GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20 | 08:21 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Definitely agree. The GS just needs way more power especially as a car marketed as a "sports oriented sedan." The only thing sporty about it nowadays is that it is RWD.
Is 340-350 hp too much to ask???? We don't need much, just a significant difference to widen the gap between the 301 hp Camry.
Old 02-12-20 | 08:36 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
Is 340-350 hp too much to ask???? We don't need much, just a significant difference to widen the gap between the 301 hp Camry.
That's what the GS F is for. The GS stands on it's own as a huge upgrade from the Camry.
The following users liked this post:
GibbsLexus (02-14-20)
Old 02-13-20 | 10:00 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
That's what the GS F is for. The GS stands on it's own as a huge upgrade from the Camry.
In most every way but the hp. I too would like something in the range of 350-380 hp. I really love my GS, the interior and the exterior and if they gave it a hp bump, updated the entertainment/nav to improve resolution and speed with Apple Carplay and Android, added lane keep, 360 view, auto cruise control, updated instrument cluster screen then that would be all it really needs as far as I can tell, to get it competing with MB & BMW. For crying out loud, Kia & Hyundai are starting to make them look bad.

I would love a NA V8 but the premium to go to the GSF is just ridiculous. In virtually every way it is identical to a GS350 but a $30-40k premium is crazy for mainly an engine. I think they need something in between the ES & GSF.

Last edited by thallium; 02-13-20 at 10:45 AM. Reason: omitted word
Old 02-13-20 | 10:19 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thallium
In most every way but the hp. I too would like something in the range of 350-380 hp. I really love my GS, the interior and the exterior and if they gave it a hp bump, updated the entertainment/nav to improve resolution and speed with Apple Carplay and Android, added lane keep, 360 view, auto cruise control, updated instrument cluster screen then that would be all it really needs as far as I can tell, to get it competing with MB & BMW. For crying out loud, Kia & Hyundai are starting to make them bad.

I would love a NA V8 but the premium to go to the GSF is just ridiculous. In virtually every way it is identical to a GS350 but a $30-40k premium is crazy for mainly an engine. I think they need something in between the ES & GSF.
good points here for something in between ES and GSF. The bigger question is where the buyers are for a sale — if it leans favorably to the ES side, then Lexus should not bother with a GS in sedan form. Instead they can evolve the GS into a Grand Saloon or Grand SUV rebrand and give it a cross over feel that’s more luxury and unique than the Ux Nx and potentially be a slightly smaller yet sporty sibling of RX. It needs something to be relevant against the upcoming Model Y. I like the UX and need a better alternative to NX/RX to fit in btw the Es and gsf. Going back to sedan won’t drive sporty excitement for me.
GibbsLexus (02-14-20)
Old 02-13-20 | 10:56 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
good points here for something in between ES and GSF. The bigger question is where the buyers are for a sale — if it leans favorably to the ES side, then Lexus should not bother with a GS in sedan form. Instead they can evolve the GS into a Grand Saloon or Grand SUV rebrand and give it a cross over feel that’s more luxury and unique than the Ux Nx and potentially be a slightly smaller yet sporty sibling of RX. It needs something to be relevant against the upcoming Model Y. I like the UX and need a better alternative to NX/RX to fit in btw the Es and gsf. Going back to sedan won’t drive sporty excitement for me.
I left out word in my previous post. Meant to say "Kia/Hyundai are starting to make Lexus look bad", not "starting to make bad", which made no sense.

