GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 06:25 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
The fact is, the GS just doesn't sell well. Lexus will not miss any of you. They have too many sedans and something has to give.

What are you talking about Lexus won’t miss any of us?

You obviously don’t understand the importance of consumer brand ambassadorship. Why do you think Ford required potential GT owners to have a social media following and they requested that the owners take the GT out and drive them to car shows. Ford understands the power of social media and loyal consumer brand ambassadors. Lexus is no different they lost money on every LFA they sold, but it was important to the brands sporty image to pursue the development of the LFA.

The same can be said for GS and RC. They may not sell 50k copies a year, But when you see one it will turn more heads than the sea of boring ES’s driving the highways everyday. I get compliments from onlookers all the time when filing the tank of my GS up at the local shell station. I can’t recollect once that I ever got a complement when I pushed a very clean Lexus ES.

Have you ever counted how many 4 door sedans-esque cars it’s competitors make ? Let’s count them!

(6)Mercedes A-class, CLA-class, C-class, E-class, CLS-class, S-class

(7)BMW 1 series, 2 series gran coupé, 3 series, 4 series gran coupé, 5 series, 6 series gran coupé, 7 series

(6)Audi A3, A4, A5 Sportback, A6, A7, A8

Lexus makes 4 distinct sedans and your saying they make too many sedans?

I have to ask you what is your definition of selling well?

The GS sells just fine. Over its 25 year lifespan it has averaged about 15k copies in the US a year. The CLS, 6 seres GC, A7, Jaguar XF all sell far less copies per year and no one is ranting about the cancellation of those sedans,

I can’t understand why other automakers are allowed to go about their daily business with niché market vehicles, but if Lexus does it, it’s a problem.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 07:20 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

What’s stupid is golden opportunity event is the even that’s suppose to clear out old inventory with the best deals on old MY but after this disappointing event this year they added an additional 1.5k to bump up lease cash to 5.5k for the 2018 this month
Old 09-06-18, 08:37 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 665 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

What are you talking about Lexus won’t miss any of us?

You obviously don’t understand the importance of consumer brand ambassadorship. Why do you think Ford required potential GT owners to have a social media following and they requested that the owners take the GT out and drive them to car shows. Ford understands the power of social media and loyal consumer brand ambassadors. Lexus is no different they lost money on every LFA they sold, but it was important to the brands sporty image to pursue the development of the LFA.

The same can be said for GS and RC. They may not sell 50k copies a year, But when you see one it will turn more heads than the sea of boring ES’s driving the highways everyday. I get compliments from onlookers all the time when filing the tank of my GS up at the local shell station. I can’t recollect once that I ever got a complement when I pushed a very clean Lexus ES.

Have you ever counted how many 4 door sedans-esque cars it’s competitors make ? Let’s count them!

(6)Mercedes A-class, CLA-class, C-class, E-class, CLS-class, S-class

(7)BMW 1 series, 2 series gran coupé, 3 series, 4 series gran coupé, 5 series, 6 series gran coupé, 7 series

(6)Audi A3, A4, A5 Sportback, A6, A7, A8

Lexus makes 4 distinct sedans and your saying they make too many sedans?

I have to ask you what is your definition of selling well?

The GS sells just fine. Over its 25 year lifespan it has averaged about 15k copies in the US a year. The CLS, 6 seres GC, A7, Jaguar XF all sell far less copies per year and no one is ranting about the cancellation of those sedans,

I can’t understand why other automakers are allowed to go about their daily business with niché market vehicles, but if Lexus does it, it’s a problem.
They are averaging ~625 sales a month in the US over the past 20 months.
The GS is not bringing people into the dealerships, maybe the GSF.
It's a public company, they react to shareholder value.
Cars are not selling as well as SUV's (see above).
They don't care what you think.

Old 09-06-18, 08:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Many people said similar when digital cameras were first introduced in the late 1990's.
Totally different comparison. EV's offer very little advantages over IC cars other then making greenies/stupid politicians think they are saving the world/taxbreaks, they do have many disadvantages over IC cars especially when it comes to range, cost, weight, complexity, way temp/hard use effects them and the mileage they get, etc.

