GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 12:06 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 546 Likes on 397 Posts

All opinion I guess. If I hated the wheels on a car I probably wouldn't buy it.
Old 12-10-18, 01:20 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

To each their own. I see both sets of wheels side-by-side every day. I love the newer wheels and feel like they complement the newer GS well.

Old 12-10-18, 02:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Very similar to the wheel on the upcoming Supra

Lou
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 03:16 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

I think the wheels also look particularly good while on the move:

Old 12-10-18, 05:39 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 546 Likes on 397 Posts

I'm with you Signdetres! Awesome shots of yours!
signdetres (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 06:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Does anyone here honestly believe that GS sales have slowed because of the wheels? Really? Not because of shrinking sedan demand? Not because the GS in its current form has been out since 2012?
Old 12-10-18, 09:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,356 Posts

^^^^Of course that statement was beyond silly

Lou
Old 12-10-18, 11:43 PM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Does anyone here honestly believe that GS sales have slowed because of the wheels? Really? Not because of shrinking sedan demand? Not because the GS in its current form has been out since 2012?
but of course.. it is obvious... as obvious as most speculation on this thread I like the wheels on the prefacelift a 100times more. The wheels post facelift oozes"toyota" for me... They detract from the "executive feel" the car actually stands for. I would change them on the showroom floor. With the prefacelift there is no after market wheels that look as good on the car.. my opinion of course..
Old 12-11-18, 02:19 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I really wish they'd make a touring wagon, the sedan just doesn't make sense and I'll never own an SUV.
Old 12-11-18, 03:32 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
I really wish they'd make a touring wagon, the sedan just doesn't make sense and I'll never own an SUV.
you know. the hype is not all it makes out to be... The GS has one of the biggest trunks in the business (bigger then the new ES). Bigger than an RX. It is nowhere near as noisy as a RX and more comfortable seats added to that it is lighter on fuel... Only that you sit higher in the RX...
Old 12-11-18, 03:50 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtkotze
you know. the hype is not all it makes out to be... The GS has one of the biggest trunks in the business (bigger then the new ES). Bigger than an RX. It is nowhere near as noisy as a RX and more comfortable seats added to that it is lighter on fuel... Only that you sit higher in the RX...
I'm not interested in SUVs either... The GS boot's practicality is limited bexause it's low, albeit rather deep and the seats don't go down. I couldn't get my dropsaw in the car, I had to borrow my wife's small hatchback. Having owned a full sized wagon before buying the GS I'm having to hire utes to move things around, although owning the GS is well worth the occasional inconvenience.
Just saying, a GS wagon would be the best of all worlds. Low, sleek and insanely practical.
Old 12-11-18, 06:14 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Good to see I’m not the odd man out as I thought. We’ve had SUVs for a while, but because we can’t find decent wagons, except maybe the Outback. To me they are the ideal vehicle. When we were in Japan last summer, I was amazed at how many cool wagons there were. Tons and tons of vans too, but not like you see in the states. There were anything from micro vans like the Scion toaster, but with an extra row of seats to maxi vans way, way bigger than the Toyota Sienna. Some with TRD or some other sports package. Many of them with tiny donut wheels, so no wheel wells protruding into the cabin. Very few if anything “rolling on 20s+.” Don’t recall seeing a Lexus wagon, but VW, Audi, Benz, BMW all had their standard series in wagons represented. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Suzuki, etc., all had cool wagons we never see in the US. don’t recall seeing Civics or Accords, but these cool looking in some cases futuristic wagons and hatchbacks.

Not it everything is micro sized like were told, they have Toyota Tundras, full sized dump trucks and other large vehicles like busses, etc. running around too, so it isn’t as though they couldn’t get something like that down the street. Parking is an issue, but again, a wagon can take as much room to park as an SUV. There’s just no stigma with wagons apparently. Interestingly, there’s plenty of stigma with vans, but we have plenty of those. I personally wish we could get half of those vehicles here. I’m also a drummer and need to get a full set of drums and equipment to gigs now and then. Trips to Home Depot also justify a bit more vertical loading space that can’t be accommodated by a sedan. Even the micro vans in Japan would haul more than a sedan could, but unless were rolling on monster tires, or monster rims with rubber band tires, we’re not cool, so I guess SUVs are it.
Old 12-11-18, 06:47 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtkotze
...The GS has one of the biggest trunks in the business (bigger then the new ES). Bigger than an RX...
Wait, what?
Old 12-11-18, 08:59 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

What's killing the GS is the ES, this is the same as the 6 Series BMW and CLS Mercedes, I don't see that many on the road vs. the 5 Series and E Class.

This is the hierarchy: Not comparing price but this is how the market sees it.

BMW 2 Series = Lexus CT = Mercedes CLA Class (Entry level) but the CT is already dead
BMW 3 Series = Lexus IS = Mercedes C Class
BMW 5 Series = Lexus ES = Mercedes E Class
BMW 6 Series = Lexus GS = Mercedes CLS Class (Slowest selling of all)
BMW 7 Series = Lexus LS = Mercedes S Class (Flagship model)

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 12-11-18 at 09:05 AM.
signdetres (12-11-18)
Old 12-11-18, 10:03 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
What's killing the GS is the ES, this is the same as the 6 Series BMW and CLS Mercedes, I don't see that many on the road vs. the 5 Series and E Class.

This is the hierarchy: Not comparing price but this is how the market sees it.

BMW 2 Series = Lexus CT = Mercedes CLA Class (Entry level) but the CT is already dead
BMW 3 Series = Lexus IS = Mercedes C Class
BMW 5 Series = Lexus ES = Mercedes E Class
BMW 6 Series = Lexus GS = Mercedes CLS Class (Slowest selling of all)
BMW 7 Series = Lexus LS = Mercedes S Class (Flagship model)
This is very accurate. Unfortunately, its all perception and misconception when it comes to the ES being on par with the 5 series and E class but thats what the average consumer sees. I can see that Lexus tried to move the vehicle somewhat upmarket with the price point and some new options/tech. As I mentioned in a previous post, the 2019 F Sport ES at my local dealership's showroom was around 55K with a lot of options.

I'd never pay that price for an ES - i'd much rather a GS...but I represent the minority! Sales rules all - as SUVs continue to get car-like gas mileage and command only a slight premium over a sedan, maybe even the ES will be in trouble a few years from now when everyone buys a UX or NX or RX instead of a 40-55k ES sedan...

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)