GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Stuck radio volume knob = $10,000 repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 07:01 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
When I saw this years ago.
2. I take it off every 3-6 months and spray the dial POTS and **** teeth with electroins clean and lube, to Prevent from ever happening.

Totally unnecessary taking it on/off, if you keep trying to fix something that's not broken, one day you might cause a problem. 2013 125k miles zero **** issue ever. It takes a descent amount of force to smash the **** in, people with this problem just push it in hard, fat finger mistake.

Last edited by peasodos; 08-09-22 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-09-22, 07:46 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Has no one thought of a REPAIR person? Stereo repair shop / Electronics Technician / Ham Radio Enthusiast - each can replace the Potentiometer + Switch {or send you to someone who can fix it} with identical switch.
Then again, you might have to settle for a volume control that turns the Stereo On & Off by rotating the ****. instead of pushing it. OMG, the horror!
  • Material cost: Under $30
  • Labor: Maybe as much as an hour - $100? $150?
  • //

Last edited by Riick; 08-09-22 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-09-22, 08:12 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Is this a common thing? I've never had this problem with my 2014 before and the 2019 either. I've pushed it a couple times with moderate force and held it down, especially when resetting the nav system but it always popped back out like it should.
Old 08-09-22, 08:13 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Is this a common thing? I've never had this problem with my 2014 before and the 2019 either. I've pushed it a couple times with moderate force and held it down, especially when resetting the nav system but it always popped back out like it should.
No, you have to push pretty hard to have this problem, more than reasonable force.
Old 08-10-22, 09:39 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,356 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Totally unnecessary taking it on/off, if you keep trying to fix something that's not broken, one day you might cause a problem. 2013 125k miles zero **** issue ever. It takes a descent amount of force to smash the **** in, people with this problem just push it in hard, fat finger mistake.
Not at all useless to me being that this thread lets you know you could have the problem.

Also, do you understand that cleaning pots on electronics is a good idea? It keeps you from having a scratchy sounding control, and it sounding better as it gets older. This happens a lot on car radio controls in time.
Old 08-11-22, 02:45 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Not at all useless to me being that this thread lets you know you could have the problem.

Also, do you understand that cleaning pots on electronics is a good idea? It keeps you from having a scratchy sounding control, and it sounding better as it gets older. This happens a lot on car radio controls in time.
Zero issue with my radio ****, smooth, no scratchy sound, it will be the same at 230k miles, but keep doing whatever you want to do. This is a Lexus GS not a Ford Pinto lol. I've changed my radio 3 times, had 2013, 2014, 2015, then 2016+, I've disassembled/reassembled the entire radio.

You basically have to rage hit the **** to push it down, some people just don't realize how hard they pushed the ****, like poking someones eye out.

Last edited by peasodos; 08-11-22 at 03:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 04:22 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Zero issue with my radio ****, smooth, no scratchy sound, it will be the same at 230k miles, but keep doing whatever you want to do. This is a Lexus GS not a Ford Pinto lol. I've changed my radio 3 times, had 2013, 2014, 2015, then 2016+, I've disassembled/reassembled the entire radio.

You basically have to rage hit the **** to push it down, some people just don't realize how hard they pushed the ****, like poking someones eye out.
Even a Lexus Radio volume control is a Pot (potentiometer). All Pots are subject to build up at the contacts in time. In addition to it being a Lexus there are still many Audio system problems many Lexus owners have. The Pots do get staticky and the displays do fade out in time, just like any other car radio, in spite it being A Lexus. lol! FYI: Just about all Lexus Factory units are Pioneer head units, even the ML. Pioneer even makes Ford and Lincoln high and low end systems.

I said in my 1st post that likely some are excessive in use, to be not excessive is step one.

Last edited by jgscott; 08-11-22 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-11-22, 04:33 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Even a Lexus Radio volume control is a Pot (potentiometer). All Pots are subject to build up at the contacts in time. In addition to it being a Lexus there are still many Audio system problems many Lexus owners have. The Pots do get staticky and the displays do fade out in time, just like any other car radio, in spite it being A Lexus. lol! FYI: Just about all Lexus Factory units are Pioneer head units, even the ML. Pioneer even makes Ford and Lincoln high and low end systems.

I said in my 1st post that likely some are excessive in use, to be not excessive is step one.
It can be made by the same company but at totally different standard/quality. You can bet Ford purposely has corners cut to bring the unit cost down.

It's like products made in China, they make high quality products and low quality products. Only reason the low quality products exist is because that's what the consumer wants. There is a demand in the US for lower quality items that are much more affordable. Certain things are purposely not made like they use to for the sake of profit.

Last edited by peasodos; 08-11-22 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-11-22, 05:39 AM
Riptide711
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never push the on off button. When I don't want the rdio I turn the volume down...
Old 08-11-22, 08:13 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I think pressing the Mode button on the steering wheel turns the radio on and off too right?
spineman (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 10:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,179 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
I think pressing the Mode button on the steering wheel turns the radio on and off too right?
The Mode button changes the actual mode (e.g. AM, FM, Satellite (i.e XM), etc.
jgscott (08-11-22)
Old 08-11-22, 12:25 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
The Mode button changes the actual mode (e.g. AM, FM, Satellite (i.e XM), etc.
I mean press and hold!!! Forgot that part.
The following 2 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
bclexus (08-11-22), Im2bz2p345 (08-12-22)
Old 08-11-22, 01:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

It can be made by the same company but at totally different standard/quality. You can bet Ford purposely has corners cut to bring the unit cost down.

It's like products made in China, they make high quality products and low quality products. Only reason the low quality products exist is because that's what the consumer wants. There is a demand in the US for lower quality items that are much more affordable. Certain things are purposely not made like they use to for the sake of profit.
Not trying to argue but...... Luxury vs Luxury, puts the ML to shame.

https://driving.ca/features/feature-...ln-or-cadillac

The Lincoln’s Revel system sounds killer right out of the box. Leave the three-band EQ flat (from where the engineers tune these systems for optimum sound) and you’re good to go. There are three QuantumLogic Surround sound designs to choose from: the accurate but somewhat sterile Stereo, mid-setting Audience, and the wider ambient Concert. I found “Audience” to sit perfectly with my ears, providing excellent separation without drawing attention to itself. Never does the Revel system sound “coloured” — as in trying to overcompensate by boosting bass or high-end frequencies.

Old 08-11-22, 01:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,179 Likes on 1,562 Posts

Can you even get access to the wiper on the Lexus GS 350 head unit's volume pot in order to spray contact cleaner on the wiper and its resistive surface? Isn't that wiper type pot an old-timey design from way back many decades ago? I thought the volume controls used in modern head units nowadays were sealed and probably encoder type for a digital output signal.
Old 08-11-22, 01:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bclexus
Can you even get access to the wiper on the Lexus GS 350 head unit's volume pot in order to spray contact cleaner on the wiper and its resistive surface? Isn't that wiper type pot an old-timey design from way back many decades ago? I thought the volume controls used in modern head units nowadays were sealed and probably encoder type for a digital output signal.
Actually never thought about this? So do you know the definite answer? I know a repair shop here the local Lexus sends the units to from the dealers. I'll ask if you don't.

Quick Reply: Stuck radio volume knob = $10,000 repair?