GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-19, 10:00 AM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Toyota / Lexus is behind on everything. It really is sad when a giant like Toyota cannot find enough resources and funds to make their luxury brand stand out more. Lexus keeps sliding down year after year, soon it will be competing with Acura.

highly doubt it, sit in an acura and sit in a lexus, acura feels like its competing with toyota, not lexus. i was severely disappointed when cross shopping my gs with the tlx
Old 05-11-19, 10:42 AM
LYTE
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Do ya really trust what a sales mgr. tells ya?!
Him telling me or a potential buyer that a car that's coming out 4 to 6 months later isn't benefitting him.
Old 05-11-19, 11:57 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

I spoke to my dealer yesterday about the future of the GS and they're just as much in the dark as the consumer. Lexus/Toyota is a master at keeping secrets about future models.
Old 05-11-19, 01:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GSRockstar
highly doubt it, sit in an acura and sit in a lexus, acura feels like its competing with toyota, not lexus. i was severely disappointed when cross shopping my gs with the tlx
TLX is more of a competitor to the ES and IS, not a GS. The RLX is more of a competitor to the GS. The RLX interior isn't as nice as the GS in most areas but it does have much more room in back, RLX has around LS rear seat room. The Hybrid RLX is much quicker then any GS except for the GS-F.
Old 05-11-19, 01:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Go big or go home.
Electric, baby!
That will ensure its failure.
Old 05-11-19, 02:12 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LYTE
The 2019 is the last GS model. Going fwd the ES will come with AWD. Idk if it's an option or standard tho.

Sales manager at lexus of Manhattan told me late March this year
They've been telling people this kind of crap for the last two years, in a vain attempt to get people to buy something vs "waiting for the new GS" etc.

-Mike
Old 05-11-19, 02:16 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Toyota / Lexus is behind on everything. It really is sad when a giant like Toyota cannot find enough resources and funds to make their luxury brand stand out more. Lexus keeps sliding down year after year, soon it will be competing with Acura.
A huge part of the problem is car consumers in this country are turning into morons. Especially in america right now where the hottest segment is trash grade SUVs and crossovers. The "lease and discard" model among lots of well heeled people in the US is also ****ing up/disrupting the luxury car market. Under a notion of a 36K lease, reliability and so on become meaningless terms. The nostrum of long term ownership, the thing that Lexus excelled at the most, is being eroded by wishy washy consumers more and more as time goes on....

-Mike
The following 2 users liked this post by drgrant:
GS350Miami (05-12-19), jdpdata (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 02:42 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
A huge part of the problem is car consumers in this country are turning into morons. Especially in america right now where the hottest segment is trash grade SUVs and crossovers. The "lease and discard" model among lots of well heeled people in the US is also ****ing up/disrupting the luxury car market. Under a notion of a 36K lease, reliability and so on become meaningless terms. The nostrum of long term ownership, the thing that Lexus excelled at the most, is being eroded by wishy washy consumers more and more as time goes on....

-Mike
+1... smfh...
Old 05-11-19, 07:04 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

The 2019 is the last GS model. Going fwd the ES will come with AWD. Idk if it's an option or standard tho.

hard to believe they'd do this in a non-refresh/remodel year without them announcing its in the pipes from release.
Old 05-13-19, 06:59 AM
jasonguo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This. I bet we will see an AWD ES in less than 12months.

As for a new engine, Toyota went to BMW for the new supra engine so there is no hope they will have something more powerful coming out to replace the current V6, atleast not something traditional. I bet they are working on EVs or other alternatives.
Old 05-13-19, 07:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'll never understand the judgement and hate people on CL have for CUVs and those of us who buy them. We've had a few and they've treated us well. And having a vehicle that can do the things we need a CUV for is what allows me to also have a sedan.

I have a Highlander that seats 7, gets nearly 30 mpg, has AWD and good ground clearance, allowing my family to grab a couple friends and head to the mountains in winter. No sedan is going to do that for me.

