GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Stuck radio volume knob = $10,000 repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 02:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Actually never thought about this? So do you know the definite answer? I know a repair shop here the local Lexus sends the units to from the dealers. I'll ask if you don't.
I would be very surprised if the volume control or any variable control (e.g. tuning) used a resistive wiper type potentiometer. That's just so old school, even pre-solid state era.
Old 08-11-22, 02:37 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I would be very surprised if the volume control or any variable control (e.g. tuning) used a resistive wiper type potentiometer. That's just so old school, even pre-solid state era.
So... you don't know? lol!
Old 08-11-22, 06:23 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
So... you don't know? lol!
I was attempting to be nice and humble with my response. I guess my form didn't achieve what I had intended.

I'll put it this way - it sure looks to me like a PCB mounted encoder controller (with a two-pin push On/Off circuit)!

Unlike inside a typical variable resistor potentiometer that has a moveable wiper that interacts with a resistive surface that can wear and get dirty over time and with use, an encoder doesn't have a surface that gets worn or dirty. Therefore, I don't think it'd be necessary nor wise to attempt to spray contact cleaner inside it or on it..

Last edited by bclexus; 08-12-22 at 06:33 AM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
RA051823 (09-07-22)
Old 08-11-22, 10:21 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Wow, just read this thread. Amazing. Are those problems still happening on the 2016 or newer models?

Old 08-12-22, 06:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by websurfer
Wow, just read this thread. Amazing. Are those problems still happening on the 2016 or newer models?
@websurfer - A stuck volume control **** (or tuning control ****) will continue happening as long as people pound, shove or depress the **** with way too much force. The problem is not the **** or the head unit equipment - the problem is careless, uncaring (probably emotional) people that pound on or shove the **** too hard!
NJLEXES (09-06-22)
Old 08-12-22, 08:07 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

@websurfer - A stuck volume control **** (or tuning control ****) will continue happening as long as people pound, shove or depress the **** with way too much force. The problem is not the **** or the head unit equipment - the problem is careless, uncaring (probably emotional) people that pound on or shove the **** too hard!
Exactly that's what I was trying to explain to people earlier. BC is 100% correct and thanks for providing the pictures. This is not a problem with the head unit, it's excessive force pushing the ****, some people I guess don't realize how hard they hit the ****. I've had head units from 4 different years, every iteration/improvement with the system on the 4GS, never had this issue.

Last edited by peasodos; 08-12-22 at 08:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
bclexus (08-12-22), NJLEXES (09-06-22)
Old 08-12-22, 08:22 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I'm very pretty gentle with my usage on the radio so I hope it will last a long time.
Old 08-12-22, 07:24 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I was attempting to be nice and humble with my response. I guess my form didn't achieve what I had intended.

I'll put it this way - it sure looks to me like a PCB mounted encoder controller (with a two-pin push On/Off circuit)!

Unlike inside a typical variable resistor potentiometer that has a moveable wiper that interacts with a resistive surface that can wear and get dirty over time and with use, an encoder doesn't have a surface that gets worn or dirty. Therefore, I don't think it'd be necessary nor wise to attempt to spray contact cleaner inside it or on it..

The answer is - That radio volume control is a rotary encoder controller. There are 2 different types. The ones used in this and most others for volume in simple car radio head units are encoders, but they are the simple contacting rotary type. It does have simple metal contacts that can contaminate and can be cleaned with the correct spray cleaners, and/or disassembled and cleaned, or sprayed as preventative to inhibit build up in the 1st place. They are not air and water tight. These are volume, not like a the optical ones used on a computer mouse. There are optical and, there are mechanical encoders. This one is a simple contacting mechanical for volume and power. They can become erratic in time especially controlling the volume.

On a 2nd note in my 1st post, I said that being heavy handed on the control both in and out, and side to side was likely the cause on 99% of the problems here in the 1st place. Also that it would be the best to prevent the problem in the 1st place.

Last edited by jgscott; 08-12-22 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Sp
Riick (10-03-22)
Old 09-06-22, 06:20 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

If anyone wants new replacement ***** here is the part number and cheapest place to buy it:
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyo...FQUtPkE2ij-qRY
The following 2 users liked this post by peasodos:
909 (09-29-22), spineman (09-06-22)
Old 09-28-22, 08:12 PM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Just popped mine out with dental floss....Brilliant I say Thanks for the suggestion. I see previous owner used every pliers possible.
Old 09-29-22, 03:26 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Because of this forum, I do not turn off my radio at all. I will mute it if I do not want to hear anything. In a way, I wonder without using the on/off button on a regular basis, if that would possibly make this button more likely to stick. I am not risky enough to find out, but I appreciate BCLexus and of course Peasodos for always being helpful with solutions.
bclexus (09-29-22)
Old 09-29-22, 04:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

... (probably emotional) people that pound on or shove the **** too hard!....
She likes it like that.
bclexus (09-29-22)
Old 09-29-22, 06:02 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 909
She likes it like that.
Old 09-30-22, 10:28 AM
gaki
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Because of this forum, I do not turn off my radio at all. I will mute it if I do not want to hear anything. In a way, I wonder without using the on/off button on a regular basis, if that would possibly make this button more likely to stick. I am not risky enough to find out, but I appreciate BCLexus and of course Peasodos for always being helpful with solutions.
same here.

Although if it does get stuck, I'm tempted to swap everything over to a 2018+ unit haha
Old 09-30-22, 10:43 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Lol.... I have a 2015 F-sport @ 85K miles with ML, and I turn it on and off no problem, but I make sure to... press the button, /gently/ and my radio **** has been just fine.

Quick Reply: Stuck radio volume knob = $10,000 repair?