty exterior appearance, inside I would prefer the luxury package/features, you have the best of both worlds.
Old 06-09-17, 08:37 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Nice, not too expensive. I remember asking a question a while back if the F sport had the luxury package available because that is what I would want and unfortunately it did not. The only thing I would really want from the F sport package was the sporty exterior appearance, inside I would prefer the luxury package/features, you have the best of both worlds.
Exactly! Originally wanted an F Spot and was mad when I couldn't find the combo I wanted but must say I'm glad it worked out the way it did now lol.
Old 06-09-17, 09:04 AM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The top edge of the glass should look similar to this, that is how you definitively determine if the glass is double pane or not. I believe Lexus refers to it as "acoustic" windows:

The following users liked this post:
2008GSh (07-07-21)
Old 06-09-17, 09:47 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

from How to identify 4GS options, with pictures post above..

Originally Posted by 1fuzzybk
Another cold weather package item is the dual pane front windows

Dual pane window
Old 06-09-17, 10:11 AM
ericwudi08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If nothing else, its for the F-sport sub-branding!
Old 06-09-17, 05:17 PM
maveriCK..
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

base luxury > F-sport

more sophisticated..

Old 06-09-17, 07:16 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

VGRS, sportier AVS, red leather option, and LFA-inspired digital gauges (on 2016+) makes the F-sport way more appealing than the base to me.
Old 01-29-21, 03:50 PM
Velocity00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No CVT NO more regrets

Originally Posted by bb700092
I love the CVT. Have been driving them in Maximas for the last 10 years and that is the only thing I miss in my GS. They are sooooo smooth... no shift shock! I wish I could give you my 8-speed and get your CVT in return.
I loved my 2011 maxima, especially since, it was paid for. I hated the CVT and it was the reason I traded that car. The droning, the transmission whine and the thought of transmission failure drove into my awd gs350.
While it's much thirstier than the maxima, the gs350 is far superior and I personally like the transmission shifts that I can feel.
Old 01-30-21, 03:06 AM
DiscoJango
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

not sure why people like the wood grain steering wheel? its like holding onto a piece of cold plastic...
Old 01-30-21, 06:27 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJango
not sure why people like the wood grain steering wheel? its like holding onto a piece of cold plastic...
The Bamboo in my car is different not like the high gloss plastic looking wood. It has a more natural look/feel. Also the leather is colder than the wood. The downside with the wood steering wheel is the heated part is smaller than the all leather steering wheel, but the Bamboo does look a lot better.

The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-30-21)

Quick Reply: Base 350 vs. F-Sport