Engine whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21, 10:57 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k4CamkilA
i hate this sound
supercharger whine lol. Some people would find that pleasant.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-21-21 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-22-21, 09:41 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Anyone know how hard it is to replace? I have had the whine, I live with it, but if it's a cheap fix, I wouldn't mind tinkering
Old 12-22-21, 09:47 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I have this problem right now. Its the Tensioner pulley. Only 39k and its whining. I plan to replace it myself real soon. Its the pulley on it. Going to just get the Toy/Lex complete unit and new belt to assure I don't have a tensioner malfunction also.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11176107

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ley-noise.html
Old 12-22-21, 09:50 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
I have this problem right now. Its the Tensioner pulley. Only 39k and its whining. I plan to replace it myself real soon. Its the pulley on it. Going to just get the Toy/Lex complete unit and new belt to assure I don't have a tensioner malfunction also.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11176107

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ley-noise.html
I have inspected my pulleys, even replaced the idlthe
the noise still exists with the belt removed from the engine.
I assume based on other posts that it is the timing chain tensioner
Old 12-22-21, 09:56 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrplesh
I have inspected my pulleys, even replaced the idlthe
the noise still exists with the belt removed from the engine.
I assume based on other posts that it is the timing chain tensioner
Understand just saying that I have a whine and what mine is. I hope I'm not back here posting I replaced the belt and pulley and the whine is still there.

Is there a updated timing chain Tensioner from 2013? What year is your car? Where do you hear it from? Top left, right where?
Old 12-22-21, 10:01 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
Is there a updated timing chain Tensioner from 2013? What year is your car? Where do you hear it from? Top left, right where?
Not an updated that I am aware of, but I'm at 133k so I wouldn't be upset if it needed replacement. I'll investigate the location of the sound better next chance I get
Old 12-22-21, 10:23 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrplesh
Not an updated that I am aware of, but I'm at 133k so I wouldn't be upset if it needed replacement. I'll investigate the location of the sound better next chance I get
Thanks, blew seeing you sig with the year. lol!
Old 12-24-21, 04:28 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a 2013 with only 40K miles and the same whining sound when accelerating/increasing revs. Has anyone nailed down whether this is the timing chain tensioner or the tension pulley?If you have had either of these replaced at the dealer how much was the total cost?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Knq...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by jeverett72; 12-24-21 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-24-21, 06:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

A bad or failing diode in an alternator will make a high-pitched, whining noise.

You can test your alternator to see if it has a bad or failing diode - and if it fails the test it will probably eliminate anything else you think may be causing the high-pitched whining noise.

You'll need a common VOM (volt-ohm-meter) to perform the test. Select 'AC Volts' on the meter. With the engine running make contact with the meter's probes to the battery terminals. The AC voltage should read zero. If you have any amount of AC voltage it indicates the alternator has one or more bad or failing diodes.

The principle behind the test is this - An alternator makes AC voltage and converts the AC voltage to DC voltage by using six or more diodes in a full-wave bridge configuration to rectify AC voltage to DC voltage. If the alternator has bad or failing diodes its output will have some amount of AC voltage whereas a sound alternator will only have pure, smooth (low-ripple) DC voltage and no AC voltage. Bad or failing diodes in the alternator's full-wave bridge will cause it to 'sing' with a high-pitched whining noise, which is often mistaken for a mechanical metal-on-metal or bad bearing type sound.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by bclexus; 12-25-21 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RivieraRed (02-18-23)
Old 12-24-21, 08:24 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks that does help. This could definitely be the cause b/c now that I think about it the whining sound started recently after the battery in my other car died and I tried to jump it with my GS. It didn't work and maybe that shorted some of the diodes in my alternator.

Originally Posted by bclexus
A bad or failing diode in an alternator will make a high-pitched, whining noise.

You can test your alternator to see if it has a bad or failing diode - and if it fails the test it will probably eliminate anything else you think may be causing the high-pitched whining noise.