My folks, longtime Camry owners, switched to CUVs. They now have a RAV4. They are almost 70 years old. They like the ease of getting in and out of it, which is easier than in a sedan. It gets great gas mileage, comfortably seats four, has AWD, and tons of cargo room. So again, why the hate for those of us who buy a vehicle that so perfectly fits our needs?

I love sedans too, and get that the buying public is in large part moving away from them, but I understand why, and won't bash on the manufacturers for building what sells. There are still lots of good sedan options out there. I will be bummed if the GS does not continue, but c'est la vie.
Old 05-13-19, 07:51 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'll never understand the judgement and hate people on CL have for CUVs and those of us who buy them. We've had a few and they've treated us well. And having a vehicle that can do the things we need a CUV for is what allows me to also have a sedan.

I have a Highlander that seats 7, gets nearly 30 mpg, has AWD and good ground clearance, allowing my family to grab a couple friends and head to the mountains in winter. No sedan is going to do that for me.

My folks, longtime Camry owners, switched to CUVs. They now have a RAV4. They are almost 70 years old. They like the ease of getting in and out of it, which is easier than in a sedan. It gets great gas mileage, comfortably seats four, has AWD, and tons of cargo room. So again, why the hate for those of us who buy a vehicle that so perfectly fits our needs?

I love sedans too, and get that the buying public is in large part moving away from them, but I understand why, and won't bash on the manufacturers for building what sells. There are still lots of good sedan options out there. I will be bummed if the GS does not continue, but c'est la vie.
agreed. there is no point in blaming the consumer for changing needs/wants or finding more utility in a newer design and then further blaming the businesses for then catering to those factors. this is how business works.
Old 05-13-19, 08:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Since the new LS500 is not selling well, is already being discounted, and sales are unlikely to pick up on it since it is not hitting the marks with its buyers there may be a new opportunity/need for another GS generation that can grab buyers who want something nicer/sportier then a ES but also who want something closer to what the last few Gen LS's were. Lexus may have been waiting to see how LS sales and reception turned out to see if they were going to do another GS, if sales were good and the market responded to more sport oriented LS they may have figured the LS will just be the car that buyers get if they want something above ES and they may not need the GS anymore but with sales in the 400-500 range the past 4 or 5 months for the LS that is certainly not happening and hopefully they have changed their minds and feel they do need a mid sized competitor and maybe something a little more traditional to right what they did with the LS.

I think a next gen GS that has more traditional styling like the 2013-2015 without the ugly tack ons, huge grill, shapes that they did on the 2016+/LS500 that offers more rear seat/leg room, more power(no more base 4cyl or hybrid), 8 cylinder option, give us back traditional buttons over that horrible pad system in the LS500 and they will have a decent hint and option for buyers who want something nicer/sportier then the ES and who don't like the new LS.
Old 05-13-19, 08:31 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonguo
As for a new engine, Toyota went to BMW for the new supra engine so there is no hope they will have something more powerful coming out to replace the current V6, atleast not something traditional. I bet they are working on EVs or other alternatives.
I am still so confused by this. Toyota knows how to make powerful engines.
They make amazingly durable v8s and v6s, and they've made ridiculously reliable turbo i6s in the past.

Why did they decide to use a BMW engine instead of tapping their own expertise?
Was it because they don't expect to sell many?
Old 05-13-19, 08:39 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
I am still so confused by this. Toyota knows how to make powerful engines.
They make amazingly durable v8s and v6s, and they've made ridiculously reliable turbo i6s in the past.

Why did they decide to use a BMW engine instead of tapping their own expertise?
Was it because they don't expect to sell many?

Thats exactly why. They said their customer surveys indicated a straight six was a must, given Supra history. Then, they don't expect to make a lot of them so to design, build, test, a new straight six (which Toyota has not used in a long time) would be costly. The easiest way to get this done given the limited production numbers was to partner with an established I6 powerplant out there that is already proven to satisfy enthusiasts. Then they put their Toyota tuning on it and plugged it into the new Supra.
The following users liked this post:
bigblack06 (05-14-19)

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)