GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 10:56 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
Isn't it official that 2019 will be the final production year?
No. Lexus has not made any such proclamation.
Old 12-31-18, 11:12 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMJ
Isn't it official that 2019 will be the final production year?
People do realize for a new generation of a vehicle to be born, the existing vehicle production needs to cease, right? The factory isn't going to suddenly evolve overnight one day and pump out a brand new vehicle. The 4GS is old. It's likely that the 4GS will stop being produced after the 2019 model year as a typical model generation is around 7 years for luxury cars. This means nothing in relation to a next gen vehicle.

If there will be a 5GS or if there won't be a 5GS, 4GS production will and has to end either way. How this is not common sense, I don't know.

Lexus had to end 3GS production at some point to re-tool and re-engineer the factory to produce the 4GS and they even took a year off in between model years to do so. This isn't that complicated.
Old 12-31-18, 11:35 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

That would be nice if they stopped in 2020 and we see a revamped 2021 model. Who knows what will happen?!
Old 12-31-18, 01:35 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Lexus doesn't want to kill the sales anymore than they already are. They're not going to announce any plans for the GS until the last freaking moment. Unfortunately, we should have already seen mules of the 5GS, and we haven't. They released the 2013 GS in February of 2012. Going on close to 7 years now.
Old 12-31-18, 01:35 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

Although the Tesla are trending and a new hot topic right now, I wouldn’t be so quick to call it a winner. Elon basically carved his company a niche market that didn’t exsist. They have snatched a few sales from other manufacturers. But overall the quality of the final product, craftsmanship and features are lacking compared to the mainstream brands from Germany and even Lexus.

Tesla has also been living on corporate welfare. Once the Audi, BMW, Mercedes get into the game I see Tesla merging or dying off completely. I’ve seen reports of cars being delivered with mix matched alloy wheels, mix match interior door panels and even General Motors quality paint jobs. I would hardly call them a winner they have no competition, who are they beating?

Friend, perhaps you might review Q3 sales. Lexus is the #1 luxury car seller in the world.
To answer your question, they are beating everybody.
In Q3, Tesla sold more Model 3s than Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and Audi sold cars (this excludes SUVs).
In August, the Model 3 was in the top 5 selling car based on units and is #1 in terms of revenue.
Wait until Q4 numbers come out.

Tesla crushes Porsche and Jaguar Worldwide

Remember, this is mainly from North America. In 2019, Musk is building his Super Charger network in Europe.
The Model 3 is expected to outsell Ford's Mustang this year as another example.
This is not a niche market. Porsche is bring out it's Taycan; others are working on EVs to be sure.
The network of chargers at companies and public places is growing rapidly; charge at home.
Imagine never having to look for a gas station.
Your car sits a lot of the time. Just plug in at home and off you go. Owners report the time given back of not gas shopping.

There is so much to this technology; it is a learning experience.
I understand this sounds silly; I would have said this 2 weeks ago. Not now.

Old 12-31-18, 01:46 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Lexus doesn't want to kill the sales anymore than they already are. They're not going to announce any plans for the GS until the last freaking moment. Unfortunately, we should have already seen mules of the 5GS, and we haven't. They released the 2013 GS in February of 2012. Going on close to 7 years now.
true, but they could still be hiding it under the crown sheet metal. They ran the 2GS for 8 long years. So 7 years isn’t unprecedented. 2019 Autoshow year will tell us a lot.
Old 12-31-18, 02:34 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Friend, perhaps you might review Q3 sales. Lexus is the #1 luxury car seller in the world.
To answer your question, they are beating everybody.
In Q3, Tesla sold more Model 3s than Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and Audi sold cars (this excludes SUVs).
In August, the Model 3 was in the top 5 selling car based on units and is #1 in terms of revenue.
Wait until Q4 numbers come out.

Tesla crushes Porsche and Jaguar Worldwide

Remember, this is mainly from North America. In 2019, Musk is building his Super Charger network in Europe.
The Model 3 is expected to outsell Ford's Mustang this year as another example.
This is not a niche market. Porsche is bring out it's Taycan; others are working on EVs to be sure.
The network of chargers at companies and public places is growing rapidly; charge at home.
Imagine never having to look for a gas station.
Your car sits a lot of the time. Just plug in at home and off you go. Owners report the time given back of not gas shopping.

There is so much to this technology; it is a learning experience.
I understand this sounds silly; I would have said this 2 weeks ago. Not now.
Im a little confused to if you saying Lexus or Tesla is the best seller, but I digress.
I just crunched some numbers and I’m not seeing what you’re seeing in regards to numbers. I used www.goodcarbadcar.com please state your source via link?

Yes the model 3 is selling very well, but once again the company is on corporate welfare. The investors are keeping the company alfoalt and the US government is giving out $7500 tax credits like name brand candy on Halloween.

