GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Engine whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-21, 05:35 PM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Saadq12
this sounds totally normal to me…my 200k mile GS350 sounds exactly like that as well. The 2GR-FSE is known for a slight whine cause of the the timing chain and ticking from both fuel injectors
yeah, I thought this noise was completely normal. Even heard it on other models like the IS350 too. Here’s a video of it when the GS was brand new. Go to the 2:20 mark
Old 12-26-21, 06:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I just got through with trying to figure out a whine noise on my GS. I have had to deal with this more times that I wanted to on prior Honda/Acura's also. Its easier than you think to figure it out. Get a pipe like PVC put you ear to and move around carefully near the pulleys while someone accelerates the engine. You will hear a different distinct high pitched whine at some pulley.

Another way is to get a thin screwdriver, or hard wire. Touch the bolts on the end of the pulleys. When you feel some grinding and/or vibration more than the others, that's the one that's making the whine. There are Bearing in the pulley, when they go bad and can whine and they also are giving a growling rattle sound. As the rpm increase it becomes a louder higher pitch whine. In my case I have had my car a while and knew that something was whining that was not before.

On the Vid above, IMO that is Not normal. That's a problem I hear, and I had the chance to hear more that a few GS350 and IS350 engines. Although I am not expert and just sharing is all.
Old 12-26-21, 06:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingmatt24
yeah, I thought this noise was completely normal. Even heard it on other models like the IS350 too. Here’s a video of it when the GS was brand new. Go to the 2:20 mark https://youtu.be/-7asJfrCzbQ
That's nothing like the whine of a bad alternator. What slight whirl sound I hear in the video is typical of most engines' rotating mass, fan noise and accessory belts for A/C and alternator.
Old 12-26-21, 07:06 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
That's nothing like the whine of a bad alternator. What slight whirl sound I hear in the video is typical of most engines' rotating mass, fan noise and accessory belts for A/C and alternator.
b/c, on that vid at the 2:20 mark. Unlike the other startups, idles and acells. At the 2:20 mark you don't think there is a bearing whine that should not be from something? Just asking.
Old 12-26-21, 07:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
b/c, on that vid at the 2:20 mark. Unlike the other startups, idles and acells. At the 2:20 mark you don't think there is a bearing whine that should not be from something? Just asking.
I'm not totally sure of your question (i.e. you don't think there is a bearing whine that should not be from something?)

I don't hear anything unusual - certainly not a metal-on-metal or high friction bearing noise, or anything alarming.

I think the GS 350 in the video is brand new and of course the car shouldn't have anything wrong with it. The engine sounds perfectly normal to me, and I wouldn't expect it to sound any different.
Old 12-26-21, 07:56 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I'm not totally sure of your question (i.e. you don't think there is a bearing whine that should not be from something?)

I don't hear anything unusual - certainly not a metal-on-metal or high friction bearing noise, or anything alarming.

I think the GS 350 in the video is brand new and of course the car shouldn't have anything wrong with it. The engine sounds perfectly normal to me, and I wouldn't expect it to sound any different.
Ok yes I didn't really do a good job with that did I? Ok let me try again.

The other engines did not have the whine like the one did at 2:20. Were you saying you though the one the poster pointed out at 2:20 was sounded normal? To me it sound like a Not normal whine.
Old 12-26-21, 08:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Ok yes I didn't really do a good job with that did I? Ok let me try again.

The other engines did not have the whine like the one did at 2:20. Were you saying you though the one the poster pointed out at 2:20 was sounded normal? To me it sound like a Not normal whine.
What other engines are you referring to? Is there more than one video?
Old 12-26-21, 11:03 PM
Saadq12
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

What other engines are you referring to? Is there more than one video?
someone posted this above: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Knq...ew?usp=sharing

both of them sound normal to me.

Last edited by Saadq12; 12-26-21 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-27-21, 05:19 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

someone posted this above: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Knq...ew?usp=sharing

yeah. Both sound to same to me. In this video they’re just holding the revs longer. I thought this noise was normal across different models. It was present when they were brand new. I’m not saying Lexus is perfect but I don’t think they would have these cars leaving with that noise from factory if it wasn’t normal. And as far as I’ve seen, people haven’t dealt with those noises leading to bigger issues and dealerships have been saying it’s normal as well
Old 12-27-21, 05:20 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

It’s just the secret supercharger that Lexus didn’t want to advertise
Old 12-27-21, 08:31 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

That was me. Now that I've seen some videos on YT of the 2GR-FSE and FE revving it does sound like it might be normal, but I'm taking it to a local mechanic that specializes in Japanese/import cars tomorrow to have them check it out. I'm probably being paranoid but better safe than sorry. I'll update with what they say.
Old 12-27-21, 08:35 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

here's an 07 Camry with the whining sound, but this engine also whines when it is idling which mine does not. Mine only whines above about 2500-3k RPM

Last edited by jeverett72; 12-27-21 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-27-21, 09:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jeverett72
That was me. Now that I've seen some videos on YT of the 2GR-FSE and FE revving it does sound like it might be normal, but I'm taking it to a local mechanic that specializes in Japanese/import cars tomorrow to have them check it out. I'm probably being paranoid but better safe than sorry. I'll update with what they say.
I think I know what you will find out. But let us know.
Old 12-28-21, 08:38 AM
jeverett72
Intermediate

I think I know what you will find out. But let us know.
So the owner of the shop listened to a couple of things with his stethoscope, tested alternator and said the sound is normal. Didn't charge me anything. Owns a 2006 GS430 and a 2014 Sequoia. Always good to see what the people who know choose to drive.
Old 12-29-21, 03:55 AM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had my serp belt on my GS300 changed yesterday, dealer said the belt looks like it was put on with the grooves in the belt reversed and suggested that I get them to change to the correct way. SO I let them. Car drove great no noise or anything. I'm commenting here because today, I start the car around 5a to get ready for work and she's making a whining noise like discussed in the post here.
I'm thinking maybe the belt was on wrong? IDK I never got to see it, was just reported to me it was, but I do now my car was making a whining noise.

I'm call in the morning and get them to look it over and I'm sure they will say its something else..
How can wrong be right and right be wrong lol, al can do is laugh about

HAVE GREAT DAY

Quick Reply: Engine whine