You'll need a common VOM (volt-ohm-meter) to perform the test. Select 'AC Volts' on the meter. With the engine running make contact with the meter's probes to the battery terminals. The AC voltage should read zero. If you have any amount of AC voltage it indicates a bad or failing diode. The principle behind the test is this - An alternator makes AC voltage and converts the AC voltage to DC voltage by using six or more diodes in a full-wave bridge configuration to rectify AC voltage to DC voltage. If the alternator has a bad or failing diode its output will have some amount of AC voltage whereas a sound alternator will only have pure, smooth (low-ripple) DC voltage and no AC voltage. A bad or failing diode in the full-wave bridge will cause it to 'sing' with a high-pitched whining noise, which often is mistaken for a mechanical metal-on-metal sound.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by jeverett72; 12-24-21 at 10:39 PM.
bclexus (12-25-21)
Old 12-25-21, 07:53 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jeverett72
Thanks that does help. This could definitely be the cause b/c now that I think about it the whining sound started recently after the battery in my other car died and I tried to jump it with my GS. It didn't work and maybe that shorted some of the diodes in my alternator.
I'm glad it did help!

A bad alternator is very harmful to an otherwise healthy battery and the likelihood that the battery will continue to start the engine much longer is pretty slim. The reason why is because a bad alternator cannot properly charge the battery, so it's constantly in a state of deterioration. A battery that will not start an engine is either almost drained (dead) or has a bad (internally shorted) cell which has an almost immediate death warrant. In the case of an almost drained battery it is important to find out why it is almost drained, which most often is caused by a bad alternator.

Chances are pretty good the act of jump-starting that other car blew one or more of the alternator's diodes. it sounds like (excuse the pun) your alternator needs to be replaced with a new one.

I'd recommend having the alternator checked for confirmation that it's bad. The technician should do a test similar to what I explained, looking for AC voltage output, though the 'diode whine' is a leading clue.

You want to make sure you can get the car to wherever the alternator is going to be replaced. I'd think twice before having a rebuilt or used alternator installed...

Last edited by bclexus; 12-25-21 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-25-21, 10:34 AM
Saadq12
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2013 with only 40K miles and the same whining sound when accelerating/increasing revs. Has anyone nailed down whether this is the timing chain tensioner or the tension pulley?If you have had either of these replaced at the dealer how much was the total cost?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Knq...ew?usp=sharing
this sounds totally normal to me…my 200k mile GS350 sounds exactly like that as well. The 2GR-FSE is known for a slight whine cause of the the timing chain and ticking from both fuel injectors
Old 12-26-21, 08:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 2013 with only 40K miles and the same whining sound when accelerating/increasing revs. If you have had either of these replaced at the dealer how much was the total cost?
If the noise is coming from your alternator you're looking at $700 to $800 at the dealer to replace it. A new OE alternator would be charged out at $534 and probably 1.5 to 2 hours labor at ~$130+ per hour to remove/replace and test it, plus sales tax and maybe some minor parts like solvent and under hood push type retainer clips. You'll likely need the battery replaced as well at ~$150 installed. You should be able to leave the dealer spending just under $1,000.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-26-21 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-26-21, 09:00 AM
Saadq12
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
If the noise is coming from your alternator you're looking at $700 to $800 at the dealer to replace it. A new OE alternator would be charged out at $534 and probably 1.5 to 2 hours labor at ~$130+ per hour to remove/replace and test it, plus sales tax and maybe some minor parts like solvent and under hood push type retainer clips. You'll likely need the battery replaced as well at ~$150 installed. You should be able to leave the dealer spending just under $1,000.
I bought a remanufactured Denso alternator from RockAuto for like 160$ and got it installed by my mechanic for another 200$. It’s been working fine since
QLex300 (12-29-21)
Old 12-26-21, 10:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Saadq12
I bought a remanufactured Denso alternator from RockAuto for like 160$ and got it installed by my mechanic for another 200$. It’s been working fine since
He asked about the cost of having parts replace at the dealer. Yes, a rebuilt/ remanufactured automotive part almost always has old parts that were not replaced when the item was rebuilt/ remanufactured. It's also been found that sometimes the parts used to rebuilt/ remanufacture some parts are not equivalent to what was used by the OEM. They've been known to use inferior individual parts that can't be trusted like a new OE item. I've seen enough rebuilt/ remanufactured parts that failed to come anywhere close to matching OE parts to know that I don't want them.

Last edited by bclexus; 12-26-21 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine whine