Your also missing my stated point the model 3 doesn’t really have any direct competition. It lives in it’s own little electric world for now. Yes we have the BMW i3 EV, the Nissan LEAF and the Chevy Bolt, but I would hardly call those true direct competitors especially considering the model 3 is labeled a premium segment EV car. You can’t compare it to the establishment until they launch a 3 series EV, C-Class EV or A4 EV etc. People buying conventional cars aren’t cross shopping their potential candidates with model 3’s. Same goes for the Model S it has stolen a small amount of sales from the full-size luxury market but, that has mostly to do with the hype of the brand and the cool factor of saying you own a swanky Tesla. No different then when Addidas launched the Yeezy’s and consumers went bonkers.

Once we have a playing field of pure EV sedans to compare then we can talk about who’s winning and who’s not.
One of my really good friends is a big EV guy he has owned every single model Tesla they have created including the roadster. He also has a i8 which he parks next to his recent purchased Model 3 performance. When he goes on trip to Florida or Hilton Head from Ohio he has to plan ahead and figure out where to stop for charging prior to his departure. Not all Tesla station has superchargers on board. Sometimes he tells me he has to purposely stay at a hotel overnight even though he own body had the energy to continue on his journey because of range anxiety. I’d rarher take my chances searching for 93 octane than doing all that work. Until electric cars can conveniently 100% charge in 5-10 mins I’m not even thinking about buying anything electric.
Old 12-31-18, 03:15 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
No. Lexus has not made any such proclamation.
It’s true. GS will no longer be offered in Europe in 2019, Lexus pulled the GS out of European market. Lexus US just got lucky and were given another year. But in 2020 GS will cease to exist.
Old 12-31-18, 03:22 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by highrev6

Im a little confused to if you saying Lexus or Tesla is the best seller, but I digress.
I just crunched some numbers and I’m not seeing what you’re seeing in regards to numbers. I used www.goodcarbadcar.com please state your source via link?

Yes the model 3 is selling very well, but once again the company is on corporate welfare. The investors are keeping the company alfoalt and the US government is giving out $7500 tax credits like name brand candy on Halloween.

Your also missing my stated point the model 3 doesn’t really have any direct competition. It lives in it’s own little electric world for now. Yes we have the BMW i3 EV, the Nissan LEAF and the Chevy Bolt, but I would hardly call those true direct competitors especially considering the model 3 is labeled a premium segment EV car. You can’t compare it to the establishment until they launch a 3 series EV, C-Class EV or A4 EV etc. People buying conventional cars aren’t cross shopping their potential candidates with model 3’s. Same goes for the Model S it has stolen a small amount of sales from the full-size luxury market but, that has mostly to do with the hype of the brand and the cool factor of saying you own a swanky Tesla. No different then when Addidas launched the Yeezy’s and consumers went bonkers.

Once we have a playing field of pure EV sedans to compare then we can talk about who’s winning and who’s not.
One of my really good friends is a big EV guy he has owned every single model Tesla they have created including the roadster. He also has a i8 which he parks next to his recent purchased Model 3 performance. When he goes on trip to Florida or Hilton Head from Ohio he has to plan ahead and figure out where to stop for charging prior to his departure. Not all Tesla station has superchargers on board. Sometimes he tells me he has to purposely stay at a hotel overnight even though he own body had the energy to continue on his journey because of range anxiety. I’d rarher take my chances searching for 93 octane than doing all that work. Until electric cars can conveniently 100% charge in 5-10 mins I’m not even thinking about buying anything electric.
There is a link in my post.
Here's another
goodcarbadcar

I agree there is nothing else like a Tesla. Other manufacturers are scrambling to get a piece of this market.
The market is saying Tesla is beating everybody.
Regarding charging anxiety, our car's GPS routes you based on your destination, the remaining range, and where charging stations are.
Agreed, this is a different driving paradigm. It is growing.

I am having trouble inserting other hyperlinks; will add another post. Apologies.
Old 12-31-18, 03:22 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

and think about it

they have the flagship ls
the sport lc

the money maker and make lexus customers happy with ES
and they increase size of IS and put the twin turbo in as option with f sport

why do you need GS , again it makes no sense
its done
Old 12-31-18, 03:30 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

More Model 3 numbers.
Again, apologies as I am having trouble posting multiple links.
Tesla vs. Porsche and Jaguar
Old 12-31-18, 03:40 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Last one, unless you want more. Again, apologies.
Model 3 best selling Luxury car
Old 12-31-18, 03:50 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

model 3 is great
except

reliability is horrible

customer service is horrible

fit and finish is horrible

ergonomics are below par

interior is below lexus , mercedes and bmw

Production car has major flaws with gaps, tolerances and assembly

besides that great car

Last edited by mikesrx350; 12-31-18 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (12-31-18)
Old 12-31-18, 03:54 PM
eddie420

Received 622 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
model 3 is great
except

reliability is horrible

customer service is horrible

fit and finish is horrible

ergonomics are horrible

interior is below lexus , mercedes and bmw

Production car has major flaws with gaps, tolerances and assembly

besides that great car
On top of all that, I don't want touchscreen for everything like opening the glove box... seriously? Too much digitization would make me insane. I like tactile response of physical buttons over screen presses. The fact that Lexus left out the A/C button option but included it in the software bugs me but that's a whole another thread. LOL.
The following 2 users liked this post by eddie420:
dphu626 (01-02-19), UDel (01-02-19)
Old 12-31-18, 03:55 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

agreed eddie

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)