Hijinks with "Certified" Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 01:12 PM
filmdork
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hijinks with "Certified" Lexus

Hi everyone,

So I bought my Lexus (GS 350 F-Sport) certified in October 2015. I had my first service appointment in June 2016 (offered free as part of the sales package with South County Lexus). I went to get my official complementary service job from Jim Falk Lexus today and they said that South County Lexus had claimed it already even though they specifically told me that they were not. Furthermore, I was informed that the tires that were included when I bought my car certified (supposedly brand new) were the incorrect tires for that model and also were already worn out. I've only put 8,000 miles on it since then, so there is absolutely no way that these tires could have been now when I bought it.

I guess my question is: Is there any way to file a complaint against a dealer who did not adhere to the L/Certified terms despite representing that they were doing so? Has anyone ever had to deal with something like this before?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-17, 01:32 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by filmdork
Hi everyone,

So I bought my Lexus (GS 350 F-Sport) certified in October 2015. I had my first service appointment in June 2016 (offered free as part of the sales package with South County Lexus). I went to get my official complementary service job from Jim Falk Lexus today and they said that South County Lexus had claimed it already even though they specifically told me that they were not. Furthermore, I was informed that the tires that were included when I bought my car certified (supposedly brand new) were the incorrect tires for that model and also were already worn out. I've only put 8,000 miles on it since then, so there is absolutely no way that these tires could have been now when I bought it.

I guess my question is: Is there any way to file a complaint against a dealer who did not adhere to the L/Certified terms despite representing that they were doing so? Has anyone ever had to deal with something like this before?

Thanks!

I think I understand your statement above. Some details seem to be missing but here it goes:

1) If SC Lexus is claiming they already performed your first service under the certified program, have them present you with the service receipt with your signature on it and the stated date/time of the service. If they cannot provide a copy with your signature then you can state it did not happen and let the GM know (of the full dealership and not just service) you suspect fraud is occurring in the service department against Lexus corp and you may report it to Corp. Also if the date/time of service is a date/time you are at work or was unavailable to bring it in (maybe a business trip, etc), let them know that date/time was impossible for you to have brought it in for service and again, there is some funny business going on.

2) Regarding the tires. The certification does not require new tires. They just have to have a minimum level of tread left on the tires. When I bought both of my certified cars, two tires were new and two still had enough tread left to not require replacement. By the time I put 8K-10K miles on the car (so the tires had around 30K miles total), those two tires needed replacing. I suspect this is the same thing you are experiencing.

Good luck and let us know what happens when you ask for a copy of the service receipt. Wonder if it will suddenly be "lost' and they offer to perform the service for you without charge as a courtesy.

Last edited by Davenlei; 06-08-17 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-08-17, 05:57 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Plus one on the tire comments listed above. I purchased my 2015 GS about ten months ago. It was a CPO unit and did not have new tires...but a lot of tread was on them. Plus we just purchased a CPO GX460 two weeks ago. The tires are definitely NOT new and the dealership was quite up front about them having "6/32" of tread remaining".

Be advised, from the day of purchase (on my GS) I felt the car was not "connected" to the road. I complained, but everything "checked out". I finally gave in and just thought it must be "different" than my previous car (2014 BMW 550). About three weeks ago I finally decided to get the alignment checked...BOOM. The toe adjustment was off by quite a bit, both front and rear. Now the car tracks perfectly and drives much, much better.

All that said, perhaps there is an alignment problem that is contributing to premature tire wear (in addition to not have new tires to begin with). Whether or not that's a "dealer issue" is up to you. I'll also comment that the better performing tires normally don't have a long life anyway.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-17, 07:44 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You can also log into MyLexus and check the service history on the car to see what service was done and when.
Old 06-09-17, 11:28 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts

If you cannot resolve this to your satisfaction, call Lexus corporate.

I have gotten service credits in the past in response to unsatisfactory deal experience.