GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-18, 04:25 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

LCF mules have already been spotted which will likely have a twin turbo V8, they could simply make a new GS with the LS' twin turbo v6 and it would be extremely competitive performance wise. Then use the new LCF engine in the F cars.
Old 08-11-18, 06:59 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
LCF mules have already been spotted which will likely have a twin turbo V8, they could simply make a new GS with the LS' twin turbo v6 and it would be extremely competitive performance wise. Then use the new LCF engine in the F cars.
might as well just stick that LFA engine into the lcf. At the cost they’re gonna list the lcf at theyll probably rarely move anyways
Old 08-13-18, 03:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I am no fan of turbo engines. But, you do realize that doing this would put it awfully close to a GSF in performance? Acceleration might also be a bit faster due to the boost. It would need to be retuned to allow for a big enough performance gap between the GS350, or whatever they call it, and the GSF. The numbers after the model designation actually mean nothing these days at Lexus and a lot of other car companies. An IS300 was actually called an IS200T, what it actually is, in 2017 but changed to an IS300 in 2018. Makes absolutely no sense to me. The new LS500 is not an LS500 at all, it's an LS350T in my mind

Lou
They can not hold back on new engines for the GS just for a rare GS version that does not sell, they could always add more power to the GS F if they give the GS the LS500 engine.
Old 08-13-18, 07:53 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
They can not hold back on new engines for the GS just for a rare GS version that does not sell, they could always add more power to the GS F if they give the GS the LS500 engine.
agree there
Old 08-14-18, 03:51 AM
HotRod2
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a new GS350 F While in the process of getting quotes from dealers in South FL I received the following in part of an email message from an Internet Sales Rep of a dealer. For 2019 Lexus will not be making a Gs however will make a 2019 ES Fsport! So if you would like to come in to do numbers this weekend we can find a car for you! I just want to be transparent with you ! The 2019 will arrive in November!
Old 08-14-18, 05:40 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRod2
I just bought a new GS350 F While in the process of getting quotes from dealers in South FL I received the following in part of an email message from an Internet Sales Rep of a dealer. For 2019 Lexus will not be making a Gs however will make a 2019 ES Fsport! So if you would like to come in to do numbers this weekend we can find a car for you! I just want to be transparent with you ! The 2019 will arrive in November!
Smh, thats basically what the dealership told me. The ES is still a front wheel drive car not RWD or even AWD unless I'm mistaken. What a bummer Lexus to discontinue the GS line-up.
Old 08-14-18, 05:48 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

November??? They just started rolling off the line in Georgetown. Shouldn't take 4 months to get from Kentucky to Florida. Stupid. (speaking of the ES)

Lol I did see, that wasn't sure why it would take so long to get to dealerships.

Last edited by bigblack06; 08-14-18 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 08:25 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Smh, thats basically what the dealership told me. The ES is still a front wheel drive car not RWD or even AWD unless I'm mistaken. What a bummer Lexus to discontinue the GS line-up.
They may just be skipping a year between GS generations and not killing it. Dealerships do not know more then we do if the model is being killed. In no way could a f sport ES take the place of a GS or be competitive against a 5 series or E class. It is still a very important segment, I just can not see Lexus killing the GS.

Last edited by UDel; 08-15-18 at 07:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ECL (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 08:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,618 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
They may just be skipping a year between GS generations and not killing it. Dealerships do not know more then we do if the model is being killed. In no way could a f sport ES take the place of a GS or be competitive against a 5 series or ES. It is still a very important segment, I just can not see Lexus killing the GS.
Agreed. The dealerships don't have details.

Yesterday I watched the Redline Review on Youtube of the new ES F Sport. You should have heard the front wheels squealing as they begged for traction to get the car moving. I like the new ES (a lot, actually) but it's no GS replacement. I hope Lexus realizes this.
Old 08-15-18, 09:38 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Many automakers are replacing RWD vehicles with FWD ones. An example is the Infiniti EX35/EX37/QX50. I loved to drive its last gen RWD version (haven't driven the current gen FWD). There are a number of advantages of FWD over RWD, such as lower weight, less space, better mpg, and probably less cost to manufacture. Audi has shown the world that good driving dynamics can be achieved in FWD vehicles (e.g. A6 is as good as GS in terms of driving dynamics). Now whether Lexus will be able to achieve GS-like driving dynamics with the new ES remains to be seen.
Old 08-15-18, 09:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,618 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Note that the A6 has good handling despite being FWD in part due to its longitudinally mounted engine and its AWD, two things the new ES does not have.
signdetres (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 10:45 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Well fingers crossed they didn't axe it as the GS is a great car and a little more of an enthusiast car vs the ES front wheel drive.

