GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric tire - my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 02:45 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Goodyear F1 Asymmetric tire - my thoughts

So in a different post I chatted up my current experience on my plight for replacing the short-lived Bridgestone Potenza RE050a that comes equipped on most GSs (all?). Pardon the ramble.

One thing to note up front, there is/was a manufacturers earmark for the RE050 for sidewall cracking (which I had) but caught late in the tire life (around 24k+ miles). I did call Bridgestone and they gave me a claim number and a Tire Store to take it to for the judgement if they qualified for replacement. Knowing they wouldn't, I never followed up on it. So "schnooze you lose" applies, but for anyone interested, you give Bridgestone the lot number of the tires along with the model and sizes and then they give you the place and number provided they're part of those identified batches.

That said, the basic plight goes like this and I doubt I'm the only owner having gone through this.

I drive a 450h. It's a great car on potenzas despite what some opinions state. I've never had the car on the track so I couldn't tell you what max performance hammering translates to but I'd say it handles as good as any other (especially for something with heavy batteries, 4 doors, a little more HP than the GS350, and my golf clubs in the trunk 24/7). I don't notice road noise unless it is flagrant but I usually and always have some form of music happening. I notice rolling smoothness, alignment, how things handle bumps, and everything else applicable to city and highway driving in both metropolis and country driving. Think City of Virginia Beach to the Appalachian Mountains - so stop n go to windy mountain; long straightaways in between.

Because the 15' GS Fsport is a staggered setup, there is a limited selection of (matched) tires available for someone looking for better than 30k mile tires. I'm not a summer/winter setup guy so four-season tires completely apply. Start whittling down the selection(s) and what I found was that I could get the following in 235/40R19 & 265/35R19 combo with at least 30k mile manufacturer warranty: Michelin PS4 at Tread Quarters ($1,250, 30k warranty), Continental ExtremeContact at Tire Rack at ($930 - shipped but doesn't include installation fees, 30k warranty but tough to claim based on seller/installer difference), and Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics at Sam's Club ($1,190 after $80 discount, 45k warranty). Had the F1s put on a couple hours ago.

$15/tire installation charge, free stem core replacement, TMPS service if required. Back to any Sams as needed if there is any issues.

First, Sams did a fine job. The car was a little late into a bay, but took about 90 minutes to get finished. I watched the process from a distance and the tech was uber careful with each lug so as not to slap the lug journals or chip the rims. To my surprise, he even hand-torqued each lug when putting the tires back on. I just assumed that they wouldn't care this much about the tedious attention to detail stuff at Sams. Was wrong.

Anyways. Get my keys back and go do once of over the rims. A little dried tire slime from mounting, but no chips. Start the car and TPMS screen is lined out. After about 90 seconds the pressures clocked in. Drive home was noticeably smooth. Could easily tell the difference between newer pavement and older harsher pavement. Still tracks straight, road noise still hardly noticeable, no more bump shock than what I believed existed with the RE050. Got it home and trimmed the pressures to where I believe they should be when warm (40/41psi front/39-40 rear). Btw-it's sunny and 94* today. All in all, they drove great.

I'll report more as the weather changes and I put some miles on them. Going to work will put the highway into play and I'll hit em' harder later this week. My initial thought is they're perfect for this job which I believe is the same for the average GS owner. All season, performance tire with the longest mileage life I could find - and not $380+/tire.

More to follow

Sal

Last edited by MustangSal; 07-01-17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-01-17, 04:05 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Good to have another option.

Please post your opinion after 500+ miles.
I am interesting this set.
Thanks.
​​​​
Old 07-01-17, 05:27 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Longevite1
Please post your opinion after 500+ miles.
I am interesting this set.
Thanks.
​​​​
Planning in running this for a while with updates.
Old 07-18-17, 09:19 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

So. Some updates.

Pics-taken just after a wash so the rotors look awful.
Goodyear F1 Asymmetric tire - my thoughts-photo84.jpgGoodyear F1 Asymmetric tire - my thoughts-photo166.jpgGoodyear F1 Asymmetric tire - my thoughts-photo710.jpgGoodyear F1 Asymmetric tire - my thoughts-photo73.jpgGoodyear F1 Asymmetric tire - my thoughts-photo524.jpgGoodyear F1 Asymmetric tire - my thoughts-photo943.jpg

I've got about +1,000 miles on them now. I kept feeling a vibe early - like from the get go which seemed to go away after the tires heated up and pressure leveled out (which was about 37-38psi). Out of interest, I changed my dash display to show the tire pressure al the time. So early in the am, I was bottomed at 35-36 psi on all four tires. That is low. These tires feel their best when the running pressure is above 39/40. I think the sweet spot is right at 41/42. I upped the cold temp to 39 all the way around. Seems fine now. Next Lexus service I'll ask them to check balance to dial it in perfectly, but it all seems good for the moment.

I'd say road noise is comparable to the OEM Bridgestone RE050s. I didn't really notice the RE's and I don't really notice it on these and had to shut off the volume and actually listen for road noise. This is also directly related to what you're driving on. Rougher roads = distinctly more road noise. Fresh pavement was way way less - or hardly any at all. Medium asphalt, medium noticeable noise.

I can't tell a difference in dry or wet weather performance. There is a couple pretty good hairpin highway entrance/exits that are cambered in and out depending on which and have hit them at a pretty good clip (venturing towards unsafe). Not even a smidge of a skid or push. Hit them in both normal and sport+ and the car seemed fine. The steering wheel response difference between the two just made it a little more tight throughout in Sport+ mode.
Overall, I would say that these out-handle any punishment I'm going to try and push the car into.

I'd also say the fact that it's an all-season tire already puts the value higher than the Bridgestones (or any other summer-only, super high-performance tire that costs in upwards of $400/tire). Here in Virginia we do get snow and certainly other elements that these better suited for this application. The other plus is the 45k manufacturer warranty. There isn't another tire for the Fsport that I could find, in the 19" rim, and staggered - that could produce both sizes simultaneously with a 45k warranty and was cheaper than $1,200 installed. You can go unmatched and definitely compile a pretty good deal but it would be a smorgasbord of treads, wear-life, and looks and that just doesn't work for me. And these had the rim-saver lip...which has saved me once or twice so I'm definitely recommending them if you have the same needs. I'm sure they wouldn't make the same track times if you ran them out at Limerock but I'm never going to do that with this car so, yeah. These will do.

Sal

Last edited by MustangSal; 07-18-17 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 06:20 PM
DubbG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for sharing! I ended up putting Accelera PHI's on my 2015 GS F Sport last week. Seem to be doing just fine. Was about $800 after tax and out the door. Didn't notice a difference in road noise. I know I went the cheap route, but wanted to find out if its worth it or not.
Old 07-18-17, 07:10 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DubbG
Thank you for sharing! I ended up putting Accelera PHI's on my 2015 GS F Sport last week. Seem to be doing just fine. Was about $800 after tax and out the door. Didn't notice a difference in road noise. I know I went the cheap route, but wanted to find out if its worth it or not.
Never heard of them.