GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 01:23 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Toyota / Lexus is behind on everything. It really is sad when a giant like Toyota cannot find enough resources and funds to make their luxury brand stand out more. Lexus keeps sliding down year after year, soon it will be competing with Acura.

And since they are not leading edge and wait for the kinks to be worked out, they are the most reliable cars in the industry. That is the primary reason I have always been a Lexus/Toyota customer.
Old 05-13-19, 01:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Thats exactly why. They said their customer surveys indicated a straight six was a must, given Supra history. Then, they don't expect to make a lot of them so to design, build, test, a new straight six (which Toyota has not used in a long time) would be costly. The easiest way to get this done given the limited production numbers was to partner with an established I6 powerplant out there that is already proven to satisfy enthusiasts. Then they put their Toyota tuning on it and plugged it into the new Supra.

I doubt Supra fans would have minded a 4.0l turbo V8 which was rumored to be what was going to go into the next Gen Supra in the late 90's, the 4000GT. They also could have done a new Toyota Inline 6 to go into the new LS, GS, IS, RC, LC and spread it around but I am not sure if the new V6 in the LS was already well into development before they agreed to a new Supra.

It was wrong to base the Supra on a lower end roadster, it should have been based on a 4 series/M4 which would have given it a better profile and better proportions if they had to use a BMW platform or base it on what Toyota already had, the RC or LC platform.
Old 05-13-19, 01:41 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I doubt Supra fans would have minded a 4.0l turbo V8 which was rumored to be what was going to go into the next Gen Supra in the late 90's, the 4000GT. They also could have done a new Toyota Inline 6 to go into the new LS, GS, IS, RC, LC and spread it around but I am not sure if the new V6 in the LS was already well into development before they agreed to a new Supra.

It was wrong to base the Supra on a lower end roadster, it should have been based on a 4 series/M4 which would have given it a better profile and better proportions if they had to use a BMW platform or base it on what Toyota already had, the RC or LC platform.
Here is the source: https://europe.autonews.com/automake...urai-heart-bmw

I know we don't think customers would have minded, but consider the Japanese culture is based on tradition and what they got from their customer surveys, it makes sense why they didn't plunk a bunch of money into dropping a V8 into it or designing a new I6 and instead just essentially licensed an engine from the current cream of the crop makers of the straight six engines.
Old 05-13-19, 03:37 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'll never understand the judgement and hate people on CL have for CUVs and those of us who buy them.
To each his own, but seeming you asked....SUVs are a trend and so many people buy them because....because SUV! The overwhelming majority will never see a light gravel road, let alone a dirt trail. They're city cars for those who think they're outdoorsy. The outdoorsy buy Patrols, Xtrails and Landcruisers - vehicles that are actually off road capable. I've found wagons to be far more dynamic and offer more headroom and luggage space.

They're not as fuel efficient as the sedan/ hatch they tend to be based on. The high centre of gravity makes handling very poor, especially when it's a FWD model. People think they're safer in an SUV but ANCAP results show they really aren't. The higher seating position will be moot as everybody else will soon be driving SUVs at the same height.

Old 05-13-19, 03:55 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LYTE
The 2019 is the last GS model. Going fwd the ES will come with AWD. Idk if it's an option or standard tho.

Sales manager at lexus of Manhattan told me late March this year
People were saying sales managers told them no new 2019 GS before the 2019 GS was announced, so this means absolutely nothing.
Old 05-13-19, 04:47 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

If we could have only 1 vehicle, the RX wins hands down. It does so much so well.

Drive a Tesla; you will understand why I say electric.
Beyond that, the Tesla is sooo Japanesey; simple, uncluttered, AWESOME!
After driving the Model 3, the GS seems so overly complicated. And slow....
Take a lesson, Lexus.
Old 05-13-19, 05:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
To each his own, but seeming you asked....SUVs are a trend and so many people buy them because....because SUV! The overwhelming majority will never see a light gravel road, let alone a dirt trail. They're city cars for those who think they're outdoorsy. The outdoorsy buy Patrols, Xtrails and Landcruisers - vehicles that are actually off road capable. I've found wagons to be far more dynamic and offer more headroom and luggage space.

They're not as fuel efficient as the sedan/ hatch they tend to be based on. The high centre of gravity makes handling very poor, especially when it's a FWD model. People think they're safer in an SUV but ANCAP results show they really aren't. The higher seating position will be moot as everybody else will soon be driving SUVs at the same height.

Well, that really wasn't my point. I wasn't arguing that there weren't any downsides to them. Of course there are, just like every type of car. I can give you a list of the negatives of sedans as well. Doesn't mean much. My point was the judging and attacking on here of the vehicles and the people who own them. And in the US, there are very few wagons available.

FWIW, I own one and I know many, many people who own CUVs. I don't know anyone who actually bought one because they thought it was some kind of gritty off roader. They bought them, like me, for the utility. For all-weather driving, for a good view out, and/or for more room. I don't think that makes them "morons" and I don't think it means they are too stupid to realize what they bought. They aren't out flinging them around corners any more than people are out flinging their Camrys around corners.

