GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Base 350 vs. F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 10:45 AM
darylcf108
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Base 350 vs. F-Sport

My issue is this. Why shell out all that money for an 2013 F-sport model car when you can get a base model gs 350 with the luxury package including the Sport+ engine?? The F-sport doesn’t give you any extra features besides the different interior seats and a meaner look outside. I mean I can say my base model gs350 is actually an F-sport without the seats. I have the Sport+ engine. I also would rather have the wood grain steering wheel compared to the all leather one. The luxury package give you radio and audio controls in the back whereas the F-sport doesn’t. I mean what’s the deal on the F-sport that I cannot get on my base model? It’s not as if your F-sport will be any faster than my base model. So what’s the point of it? Is it just the wheel sizes???

Last edited by darylcf108; 06-06-17 at 10:49 AM. Reason: adding more
Old 06-06-17, 10:51 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darylcf108
My issue is this. Why shell out all that money for an 2013 F-sport model car when you can get a base model gs 350 with the luxury package including the Sport+ engine?? The F-sport doesn’t give you any extra features besides the different interior seats and a meaner look outside. I mean I can say my base model gs350 is actually an F-sport without the seats. I have the Sport+ engine. I also would rather have the wood grain steering wheel compared to the all leather one. The luxury package give you radio and audio controls in the back whereas the F-sport doesn’t. I mean what’s the deal on the F-sport that I cannot get on my base model? It’s not as if your F-sport will be any faster than my base model. So what’s the point of it? Is it just the wheel sizes???
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vs-luxury.html 3rd post
Also, there's no such thing as a "Sport + engine." There's only one 350 motor - the sport/sport + has to do with transmission and accelerator responsiveness, IIRC
The following users liked this post:
ganyamilo (01-31-21)
Old 06-06-17, 10:53 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

F sport exterior styling
f sport perforated leather–trimmed steering wheel and shifter
variable gear-ratio steering
naguri aluminum interior trim
f sport 19-inch split-five-spoke forged alloy wheels with dark graphite finish
high-performance f sport brakes
f sport suspension tuning
lfa-inspired digital instrumentation
Old 06-06-17, 11:04 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Default The price about comparable

I don't thing F sport package is higher price than Luxury package.
Also sport+ mode in luxury package tuned different with f sport.
Old 06-06-17, 11:29 AM
Socal858
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The brakes on the F sport are great, they stop from 60-0 around 15 feet shorter than the non sport brakes. That makes for great peace of mind and is better than some world class sports cars like the current M5 and previous Cayman GTS.
Old 06-06-17, 11:36 AM
itjustme
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The brakes are amazing!!!!
Old 06-06-17, 11:52 AM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like buyers remorse is setting in.
Old 06-06-17, 11:58 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a lux model but love the exterior styling of an F Sport so I did an exterior F Sport conversion. Now I have the best of both worlds, F Sport look outside while luxury features and wood inside. I personally would've gotten an F Sport but couldn't find a good used one with the combo I wanted at the time but all in all am very pleased with the route I took. It's all buyer's preference tbh.
The following 2 users liked this post by JWBlakk:
darylcf108 (06-06-17), ganyamilo (01-31-21)
Old 06-06-17, 12:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

There's more to it than that.

The luxury package cars are great. They have some amazing interior features and they get AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension). They have the great leather, highly adjustable front seats, rear climate controls and side sunshades, etc.

The F Sport package also has AVS, but it's tuned much more aggressively than the AVS in the luxury package cars. As others noted, you get the more aggressive front styling, variable ratio steering (RWD), available rear wheel steering (RWD) and the F Sport brakes and wheels. In the interior you'll get the perforated leather steering wheel instead of wood, the aluminum trim instead of wood, aluminum pedals, black headliner, etc.

The price between F Sport and Luxury packages are pretty minimal. As I recall when I got my F Sport, the luxury package was just a hair more expensive.

I chose the F Sport mostly for the looks. I don't care for the more reserved styling used on the base and luxury model cars. I also preferred the interior styling and F Sport trim. With my small kids, it seemed like the rear seat controls would be wasted (my 2 year old is not going to be setting audio and climate settings back there) and the rear heated seats (if equipped) would not be used with my kids' car seats, The semi-aniline leather would have been nice, but I'm fine with the regular leather in my F Sport.