I just don’t see any possibility of Lexus abandoning the Executive midsize performance sedan segment. Worst case scenario Lexus will skip the 2019 MY of the GS like they did in 2012 and go straight to 2020 with the newly redesigned model. The ES will be a ES. Everything I watched and read about the 2019 ES says it’s better than the one it replaces, but it’s not a competitor to any of the German competition. I just hope Lexus redesigns the GS model lineup to be a 4 door coupé instead of the traditional 3 box design. My 4GS still satisfies me but, I’m getting a itch for more power for my daily driver and have been searching for used BMW 550i xdrives as of lately. The alternative optional would be for me to keep my GS350 AWD and spend $8k on RR racing’s 500hp supercharger kit and a front and rear big brake upgrade. I’m satisfied with most of things the GS does, power is adequate, but I wan’t V8 performance and AWD traction with a rearwheel power bias.

2 other indicator that Lexus isn’t replacing the GS with the ES are in their press material they describe the ES as a entry level premium sedan and they named its main competitors as the Infiniti Q50 and Acura TLX. Next they priced the ES350 at under $40k before destination fee. The price differential between that ES and the LS is $30k plus dollars. That’s a huge leap for someone who wants a car that’s a little bit more special and rare than the run of the mill ES that we all will see everywhere once it goes on sale. I know some of you will argue “optional packages will close that gap” and your right, but only by about $12-15k. The most expensive ES will mostly likely top out at $53-55k. I know Leuxs has some thing special up it’s sleeve I hope it favors the LC500 and has 4 doors. Fingers are crossed with checkbook in the other hand.
AJLex19 (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 11:17 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 400 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

I just don’t see any possibility of Lexus abandoning the Executive midsize performance sedan segment. Worst case scenario Lexus will skip the 2019 MY of the GS like they did in 2012 and go straight to 2020 with the newly redesigned model. The ES will be a ES. Everything I watched and read about the 2019 ES says it’s better than the one it replaces, but it’s not a competitor to any of the German competition. I just hope Lexus redesigns the GS model lineup to be a 4 door coupé instead of the traditional 3 box design. My 4GS still satisfies me but, I’m getting a itch for more power for my daily driver and have been searching for used BMW 550i xdrives as of lately. The alternative optional would be for me to keep my GS350 AWD and spend $8k on RR racing’s 500hp supercharger kit and a front and rear big brake upgrade. I’m satisfied with most of things the GS does, power is adequate, but I wan’t V8 performance and AWD traction with a rearwheel power bias.

2 other indicator that Lexus isn’t replacing the GS with the ES are in their press material they describe the ES as a entry level premium sedan and they named its main competitors as the Infiniti Q50 and Acura TLX. Next they priced the ES350 at under $40k before destination fee. The price differential between that ES and the LS is $30k plus dollars. That’s a huge leap for someone who wants a car that’s a little bit more special and rare than the run of the mill ES that we all will see everywhere once it goes on sale. I know some of you will argue “optional packages will close that gap” and your right, but only by about $12-15k. The most expensive ES will mostly likely top out at $53-55k. I know Leuxs has some thing special up it’s sleeve I hope it favors the LC500 and has 4 doors. Fingers are crossed with checkbook in the other hand.
RR Racing supercharger kit (stage II now I believe) does not make 500hp. You'll be lucky to clear 400 with it plus bolt on upgrades like catback exhaust, headers, high flow cats, and tune.

Last edited by np20412; 08-15-18 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-15-18, 11:41 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
RR Racing supercharger kit (stage II now I believe) does not make 500hp. You'll be lucky to clear 400 with it plus bolt on upgrades like catback exhaust, headers, high flow cats, and tune.
Thanks for detailed follow up on what RR racing is capable of, regardless if their kit only makes 500hp/490 at the crank or only 412 wheel hp it should definitely be a big improvement over the adequate performance from my mostly stock daily driver GS350 AWD. Keep in mind I won’t be doing and major exhaust mods any way as it’s my daily driver vehicle and I don’t want a loud car as my daily. One of my weekend monster happens to be a very loud 2014 C63 with 460whp. I love my GS, and I pray to replace it with 5th generation GS. But the modded GS are just ideas I throwing around in case the 5GS never sees the light of day.
Old 08-15-18, 12:03 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 400 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

Thanks for detailed follow up on what RR racing is capable of, regardless if their kit only makes 500hp/490 at the crank or only 412 wheel hp it should definitely be a big improvement over the adequate performance from my mostly stock daily driver GS350 AWD. Keep in mind I won’t be doing and major exhaust mods any way as it’s my daily driver vehicle and I don’t want a loud car as my daily. One of my weekend monster happens to be a very loud 2014 C63 with 460whp. I love my GS, and I pray to replace it with 5th generation GS. But the modded GS are just ideas I throwing around in case the 5GS never sees the light of day.
Gotcha, no worries. Just wasn't sure if you had a misconception of exactly how much power the kit will output. It is probably more than enough for a daily, but personally I'd probably opt out into a GS-F before dropping almost 10k worth of equipment to achieve similar performance out of the 350, but I realize you'd lose the AWD which may be a factor for you.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)