GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 10:03 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
No. It is not them cheaping out. This has been discussed ad nauseam. The system is designed to determine on its own whether the A/C compressor needs to run or not based on a multitude of factors. The system is much smarter than you or I and will always know better. Set the system to auto. Only worry about the temperature you want. There you go, your life is now easier. You're welcome.

Choosing not to adapt to and embrace the wonderful technology that very talented engineers likely agonized over and gave us is not Lexus making your life more difficult or contributing to distracted driving. It's the user's fault.
Lol we've reached a new low here, someone is now suggesting that a person wanting to control a climate control system manually is a major factor in distracted driving...

I wish there was an AC toggle on the panel but it is not something that would stop me from buying the car. At least there are redundant controls outside of the infotainment
crap.

-Mike

Old 01-02-19, 10:11 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Totally agree, one of the things that infuriate me about my GS is the lack of physical buttons for some common functions, one AC, other the vent mode selection, and the radio presets. I just keep asking myself why did they get rid of those buttons, what did it accomplish? It did not make anything easier, it did not improve anything, having to go through the mouse/screen to access or use these functions is only more difficult, requires me to take my eyes/attention off the road much more then a simple button I can quickly press one time. Why are automakers doing this? It really just boils down to its cheaper to put functions in screens over doing buttons, maybe somewhat understandable on econo cars but not on luxury cars.
I think that button that I've circled in red allows you to change the vent mode selection on the 4GS:
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-02-19)
Old 01-02-19, 10:18 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Totally agree, one of the things that infuriate me about my GS is the lack of physical buttons for some common functions, one AC, other the vent mode selection, and the radio presets. I just keep asking myself why did they get rid of those buttons, what did it accomplish? It did not make anything easier, it did not improve anything, having to go through the mouse/screen to access or use these functions is only more difficult, requires me to take my eyes/attention off the road much more then a simple button I can quickly press one time. Why are automakers doing this? It really just boils down to its cheaper to put functions in screens over doing buttons, maybe somewhat understandable on econo cars but not on luxury cars.
Count your blessings, it could be 1000 times worse. You could be in one of those new WoWo XC90s or whatever that have the screen that takes like 2 minutes to boot up when you start the car just so you can turn the bleeping heat on.... rofl...

At least with most current Lexus vehicles, you can get to 99% of the climate options without going very far... it's just "there".

-Mike
Old 01-02-19, 10:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

No. It is not them cheaping out. This has been discussed ad nauseam. The system is designed to determine on its own whether the A/C compressor needs to run or not based on a multitude of factors. The system is much smarter than you or I and will always know better. Set the system to auto. Only worry about the temperature you want. There you go, your life is now easier. You're welcome.

Choosing not to adapt to and embrace the wonderful technology that very talented engineers likely agonized over and gave us is not Lexus making your life more difficult or contributing to distracted driving. It's the user's fault.

Originally Posted by drgrant
I wish there was an AC toggle on the panel but it is not something that would stop me from buying the car. At least there are redundant controls outside of the infotainment
crap.

-Mike
Mike - Do you constantly turn the HVAC compressor On and Off in your home or office? Or, constantly turn the temperature up and then down ... or down and then up? This is what old people have a tendency to do...
signdetres (01-02-19)
Old 01-02-19, 11:51 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Lol we've reached a new low here, someone is now suggesting that a person wanting to control a climate control system manually is a major factor in distracted driving...

crap.

-Mike
Let's play nice... I would not call that a new low. It's a fair opinion, just an outdated way of using climate control systems in today's modern cars. In all fairness, for someone who chooses to toggle A/C on and off in the GS, it is not the simplest process (but there are harder things in life ) & I think we all know Enform is not the easiest system on the market to use, especially while on the move, so I think it's fair, but unnecessary. But that's why these brilliant engineers designed the system in such a way that we wouldn't even have to think about it.
Old 01-02-19, 11:52 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Mike - Do you constantly turn the HVAC compressor On and Off in your home or office? Or, constantly turn the temperature up and then down ... or down and then up? This is what old people have a tendency to do...
HAHA. I immediately thought about my grandma after reading the bolded part as she does this, and then I saw your last sentence! You're so right!
Old 01-02-19, 12:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
HAHA. I immediately thought about my grandma after reading the bolded part as she does this, and then I saw your last sentence! You're so right!

signdetres (01-02-19)
Old 01-03-19, 08:55 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

That photo is not legit! I.....uh, 'she' couldn't do that without glasses
Old 01-11-19, 07:26 AM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default News on GS discontinue

Any recent news on Lexus discontinuing the GS line? Haven’t read anything in the past year. This is my 2nd GS and the only Lexus model that has my interest.
Old 01-11-19, 07:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

No, nothing new.
Old 01-11-19, 07:52 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Lexus is very good at keeping secrets.
Old 01-11-19, 08:00 AM
rimrattler
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

also a slightly misleading post title =)
Old 01-11-19, 01:06 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

On the topic of buttons and such for climate control: I do wish pushing the Auto button a second time would disable the third zone.
Every time my kids push a button, I have to use the mouse to undo it.

Most of the time, I want the car as a single zone, and the Auto button would be a great way to return to that state.
Old 01-11-19, 02:53 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

I wandered into a Lexus dealer yesterday and there were no GS cars in the showroom nor GS brochures on offer. The salesman could not confirm what we believe here but indicated it's looking like it's a redundant model in Lexus' race to the bottom.
I didn't mind the ES interior but what's with the location of the drive mode and traction control ***** on the dash in the new models? I still believe my GS is the finest looking vehicle on offer under 200K
Old 01-11-19, 04:13 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had cars in the past that got notably less gas mileage with the AC on so grew accustomed to leaving it off unless I absolutely needed it. I'm in the Phoenix area and even in warmer months could get by with the AC off as long as I had air moving and hitting me in the face. As I got more powerful cars where the AC compressor drag on the engine was less noticeable I couldn't really tell a difference between running AC and not but I would still only run it when really needed.

When I got a GS350 I was a little put off by not having a dedicated AC button but have grown more used to it, however I did find that in the climate settings you can change how the outside air/recirc button functions. I forget what the wording is but now if I want AC on all I have to do is set the outside air/recirc to Auto and it turns on. Set it on outside or recirc and it turns off again. This is pretty much an AC on button.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)