GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 10:26 AM
eleventySF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be sad to see the GS go because I love mine, but the showroom/first impression 'wow' factor doesn't compare to the European rivals. The E class, 5 series and A6 all have more advanced tech and give off the impression of greater luxury, and the GS' strengths lie in its reliability and construction (also more engaging to drive but a lot of people don't care about that). When leasing, as a lot of consumers in this midsize luxury segment tend to do, the reliability doesn't really come into play that much, so you're left with a funnier looking car that doesn't appeal to the emotions as much. This is not to mention the ES which does essentially the same thing as the GS for 90% of buyers at a significantly lower cost. I'm hoping that the reputation for quality will eventually outweigh the prestige of the European brands, but that's hard to overcome.
Old 12-11-18, 10:37 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
What's killing the GS is the ES, this is the same as the 6 Series BMW and CLS Mercedes, I don't see that many on the road vs. the 5 Series and E Class.
BMW 5 Series = Lexus ES = Mercedes E Class
BMW 6 Series = Lexus GS = Mercedes CLS Class (Slowest selling of all)
=
Perception? Perhaps, But you lost me here. I don't think people are comparing a FWD drive ES to an RWD 5 Series when cross shopping. The ES doesn't compete with any of these German rivals. The ES goes up against more of the likes to Acura RLX, Buick LaCrosse, Kia Cadenza, Lincoln MKZ and Volvo S90.

I'd say if the new ES offered a AWD version it will no doubt kill off the GS as we know it. I personally wouldn't spend $50K+ on a FWD "luxury 4 door sedan" but the ES is one of the biggest sellers for Lexus in its sedan lineup segment but think the major driving force is the typical buyer/demo it targets is a much older crowd that can care less if its FWD. I think the GS if it were to survive, they should address all the current weaknesses and allot has to do with the old looking interior and atrocious infotainment system and perhaps converted into a sportback. My 2 cents.
Old 12-11-18, 11:20 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
I'd say if the new ES offered a AWD version it will no doubt kill off the GS as we know it. I personally wouldn't spend $50K+ on a FWD "luxury 4 door sedan" but the ES is by far the biggest seller for Lexus in its sedan lineup segment but think the major driving force is the typical buyer/demo it targets is a much older crowd that can care less if its FWD. I think the GS if it were to survive, they should address all the current weaknesses and allot has to do with the old looking interior and atrocious infotainment system and perhaps converted into a sportback. My 2 cents.
Corrected for truth. Figures are through November:

Lou
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 12-11-18, 11:50 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what are the negatives.. warantee returns?
Old 12-11-18, 11:52 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Wait, what?
yes it is.. I measured at the dealer and the salesperson that wanted to sell me a RX had to admit it is true... 4GS trunk is bigger than ES as well.. New ES at least..
Old 12-11-18, 12:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I'd buy the larger trunk position for the GS vs under the RX cargo cover, but the RX has massive additional capability that a GS never will. When I had our RX, I could carry a twin mattress in it, I once had a large chest of drawers, I transported a patio table with 4 chairs, etc.
Old 12-13-18, 12:57 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'd buy the larger trunk position for the GS vs under the RX cargo cover, but the RX has massive additional capability that a GS never will. When I had our RX, I could carry a twin mattress in it, I once had a large chest of drawers, I transported a patio table with 4 chairs, etc.
yes fair enough. not arguing that. But I have a Prado for that function. I am saying 4 people in the car with luggage. Not hauling cargo... GS trunk easy 50% bigger than RX. I was very surprised what I could fit in there. On our first road trip (wife, me , todler, baby) I told my wife we would have to take the Prado given the pile of stuff she placed for me to take.. (All luggage for a week, cot, mattress, extra baby seats x 2, bulky toys, bicycle for toddler, etc..) I packed it in the GS trunk with some space to spare... GS trunk rules. Period. Sure you can fit more if you pack to RX to the roof... but that is not comparing apples with apples...
Old 12-13-18, 08:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtkotze
yes fair enough. not arguing that. But I have a Prado for that function. I am saying 4 people in the car with luggage. Not hauling cargo... GS trunk easy 50% bigger than RX. I was very surprised what I could fit in there. On our first road trip (wife, me , todler, baby) I told my wife we would have to take the Prado given the pile of stuff she placed for me to take.. (All luggage for a week, cot, mattress, extra baby seats x 2, bulky toys, bicycle for toddler, etc..) I packed it in the GS trunk with some space to spare... GS trunk rules. Period. Sure you can fit more if you pack to RX to the roof... but that is not comparing apples with apples...
I have to agree, I put a ton of stuff in my GS for vacation, trunk is really big, I had a RX rental and was shocked how small the area is in back, if you don't have rear passengers in the RX you can fold the seats down but if you do the GS in some ways can fit larger items and it won't block visibility stuffing the trunk full of stuff.
Old 12-13-18, 10:22 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

