GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 08:10 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dougm213
If they do get rid of the GS and don't replace it with a comparable non existing model (I don't want an ES), I will look elsewhere.

I wouldn’t be too worried Lexus is giving up on the midsize luxury sedan market and replacing the GS name plate with the ES. Here’s why, I’ve watched and read a ton of Lexus College and other corporate media video and literature distributed to journalist around the world. Every time they describe or introduce the 2019 ES they are very specific to refer to it as the brands new entry Level premium sedan. Don’t believe me, check this video from the 2019 ES international press drive event which took place in Nashville. The head honcho Lexus USA Marketing Exec over the 2019 ES launch calls it their new entry level sedan twice right around 4 mins and 4:47.
I’ve seen it called entry level by other corporate Lexus USA personnel too. In the presentation at 6:33 they call out 4 of what they feel will be the 2019 ES main competitors! Audi A4, MB C-class, Acura TLX, BMW 3 series.

Now if Lexus was truly planning to discontinue the GS line as some of you have been lead to believe, they wouldn’t be labeling the 2019 ES which is alleged by some to be its worthy front wheel drive replacement a “Entry Level Sedan”.

The ES has always played the role as a bottom feeder entry level sedan into the premium car segment. It’s a nice car, but it’s never been compared to the E-class or A6 or any other similar sized sedan from Europe. In fact Lexus is very careful who they loan cars to for media comparison test, many manufacturers want to know what vehicles a journalist plans to compare their automobile to before they let you drive off with it. Lexus hasn’t ever alowed the ES to be compared to E-class or any other midsize luxury sedan that is rear wheel drive bias. They know that the ES would by default be named the worst car of the group comparison. Rolls Royce wouldn’t even loan Motor Trend a Ghost to be compared to the Mercedes S-Class Maybach because they felt the S-class Maybach wasn’t competition to their 7 series based luxo-barge. Ferrari wouldn’t loan a LaFerrari to Top Gear to compare to the P1 and 918 Spyder because they were afraid it might lose and look inferior to the competition.

All I’m saying is if Lexus is making the 2019 ES the GS replacement why aren’t they calling it a midsize luxury car? Why name it a entry level sedan in all their press kits and power point presentations.

I don’t think the GS name is going away, it’s been around since 1993, Lexus has so much equity built into the GS nameplate they would be a fool to drop it just because it’s not selling as well as the E-class. Now what makes more sense is for them to throw every technology and performance feature at the GS and wrap it in sexiest sheet metal we’ve ever seen come out of Japan and basically reinvent the meaning of midsize luxury car for brand.

I rest my case.

Last edited by highrev6; 08-23-18 at 09:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by highrev6:
AJLex19 (08-23-18), sam430 (09-25-18), signdetres (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 08:24 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

I wouldn’t be too worried Lexus is giving up on the midsize luxury sedan market and replacing the GS name plate with the ES. Here’s why, I’ve watched and read a ton of Lexus College and other corporate media video and literature distributed to journalist around the world. Every time they describe or introduce the 2019 ES they are very specific to refer to it as the brands new entry Level premium sedan. Don’t believe me, check this video from the 2019 ES international press drive event which took place in Nashville. The head honcho Lexus USA Marketing Exec over the 2019 ES launch calls it their new entry level sedan twice right around 4 mins and 4:47. https://youtu.be/BtxQ6CLTGV8 I’ve seen it called entry by other corporate Lexus USA personnel too.

Now if Lexus was truly planning to discontinue the GS line as some of you have been lead to believe, they wouldn’t be labeling the 2019 ES which is alleged by some to be its worthy front wheel drive replacement a “Entry Level Sedan”.

The ES has always played the role as a bottom feeder entry level sedan into the premium car segment. It’s a nice car, but it’s never been compared to the E-class or A6 or any other similar sized sedan from Europe. In fact Lexus is very careful who they loan cars to for media comparison test, many manufacturers want to know what vehicles a journalist plans to compare their automobile to before they let you drive off with it. Lexus hasn’t ever alowed the ES to be compared to E-class or any other midsize luxury sedan that is rear wheel drive bias. They know that the ES would by default be named the worst car of the group comparison. Rolls Royce wouldn’t even loan Motor Trend a Ghost to be compared to the Mercedes S-Class Maybach because they felt the S-class Maybach wasn’t competition to their 7 series based luxo-barge. Ferrari wouldn’t loan a LaFerrari to Top Gear to compare to the P1 and 918 Spyder because they were afraid it might lose and look inferior to the competition.

All I’m saying is if Lexus is making the 2019 ES the GS replacement why aren’t they calling it a midsize luxury car? Why name it a entry level sedan in all their press kits and power point presentation.

I don’t think the GS name is going away, it’s been around since 1993, Lexus has so much equity built into the GS nameplate they would be a fool to drop it just because it’s not selling as well as the E-class. Now what makes more since is for them to throw every technology and performance feature at the GS and wrap it in sexiest sheet metal we’ve ever seen come out of Japan and basically reinvent the meaning of midsize luxury car for brand.