It's all a matter of tastes and preferences. I wouldn't say either one is wrong, they just suit different people.
Old 06-06-17, 01:03 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
There's more to it than that.

The luxury package cars are great. They have some amazing interior features and they get AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension). They have the great leather, highly adjustable front seats, rear climate controls and side sunshades, etc.

The F Sport package also has AVS, but it's tuned much more aggressively than the AVS in the luxury package cars. As others noted, you get the more aggressive front styling, variable ratio steering (RWD), available rear wheel steering (RWD) and the F Sport brakes and wheels. In the interior you'll get the perforated leather steering wheel instead of wood, the aluminum trim instead of wood, aluminum pedals, black headliner, etc.

The price between F Sport and Luxury packages are pretty minimal. As I recall when I got my F Sport, the luxury package was just a hair more expensive.

I chose the F Sport mostly for the looks. I don't care for the more reserved styling used on the base and luxury model cars. I also preferred the interior styling and F Sport trim. With my small kids, it seemed like the rear seat controls would be wasted (my 2 year old is not going to be setting audio and climate settings back there) and the rear heated seats (if equipped) would not be used with my kids' car seats, The semi-aniline leather would have been nice, but I'm fine with the regular leather in my F Sport.

It's all a matter of tastes and preferences. I wouldn't say either one is wrong, they just suit different people.
Could you please point me towards some official info on the difference in AVS tuning in the F-Sport package and that in the luxury package?
Old 06-06-17, 01:22 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
Could you please point me towards some official info on the difference in AVS tuning in the F-Sport package and that in the luxury package?
Happy to.

This video explains it (note the discussion of AVS starts at about 8:45, with the difference between luxury and F Sport around 10:00):

The following 5 users liked this post by JDR76:
bb700092 (06-06-17), ganyamilo (01-31-21), greys0uled (10-05-23), jimrock187 (11-20-22), shurik74 (06-06-17)
Old 06-06-17, 01:32 PM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I much prefer the Luxury package over the F-Sport. The Luxury package is slightly more expensive.

My reasoning is as follows:

1) The F-Sport brakes wear out more quickly than the non-F-Sport, and the rotors don't last as long either. This is based on hearsay and what I have read on various forums. Plus, To replace both brake linings and rotors is around $1,000. I have heard that this needs to be done as early as every 20K miles. I just don't need the better brake performance to justify this expense for me.

2) I like the upgraded leather in the Luxury package, although I suspect the leather in the F-Sport is just as good.

3) I love the rear armrest controls!

4) I got the 19-inch upgraded summer tires with the Luxury package, which improves handling somewhat, although not as good as the F-Sport.

Overall, for me, the Luxury package was more valuable to me. But I can understand why someone would prefer the F-Sport as well.

What puzzles me is why the Luxury package is so hard to find. I had to go out of state to find one (I'm in Northern Virginia)
Old 06-06-17, 01:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Speaking of brakes, I'm at 40K miles and still on the stock FSport rotors. I replaced the front pads at around 20K and the old pads still got some meat left, probably can go for another 2-3K miles.

I do see some wear on the front rotors but they're still thick. The rear rotors and pads look like they're barely worn.
Old 06-06-17, 02:08 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel lucky. 46K on original pads and rotors (non FSport).
Old 06-06-17, 03:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Good video.
However, be careful.
The base model with non-electronic shock absorbers have the softest shock absorber valving.
The electronic shock absorber valving on the Luxury and F Sport at Normal Mode is firmer.
The Luxury's AVS on Sport+ Mode is firmer again.
While the F Sport's Sport+ Mode is most firm.

It certainly puts to rest a small number of posts that imply/claim that AVS electronic variable shock absorber valving automatically has a better ride.
In truth, the actual ride quality depends on the size of the shock absorber valving, hence resistance to oil flow inside the cartridge.
The wider the opening, the less the body control, for a lower frequency of vertical oscillations which is more comfortable.

Only 79 lbs of weight difference between 350 & 200t - the weight of a child - hints that spring and damper rates should be roughly compatible between 350 and 200t.
The following users liked this post:
fastcorner (07-31-23)

Quick Reply: Base 350 vs. F-Sport