Digital Camera's mainly offered advantages over film and were eventually cheaper to buy and much cheaper and more convenient to use, it was mostly film enthusiasts/snobs that did not like digital because they think film is superior when it comes to the details, your analogy would apply more to manual cars vs automatics/DSG's.
Old 09-06-18, 08:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If all Lexus cared about was sales then they would get rid of the RC, LC, LX, and LS as they don't sell in big numbers either even when they are newer models, should they also dump them for CUV's. The GS has its buyers and fans which are in the hundreds of thousands. There are ways to fix the GS if they want better sales, some of which is very easy like pricing instead of just killing it. The LX and GX are not huge sellers for Lexus either now.
highrev6 (09-06-18)
Old 09-06-18, 09:00 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,165 Likes on 860 Posts

At least for now, we know that there is a 2019 GS so anyone who was looking to get into a lease or buy a new GS can still do that. If I was in the market for a midsized sport-sedan, the aging 4GS would still be at the top of my list. Next year will be a very revealing year when it comes to the public announcements from Toyota/Lexus about the lineup.
Old 09-06-18, 10:18 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

The GS is nearing the end of its “planned 7 year lifecycle”. Sales always drop when a car gets this old. If you don’t believe me look at the sales of the equally old Audi A6 and A7. The A6 is only beating the GS by 300 units for the year. The A7 is doing even worst with only 1800 units for the year. The slightly newer CTS which debuted in ‘14 is tied with the 4GS at about 5k units this year. Audi has confirmed it’s debuting a new A6 & A7 in the spring. It is expected the CTS will get a replacement too. I’m quite sure the sales would jump significantly once these sedans get their respective replacements, the same can be said for the 5GS when it’s turn comes.

The GS and GSF are the same vehicle with the obvious point being the F has a large V8 engine. But both are old cars 7 and 4 years old. I’m sure no one is going to a Audi dealer to check out their 8 year old A6 and A7. My point is the same could be said for many vehicles that are over 5 years into their lifecycle. It doesn’t change the fact that the GS has a very large diehard and outspoken fan base.

Please explain to us what shareholder value has to do with a large corporation like GM or Toyota decisions to launch new and improved vehicles. (Corporations react the consumer demands.)

Yes I agree cars aren’t selling as well as trucks and SUV’s. That mostly has to do with consumer trends which come and go. At one time coupes held majority stake, then station wagons had their turn, sedans and now SUV’s. Doesn’t mean you stop producing your core performance models that showcase the companies engineering prowess just because they’ve taken a back seat in sales to a newer emerging vehicle segment.

And you seriously stumped me here, I had to go back and check my post x2 to see what you were referring to. Couldn’t find the slightest inclination of myself saying Toyota cares about what I think, Please explain where I ever stated Lexus/Toyota cares what I think?

Last edited by highrev6; 09-07-18 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-06-18, 01:22 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Are sedans really not selling as well as SUVs?

Tesla Model 3 outsells entire BMW car lineup in August (ref. https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/06/...mw-car-lineup/ )

Tesla is selling every Model 3 it can screw together. Astonishingly, it's selling so many of them that the Model 3 outsold every BMW passenger car combined. We should note that BMW still leads if you include SUV sales, but beating the Germans at passenger cars is no small feat.

Here's the number breakdown: BMW sold 14,450 passenger cars in the U.S. market in August. This number includes sales from compact crossovers like the X1 and X2 as well. That's a 13.5 percent decrease in car sales from August 2017. Car sales tracking site GoodCarBadCar lists Model 3 sales at 20,450 for the month of August. However, that's only an estimate because Tesla doesn't report official sales numbers. Other news outlets have estimated figures in the 17,000 range. And Bloomberg's Tesla Tracker site puts the current production level of the Model 3 at 4,800 cars per week. But any of the estimates are safely above BMW's exact figure. The BMW 3 Series (the Model 3's direct competitor) sold only 3,751 cars in August.

Lexus led the luxury vehicle segment, but its big winners were crossovers. From the start of the year, BMW is up compared to 2017 because of its SUVs as well. Tesla certainly isn't experiencing the same drop in car interest after this surprising month of sales. As for the BMW i3, it sold all of 418 cars last month. The company's only pure EV will be eclipsed by the new generation of electrics that BMW has in the works.