I can fit an adult bicycle in my RC trunk. With the back seat folded. The main disadvantage of the GS is the back seat doesn't fold and I can't carry long items.
Old 12-16-18, 08:22 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 212 Likes on 146 Posts

18.4 cubic feet in both. RX can go up to 56.3 with the seats down. Add to that the much larger opening. Let’s not be obtuse here. JFC.
Old 12-29-18, 04:13 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I see Lexus.com is now advertising for the 2019 GSs 300 and 350 f-sports. At least we made it one more year. It looks the same as last years model.
Old 12-29-18, 06:47 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by teezee1000
Well I see Lexus.com is now advertising for the 2019 GSs 300 and 350 f-sports. At least we made it one more year. It looks the same as last years model.
do you mean front page or you noticed they changed it cause they changed to 2019 for a while and d/c the hybrid version. Somewhere I read they only d/c engine options before an update so probably the last year but you would think we would have seen test cars by now if its being replaced. also, random but where in NC are you?
Old 12-29-18, 06:57 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by teezee1000
yep, it is my theory that the remaining parts inventory of a 125k-130k 7-9 year GS production run is to be sold off. To Lexus, this inventory is already paid for and has a greater return on $$ than first or second year of a new model generation. I simply do not think they can pursue another 8-9 model year generation at only 7,000 to 9,000 units per year and incremental revisions of safety and tech. Gen 1 of the Kia stinger has the GS flatfooted. To stay relevant, 100k+ units needs to be achieved in 4-5 years or it’s not worth doing. SUV’s easily get that number in 1-2 years!! It’s time to see the GS morph into a luxury crossover better than the RX.

Prediction:
2019 last year of GS ( burn off remaining inventory)
2020 last year of RX. ( burn off remaining inventory)
2021 new series — Lexus sells cars they can consistently be profitable AND a healthy sales volume. No more dying sales spiral of 2 more years at the end of 7th year of a model generation. You are either relevant to the car buyers or their business will go elsewhere.
Old 12-29-18, 09:11 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus

yep, it is my theory that the remaining parts inventory of a 125k-130k 7-9 year GS production run is to be sold off. To Lexus, this inventory is already paid for and has a greater return on $$ than first or second year of a new model generation. I simply do not think they can pursue another 8-9 model year generation at only 7,000 to 9,000 units per year and incremental revisions of safety and tech. Gen 1 of the Kia stinger has the GS flatfooted. To stay relevant, 100k+ units needs to be achieved in 4-5 years or it’s not worth doing. SUV’s easily get that number in 1-2 years!! It’s time to see the GS morph into a luxury crossover better than the RX.

Prediction:
2021 new series — Lexus sells cars they can consistently be profitable AND a healthy sales volume. No more dying sales spiral of 2 more years at the end of 7th year of a model generation. You are either relevant to the car buyers or their business will go elsewhere.

customers that buy the 4GS’s won’t buy a sporty crossover.
cusotmers that have been buying RX’s for years won’t buy more expensive sporty crossover from Lexus.

If your theory is true RX owners will go to MDX’s and Infiniti QX50.
And 4GS owners will go Genesis G80 and BMW 5 series.

The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (12-29-18)
Old 12-29-18, 09:30 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts
Default Q

Originally Posted by All4Lexus

Prediction:
Personally, a GS in the likes of a Range Rover Sport would be amazing. The NX and RX are doing well enough for Lexus to keep that winning formula of their lower priced SUVs...and then comes the UX which seems like they just took a corolla hatchback and made it taller. I imagine that between the three UX, NX and RX, they will sell around 200,000 of them combined.

If the GS turned into an SUV, then its gotta be a reliable Range Rover Sport. I've driven a bunch of different SUVs in the last few years: Jaguar F Pace, Range Rover Sport, Caddy XT5, RX350, Audi Q7. Out of all of them, the Rover Sport is my personal favorite (sporty, spacious, good looking and comfortable) followed by the XT5 which is basically an American version of the RX with a few features missing from the RX like a touchscreen interface and Apple/Android Auto.

I agree that the GS stands a very good chance of getting chopped - especially if the ES gets AWD. If they announce an ES with AWD, then its unlikely the GS will survive. I hate to say crazy things, but because everyone is on an SUV high, the UX could actually already be the "replacement" for the GS. But MAN OH MAN, if they built a GS-SUV that really went after the Rover Sport, it would be fun!

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)