Sunroof leaking water

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-17, 01:55 PM
mrcleean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sunroof leaking water

Hello everyone,

New 2014 F sport owner here and had a question. Should the sunroof seal allow water to go through even if it's not during a heavy rain storm? I noticed that water was dripping down into the rear catch tray during light rain and even when the rain stopped and water was just sitting on top of the roof. I brought this to the attention of the dealership and they said it was normal. I understand that the sunroof is designed to where any water penetration would flow out through the drains, however, shouldn't the seal be tight enough to where light rain would not penetrate? I did a test in my garage at night where I shined a flashlight between the seal and the roof of my car and I could see light leaking through the rear of the sunroof, which is the exact spot I could see the water coming in from. If this is normal then I won't press the issue any further, otherwise if you guys say it isn't, I will try another dealer to see what they say. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-16-17, 07:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcleean
Hello everyone,

New 2014 F sport owner here and had a question. Should the sunroof seal allow water to go through even if it's not during a heavy rain storm? I noticed that water was dripping down into the rear catch tray during light rain and even when the rain stopped and water was just sitting on top of the roof. I brought this to the attention of the dealership and they said it was normal. I understand that the sunroof is designed to where any water penetration would flow out through the drains, however, shouldn't the seal be tight enough to where light rain would not penetrate? I did a test in my garage at night where I shined a flashlight between the seal and the roof of my car and I could see light leaking through the rear of the sunroof, which is the exact spot I could see the water coming in from. If this is normal then I won't press the issue any further, otherwise if you guys say it isn't, I will try another dealer to see what they say. Thanks in advance for your input.
Rain water will get into the catch tray (as you call it) and will drain out through dedicated sunroof drain lines. This is normal and happens on brand new vehicles. That's the way the sunroof is designed. If you are not getting water inside the cabin area, you do not have an issue...
The following users liked this post:
PGA71 (09-09-17)
Old 06-16-17, 08:05 PM
mrcleean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Rain water will get into the catch tray (as you call it) and will drain out through dedicated sunroof drain lines. This is normal and happens on brand new vehicles. That's the way the sunroof is designed. If you are not getting water inside the cabin area, you do not have an issue...
Thank you bclexus!
Old 06-16-17, 11:24 PM
mrcleean
Driver School Candidate

Moderators,

​​​​Please close and/or delete this thread as my question has been answered. Thank you!