Isn't the GS already supposed to be a Grand Saloon? I'm not sure I'd be interested in it if it went too SUV. I don't really care for any of Lexus' crossovers/car suv type things. There are other manufacturers that have ones I like that aren't bad like Jaguar F Pace, Porsche Cayenne or Macan.
Old 02-13-20 | 10:59 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Instead they can evolve the GS into a Grand Saloon or Grand SUV rebrand and give it a cross over feel
No thank you. Let the GS be the GS. If you want a Lexus SUV (or some derivation thereof), there’s like 12 to choose from. Let’s not bastardize one of the last remaining RWD “sport sedans” in the market in the process.

it needs updating, surely, but it doesn’t need a rebrand or a crossover bastardization.
natnut (03-25-20)
Old 02-13-20 | 12:52 PM
charley95
Pole Position

I thought GS stood for Grand Sedan? I say NO turning it into a crossover or an SUV.
The following 3 users liked this post by charley95:
AJLex19 (02-13-20), jtrue28 (02-14-20), natnut (03-25-20)
Old 02-13-20 | 01:29 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

GS =Grand Sport/Sedan
LS = Luxury Sedan

I think the issue is that the Lux sedan buyer wants sedans that look sporty but are not actually sporty...good on gas with the latest tech and roomy. The F-Sport versions of the ES and LS are examples - they look sporty but really aren't driver's cars like an IS or GS. If people keep buying the ES and don't feel that the GS warrants a look, as others have stated, Lexus would need to differentiate the GS more (more standard lux features, more power, more flashy/forward interior and mechanical tech).
Old 02-14-20 | 12:45 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Some of us use differing currencies so I'll use percentages. The base GS is almost 3 times the cost of the base Camry. I wouldn't argue it's almost 3 times better as that buys a base GS. The current top of the range 3.5L Camry has much of what our GS has- heads up display, ventilated seats, LED headlights, rain sensor, radar cruise and all the other PCS stuff. It's half the cost of a loaded 350 Fsport, what will the the next GS have that it won't that justifies the pricetag? Prestige alone doesn't sell the GS.

The GS F is almost 40% more than a fully optioned Fsport 350. The V8 listed on Lexuspartsnow is only $7500USD more than the 3.5L.

I love these cars, they should be far more popular but comparatively few are being sold and I can see why. BMW and MB don't offer a similarly sized vehicle that's half as good for a third of the cost...the 3.5L Camry and GS have practically the same motor... obviously the GS is fitted to a higher standard and is RWD but that's no longer enough IMO.

Last edited by Cwang; 02-14-20 at 12:56 AM.
imjohnphan (02-14-20)
Old 02-14-20 | 12:58 AM
Cwang
Instructor

I would like to see the GS become a plug in liftback. Lexus are idiots for not making wagons anymore. Yes please.
Old 02-14-20 | 10:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

It's a rare $90K car, 40K premium to get more power over a GS350, the market clearly does not want to pay those prices for a GS just to get more power.
Old 02-14-20 | 10:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cwang
I would like to see the GS become a plug in liftback. Lexus are idiots for not making wagons anymore. Yes please.
They are smart for not doing that, nobody would buy it if it was a plug in liftback/wagon.
Old 02-14-20 | 12:14 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
No thank you. Let the GS be the GS. If you want a Lexus SUV (or some derivation thereof), there’s like 12 to choose from. Let’s not bastardize one of the last remaining RWD “sport sedans” in the market in the process.

it needs updating, surely, but it doesn’t need a rebrand or a crossover bastardization.
That's going to be Toyota/Lexus' call whether the curtain comes down on it or re-vitalize it. The market is a lot different now than in the early 2010 decade. Buyers are tempted with so many other choices!
Old 02-14-20 | 03:23 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
When you drove the 16, was it AWD or RWD?

My 15 AWD and my 19 AWD don't feel any different in acceleration, but both have the 6 speed. The RWD with the 8 speed (2014-2020) definitely feels different than the 2013 RWD with the 6 speed.
I'm almost positive it was a RWD.
JDR76 (02-14-20)
Old 02-14-20 | 05:03 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by UDel
They are smart for not doing that, nobody would buy it if it was a plug in liftback/wagon.
I would! There are heaps of MB/Audi/BMW/Volvo (especially) estates on the road, there is no way to buy a sporty wagon without going Euro. I love my GS but as the main family car it's a joke. The boot isn't great and the rear seats don't go down. To make it worse the Fsport can't take a towbar.
Everyone is going SUV but what about those who want both performance, handling and practicality? Lexus don't have that market filled - they're the only large international premium manufacturer that doesn't.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)