Selling this many Model 3s isn't particularly surprising given the 420,000 reservations remaining as of July. It's unlikely that all those turn into orders, but it explains why sales are so ludicrous at the moment. And In a week when the Mercedes EQC electric crossoverwas revealed and BMW is almost ready to show its Vision iNext concept, Tesla is starting to hear hoofbeats from competitors and needs to sell Model 3s as fast as it can.
So there is still a market for the GS if Lexus can deliver what the customer wants like Tesla is doing.
Old 09-06-18, 08:21 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by bb700092
Tesla Model 3 outsells entire BMW car lineup in August (ref. https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/06/...mw-car-lineup/ )

So there is still a market for the GS if Lexus can deliver what the customer wants like Tesla is doing.
Tesla isn’t really delivering anything. It’s a bunch of people jumping on a hype train hoping the company doesn’t fold cause they can’t get their manufacturing issues fix. Musk is a great visionary but implementation sucks. He’s not a good hands on person which is why he lives at the factory trying to fix his mistakes. Article also states those numbers are estimates cause Tesla doesn’t report their numbers. If they were that good then I’d be showing them off to prove to the world this car is breaking the car industry but it isn’t. The Tesla store by me has a ton of inventory but they aren’t moving because of the lack of superchargers and the “35k” ev car is actually 60k minimum.

Last edited by baconRx; 09-06-18 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 04:39 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baconRx

Tesla isn’t really delivering anything. It’s a bunch of people jumping on a hype train hoping the company doesn’t fold cause they can’t get their manufacturing issues fix. Musk is a great visionary but implementation sucks. He’s not a good hands on person which is why he lives at the factory trying to fix his mistakes. Article also states those numbers are estimates cause Tesla doesn’t report their numbers. If they were that good then I’d be showing them off to prove to the world this car is breaking the car industry but it isn’t. The Tesla store by me has a ton of inventory but they aren’t moving because of the lack of superchargers and the “35k” ev car is actually 60k minimum.

What really sucks is an outsider to the automotive industry (Elon Musk) is developing products that the insiders (CEOs of the world's largest automakers like Toyota, Ford, GM, VW, etc.) cannot even think of. The insiders are at least 10 years behind this outsider. In 2012, Tesla started selling the Model S which was not their first EV (ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Tesla_Inc. ). The only other highly sold EV is Nissan Leaf but it is still way behind Tesla products in terms of technology. The most astonishing fact is that the Model 3's that are being sold are in the $50k range. The other vehicles that are sold as highly as Model 3 (e.g. F-150, Camry, Rogue, Leaf) are less than $30k. Selling so many of such a high priced vehicle has been unthinkable before Tesla.

Here is another news article for your reading pleasure: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tesla-sem...010134839.html
Old 09-08-18, 08:59 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Originally Posted by bb700092
What really sucks is an outsider to the automotive industry (Elon Musk) is developing products that the insiders (CEOs of the world's largest automakers like Toyota, Ford, GM, VW, etc.) cannot even think of. The insiders are at least 10 years behind this outsider. In 2012, Tesla started selling the Model S which was not their first EV (ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Tesla_Inc. ). The only other highly sold EV is Nissan Leaf but it is still way behind Tesla products in terms of technology. The most astonishing fact is that the Model 3's that are being sold are in the $50k range. The other vehicles that are sold as highly as Model 3 (e.g. F-150, Camry, Rogue, Leaf) are less than $30k. Selling so many of such a high priced vehicle has been unthinkable before Tesla.

Here is another news article for your reading pleasure: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tesla-sem...010134839.html
it’s easy to be a visionary but implementation is another story. The first roadster didn’t take off because the tech wasn’t there yet. The current models work because they are more family friendly and charging infrastructure for ev has come a long way. Cheaper batteries also help but cost still sucks. Do they sell a lot more? Yes but they haven’t become profitable yet. There’s a reason they don’t release their sales numbers. Just like how Apple doesn’t release their Apple Watch numbers. They’re not great.