I rest my case.
This was the most beautiful and perfect thing I've ever read on this site.
The following users liked this post:
highrev6 (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 08:29 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

4 of the 2019 Lexus ES main competitors according to Lexus USA
Old 08-23-18, 08:48 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,155 Likes on 852 Posts

If the ES competes against the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Benz C class, what does the IS compete against? The segments are confusing!

To me, I agree the ES competes against the Acura RLX but would argue it doesn't compete against the 3 series/A4/C-Class and instead goes up against the Lincoln MKZ, Genesis G80, Buick Lacrosse...maybe even throw in a Maxima and a Caddy ATS. Seems out of place to throw in the German nameplates that the IS seemingly compete against here...
Old 08-23-18, 08:59 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJLex19
If the ES competes against the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Benz C class, what does the IS compete against? The segments are confusing!

To me, I agree the ES competes against the Acura RLX but would argue it doesn't compete against the 3 series/A4/C-Class and instead goes up against the Lincoln MKZ, Genesis G80, Buick Lacrosse...maybe even throw in a Maxima and a Caddy ATS. Seems out of place to throw in the German nameplates that the IS seemingly compete against here...

I agree, the ES’s definitely competes very well against the MKZ, Lacrosse, and Acura RLX and even Toyota’s own Avalon. But at the end of the day all of these cars are deemed entry level or near luxury sedans. With the exception being the RLX which is the Acura brands flagship. The ES is kinda in a class of its own. People who shop for the IS and C-class will simply find the 195.0 inch long 2019 ES too long. It’s a nearly full-size sedan priced to compete with entry level premium cars. Lexus makes things very confusing. I had to clear the air, with all these rumors swirling.

Last edited by highrev6; 08-23-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 10:35 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

I wouldn’t be too worried Lexus is giving up on the midsize luxury sedan market and replacing the GS name plate with the ES. Here’s why, I’ve watched and read a ton of Lexus College and other corporate media video and literature distributed to journalist around the world. Every time they describe or introduce the 2019 ES they are very specific to refer to it as the brands new entry Level premium sedan. Don’t believe me, check this video from the 2019 ES international press drive event which took place in Nashville. The head honcho Lexus USA Marketing Exec over the 2019 ES launch calls it their new entry level sedan twice right around 4 mins and 4:47. https://youtu.be/BtxQ6CLTGV8 I’ve seen it called entry level by other corporate Lexus USA personnel too. In the presentation at 6:33 they call out 4 of what they feel will be the 2019 ES main competitors! Audi A4, MB C-class, Acura TLX, BMW 3 series.

All I’m saying is if Lexus is making the 2019 ES the GS replacement why aren’t they calling it a midsize luxury car? Why name it a entry level sedan in all their press kits and power point presentations.

I don’t think the GS name is going away, it’s been around since 1993, Lexus has so much equity built into the GS nameplate they would be a fool to drop it just because it’s not selling as well as the E-class. Now what makes more sense is for them to throw every technology and performance feature at the GS and wrap it in sexiest sheet metal we’ve ever seen come out of Japan and basically reinvent the meaning of midsize luxury car for brand.

I rest my case.
If I was going to place bets there's a "dead year" for the GS ahead where they skip a year and then reintroduce something next fall.... so while it will die, it's not for long...

-Mike
Old 08-23-18, 10:40 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

4 of the 2019 Lexus ES main competitors according to Lexus USA
If Lexus really thinks that, there smokin' some bad stuff Acura is it. The others, no way

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 08-23-18 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-23-18, 10:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
Have a link by chance?
Better scanned copy here:

My issue just came today.

Lou
Old 08-23-18, 10:58 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I wonder if the 450h resale value will go up since they are rare and lexus is discontinuing it.
Old 08-24-18, 10:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,147 Likes on 1,537 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
If I was going to place bets there's a "dead year" for the GS ahead where they skip a year and then reintroduce something next fall.... so while it will die, it's not for long...

-Mike
I agree! That's what I think will happen too...
Old 08-24-18, 10:14 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Guy at my Lexus dealership said they/Lexus told him they are killing the GS and this was it, the ES is replacing it. I still can't believe they would kill the GS, way too important of a segment and in no way could the new ES get GS buyers or 5 series/E class/A6 buyers. I think there will just be some extra time between generations or they may possibly call the car that slots in the GS segment another name which may or may not be a good idea.
Old 08-24-18, 01:38 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I suspect there will be 1 or 2 dead years, and then the GS will come back as an electric vehicle EV...
Old 08-24-18, 02:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I suspect there will be 1 or 2 dead years, and then the GS will come back as an electric vehicle EV...
That will ensure its total failure.
Old 08-24-18, 03:22 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
That will ensure its total failure.
Many people said similar when digital cameras were first introduced in the late 1990's.
Old 08-24-18, 03:29 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I too think so. It is difficult for traditional vehicles to match the performance and simplicity of EVs. And their cost will go down as they are more mass produced. One can fathom the demand for EVs by the rate Teslas are selling. Tesla is manufacturing 5,000 Model 3's priced at around $50k every week to cope with the demand while Lexus is having a hard time selling 10,000 GS's priced at $40k-$60k (after factoring in incentives and haggling) in a year.

Last edited by bb700092; 08-24-18 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)