GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Normal Vs Sports Vs Eco Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 03:36 PM
GsGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an owner of a '14 GS with luxury option, I can definitely notice the difference between eco and sport modes. If you reaalllly want to have fun, slide the shifter over to M, the **** to Sport and use the paddles. It will wake up! I can only imagine how the F-Sport takes it up to another level.....
Old 07-19-17, 11:41 AM
L8Apex
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I own a 14 GS F-sport
During the first day or 2 of ownership I recall not feeling much of a change in the steering from Norm to Sport to Sport+. It was very slight. After driving the car in normal for about 3 days, I put the car back into Sport+ and drove 40 miles from home to work. This was exactly what I was looking for when I purchased this car. All of the changes in feel come together nicely, making it much more exciting to drive. It was most noticeable when I was coming off of a declining on-ramp at speed then merging to get left. The car was so well planted that I couldn't sense any body roll despite the quick in-turning while coming down a hill. The acceleration was crisp and the steering was firm. It all comes together so nicely. (I also have LDH, which is also only appreciated at speed in the corners)

So for me, I was not able to appreciate the technology when switching into sport+ for a short period of time on a highway, especially when already at speed. I find the acceleration in Sport + when over 70mph to be almost as flat as norm.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (03-01-20)
Old 07-20-17, 08:12 AM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

I commute in Eco which lets me average 22mpg mixed driving. I also use Eco when I have passengers as I find the acceleration pedal to be more smooth off the line.

I use normal for long road trips as I like the throttle response for merging and hills.

Of course, sport+ for back roads. I find the transmission too jumpy in sport+ for daily driving. I do appreciate it when the roads get twisty!

Overall, I love each mode as they each have their usefulness.
Old 07-02-19, 11:39 PM
pleasures
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a ne w RX 350 f Sport and I would like to apologized for this question related to the driving modes. I would like to put the driving mode to normal by pressing the button as instructed in the manual. However, I still see eco appearing on my dashboard and I see the letter D in the middle of the dashboard when I’m driving. Seeing these things... am I already on the normal driving mode? If not, how should it look like? Awaiting for some response please?
Old 07-03-19, 05:08 AM
LexinOnEm
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i stay in eco for daily driving, when even im on highway then its sport plus when in the mood. i never use normal or just sport. its either i go full sport plus or non at all.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-03-19 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 07:04 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by pleasures
I have a ne w RX 350 f Sport and I would like to apologized for this question related to the driving modes. I would like to put the driving mode to normal by pressing the button as instructed in the manual. However, I still see eco appearing on my dashboard and I see the letter D in the middle of the dashboard when I’m driving. Seeing these things... am I already on the normal driving mode? If not, how should it look like? Awaiting for some response please?
I would definitely pop into the section for your RX here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-models-9/ to confirm exactly how it works. But I will say, when in normal mode, your car will flash up the eco light when you are driving eco friendly. In that case, the eco should go away when you accelerate hard.
Old 07-03-19, 07:32 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

Drive Mode has an ECO setting that I refer to as Active Eco because you Act by turning the
**** and the car Acts differently. Selecting it illuminates a steady green ECO Mode light.

The (ambiguously) labeled Eco light that flashes on and off at seemingly random times is
what I call Passive Eco. Does not change the car but is designed to change you, the driver.
When you drive with a light foot for Economical or Ecological benefit you get a reward...the light!
This feature has been on most Lexi for years and remains on models with the newer Drive Mode control.

Eco mode and Sport mode display a small banner in the Driver Info Center, Normal has no such light.
The "D" you are seeing is simply indicating you are in Drive (or R for Reverse, P for Park).
If you draw the shifter toward you to the left the "D" will change to M4, Manual 4th gear. You may then
pull it back to downshift or push forward to upshift. Unlike a real manual transmission you can not
harm the car, if you attempt to downshift at too high a speed it will simply chime at you and not shift down.
Old 07-03-19, 07:50 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by pleasures
The Eco light can be disabled via the settings menu in the gauge cluster. It's there to coach you into driving more economically but is not indicative of being in Eco mode. If you press down on the drive mode selector, you're in Normal mode, even with the Eco indicator light.
Old 07-03-19, 08:01 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

ECO mode in the summer time sucks. It limits the AC so much it takes forever for the car to get cold.
Old 07-04-19, 12:39 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
ECO mode in the summer time sucks. It limits the AC so much it takes forever for the car to get cold.
i never really appreciated lexus AC (even in eco mode) until I started test driving hyundai/subaru/nissan cars for a recent gift card offer. Hyundai was by far the weakest and even on full blast never got cold the entire ride...
Old 07-04-19, 08:40 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Yes I have found that sport or sport+ is the best mode to quickly cool the car, guess Lexus figured if your in one of those moods you don't care about gas 😂.

The only other car's AC that is as strong as my GS is strangely enough the 2006 Honda I own. I can literally turn the interior into a freezer most days and it even handles the high heat well as long as you are generally moving. Don't know why maybe; I got a fluke car. I do leave the AC on in that car 100% of the time though, maybe that helped?
Old 07-04-19, 12:49 PM
silver4gs
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
Yes I have found that sport or sport+ is the best mode to quickly cool the car, guess Lexus figured if your in one of those moods you don't care about gas 😂.

The only other car's AC that is as strong as my GS is strangely enough the 2006 Honda I own. I can literally turn the interior into a freezer most days and it even handles the high heat well as long as you are generally moving. Don't know why maybe; I got a fluke car. I do leave the AC on in that car 100% of the time though, maybe that helped?
Your Honda is not a fluke. The AC on my 06 Accord is ice cold too. Never had any issues with it since it was new.
Old 07-04-19, 04:31 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Good on Honda for a well engineered HVAC system! I can literally cool drinks in my car 😂😂😂
Old 07-05-19, 06:39 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by silver4gs
Your Honda is not a fluke. The AC on my 06 Accord is ice cold too. Never had any issues with it since it was new.
It's not a fluke. The other AC units produced colder air, especially the ones that used the older refrigerant that was bad for the ozone layer. R134a is what we use now and it isn't as good as the older stuff. Also the newer HVAC units are designed to be more economical versus performance.

My old 2000 Camry was like a freezer and so was my buddy's old 2000ish Accord.
Old 07-06-19, 06:24 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Been using Sport or Sport+ almost exclusively. I’ve been getting a steady 24mpg with mixed driving, so don’t see a reason to neuter the car with eco mode. Power is always on tap and predictable. Car downshifts if I have to break suddenly. Everything feels like a car should in either of the two modes. Sport+ can get a bit rough on some roads. I just don’t see any reason to drive around with the car feeling like there’s an elephant on the roof. Not for an extra mpg, which is all I’ve ever clocked in eco mode.

Quick Reply: Normal Vs Sports Vs Eco Mode