Toyota was first to the market with the hybrid tech and they have complete ev available but it doesn’t take off because it doesn’t have the blistering stats that the Tesla has because it increases costs and stress on the car so not ideal for widespread implementation. Have they failed in some implementations of the hybrid? Yea I’d say the gs is an example. If they could’ve stepped up the performance and mpg it would have been better but premium wasn’t worth it and I feel it increased the cost of the gsf because there had to be a premium on the top spec gs which was the gs450h
Old 09-09-18, 10:35 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baconRx

it’s easy to be a visionary but implementation is another story. The first roadster didn’t take off because the tech wasn’t there yet. The current models work because they are more family friendly and charging infrastructure for ev has come a long way. Cheaper batteries also help but cost still sucks. Do they sell a lot more? Yes but they haven’t become profitable yet. There’s a reason they don’t release their sales numbers. Just like how Apple doesn’t release their Apple Watch numbers. They’re not great.

Toyota was first to the market with the hybrid tech and they have complete ev available but it doesn’t take off because it doesn’t have the blistering stats that the Tesla has because it increases costs and stress on the car so not ideal for widespread implementation. Have they failed in some implementations of the hybrid? Yea I’d say the gs is an example. If they could’ve stepped up the performance and mpg it would have been better but premium wasn’t worth it and I feel it increased the cost of the gsf because there had to be a premium on the top spec gs which was the gs450h
It is not easy to be a visionary. If it was, then everyone would have been one. See my post in another thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10300590

Toyota did a great job with their hybrid technology. They were the first and the leader for a number of years. The other manufacturers followed Toyota. But the same cannot be said of Toyota's EV technology. At this point, they are just trying to catch up after Musk/Tesla has clearly shown the world the potential of EVs and that there exists a huge market for EVs.
Old 09-09-18, 02:28 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Musk/Tesla/SpaceX would be nothing without the billions of dollars of government subsidies, plain and simple. He's basically untouchable at this point. Doesn't matter if he fails, comes in over budget, behind schedule. He's essential y our government's golden child.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...531-story.html
The "real" automakers have to be concerned with losses and can't keep getting cash for miserable failures. Visionary? Hardly. Probably one the biggest running scams of our time. One of the most unreliable cars of our time, but owner satisfaction is off the charts. People are so impressed with that big iPad in the dash, it's not even funny. 0 - 60 times are nothing for electric motors. We stripped down a CRX back in the 90s when in college and outfitted with as may deep cycle batteries as we could, hand built an electric motor for it and clocked ludicrous times just like the Tesla. Battery and charging technology was primitive, so that's as far as we got. Thanks to laptop/phone technology driving the need for longer battery live and shorter charging, Musk actually can deliver something that resembles progress and keeps the funds coming. How much better could a real car company like Toyota do, if they didn't have to worry about lost revenue?

Don't even get me started on SpaceX!
Old 09-09-18, 03:04 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,165 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Musk/Tesla/SpaceX would be nothing without the billions of dollars of government subsidies, plain and simple. He's basically untouchable at this point. Doesn't matter if he fails, comes in over budget, behind schedule. He's essential y our government's golden child.
The "real" automakers have to be concerned with losses and can't keep getting cash for miserable failures. Visionary? Hardly. Probably one the biggest running scams of our time. One of the most unreliable cars of our time, but owner satisfaction is off the charts. People are so impressed with that big iPad in the dash, it's not even funny. 0 - 60 times are nothing for electric motors. We stripped down a CRX back in the 90s when in college and outfitted with as may deep cycle batteries as we could, hand built an electric motor for it and clocked ludicrous times just like the Tesla. Battery and charging technology was primitive, so that's as far as we got. Thanks to laptop/phone technology driving the need for longer battery live and shorter charging, Musk actually can deliver something that resembles progress and keeps the funds coming. How much better could a real car company like Toyota do, if they didn't have to worry about lost revenue?

It would be awesome if a company like Toyota used the 5GS as a platform for an electric car that could compete in this segment. However, I know that owner usability is a concern and the overall infrastructure just doesn't exist for Toyota to feel comfortable with this move.
Old 09-09-18, 07:05 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rj4510

Not too long ago, GM and Chrysler also got billions of dollars of government subsidies. What have they done worth talking about?

Have you published, patented or sold in the open market any of the things that you claim to have done? I would love to see a reference.
Im2bz2p345 (09-10-18)

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)