I think there is a place for both sedans and CUVs.

People ought to just buy what suits them. I'm a sedan guy. That's why I have the GS. But I'd be fooling myself if I thought the Highlander wasn't the better fit for my family.
Old 05-13-19, 05:23 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Having a GS and an RX is really the best of both worlds for me. My RX is incredibly boring in a good way and is night and day difference from the GS. Going on 5 yrs. with the RX and only 2 minor manufacturers defects. Is it possible that a domestic can go 40k miles in 5yrs. and only have two minors issues? I'd bet not in most cases. If I could only have one it would be the GS but the RX serves a good purpose for my needs.
The following users liked this post:
UBMGS (03-25-20)
Old 05-14-19, 08:39 AM
BJOSE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was in the market to change my 2016 GS350, I couldn't find any reliable updates on a new GS. Also none of the dealers in the area had any confirmed updates on a more powerful GS with AWD(something between GS350 and GSF, or GSF engine with AWD). If that was available or planned to be available, I would've happily waited for that.
Old 05-14-19, 01:35 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BJOSE
When I was in the market to change my 2016 GS350, I couldn't find any reliable updates on a new GS. Also none of the dealers in the area had any confirmed updates on a more powerful GS with AWD(something between GS350 and GSF, or GSF engine with AWD). If that was available or planned to be available, I would've happily waited for that.
That is the key, a GS400 with 380 to 400hp, notch under a redesigned GSF if it ever happens.

They would fly off the shelves with AWD and tune capabilities, let me dream.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikedozz:
BJOSE (05-15-19), jasonguo (05-15-19), jonathancl (05-15-19)
Old 05-15-19, 08:24 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Went in for an oil change a few weeks ago - service adviser said there won't be a 2020 GS. He kept referring to the low volume of 2019 GS sales at his dealership and said the ES will eventually have AWD so the GS is being slotted out. I still think i'll wait for the official announcement from Toyota/Lexus before I come to any conclusions b/c even if there is no 2020 GS, the Japanese Toyota Crown still exists so lets see what the next couple of years will bring.
Old 05-15-19, 08:59 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Went in for an oil change a few weeks ago - service adviser said there won't be a 2020 GS. He kept referring to the low volume of 2019 GS sales at his dealership and said the ES will eventually have AWD so the GS is being slotted out. I still think i'll wait for the official announcement from Toyota/Lexus before I come to any conclusions b/c even if there is no 2020 GS, the Japanese Toyota Crown still exists so lets see what the next couple of years will bring.
EXACTLY. The new Supra only came about cause BMW invested most of the R&D in the hardware so it was just cost of tuning and whatever they had to pay BMW for the stuff. The new Crown is already on the new TGNA platform right? The move to TGNA was suppose to cut costs. Now they need to announce a new dynamic force V6 and a 5GS is set to go
Old 05-15-19, 11:10 PM
Luffy808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Since the new LS500 is not selling well, is already being discounted, and sales are unlikely to pick up on it since it is not hitting the marks with its buyers there may be a new opportunity/need for another GS generation that can grab buyers who want something nicer/sportier then a ES but also who want something closer to what the last few Gen LS's were. Lexus may have been waiting to see how LS sales and reception turned out to see if they were going to do another GS, if sales were good and the market responded to more sport oriented LS they may have figured the LS will just be the car that buyers get if they want something above ES and they may not need the GS anymore but with sales in the 400-500 range the past 4 or 5 months for the LS that is certainly not happening and hopefully they have changed their minds and feel they do need a mid sized competitor and maybe something a little more traditional to right what they did with the LS.

I think a next gen GS that has more traditional styling like the 2013-2015 without the ugly tack ons, huge grill, shapes that they did on the 2016+/LS500 that offers more rear seat/leg room, more power(no more base 4cyl or hybrid), 8 cylinder option, give us back traditional buttons over that horrible pad system in the LS500 and they will have a decent hint and option for buyers who want something nicer/sportier then the ES and who don't like the new LS.
The REAL question is your facts straight on Lexus discontinuing the LS due to sales in the near future?! Please don’t imply things that are NOT fact! Lexus has discontinued the GS due to the ES taking over! please get your facts straight and not put things that you “think” may happen!

Last edited by Luffy808; 05-15-19 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 03:22 AM
GS350Miami
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Luffy808
The REAL question is your facts straight on Lexus discontinuing the LS due to sales in the near future?! Please don’t imply things that are NOT fact! Lexus has discontinued the GS due to the ES taking over! please get your facts straight and not put things that you “think” may happen!
I think he said discounting, not discontinuing.
Old 05-16-19, 04:57 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Luffy808
Besides the fact you misunderstood discontinue for discount... You posted about implying things that are not fact, then outright stated something that is not fact. Nobody has confirmed the GS is being discontinued so heed your own advice.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)