GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 08:52 AM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Motor 1 is stating the demise of the GS

"Speaking of Lexus, the 2022MY will bring a facelift for the LS and ES sedans, while the GS is going to be retired. Apparently, the Mirai and ES are seen are replacements for the aging sedan, but it is believed Lexus dealers were shocked when the fuel cell rear-wheel-drive sedan was introduced with a Toyota badge rather than a Lexus."

Motor1
Old 02-18-20, 09:28 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 180 Likes on 138 Posts

What this really means is that Peasodos will be done upgrading his GS 450h since no now upgrades will be coming out. He will have too much time on his hands now, will leave the forums, and probably go invent something like a flying GS (akin to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang). Electric vehicle will be my next choice one day. Someone has to be able to challenge Tesla, why not Lexus/Toyota?
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (02-19-20)
Old 02-18-20, 01:38 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

I read the article too. They're wasting their time with the hydrogen powered Mirai IMO. That's Tesla money.
At the end of the day Lexus have made their position clear, I'm saddened that my GS will be my first and last Lexus 😣
signdetres (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 01:57 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 942 Likes on 578 Posts

I think the GS will continue to exist, and be as active as this thread. Like the GS, this thread was thought to be dead, but it keeps coming back...
The following 2 users liked this post by chinee:
mrplesh (02-19-20), signdetres (02-18-20)
Old 02-18-20, 02:42 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by denary
Motor 1 is stating the demise of the GS

"Speaking of Lexus, the 2022MY will bring a facelift for the LS and ES sedans, while the GS is going to be retired. Apparently, the Mirai and ES are seen are replacements for the aging sedan, but it is believed Lexus dealers were shocked when the fuel cell rear-wheel-drive sedan was introduced with a Toyota badge rather than a Lexus."

Motor1
Whatever Toyota.... nobody wants a hydrogen car. You can't even fill it in the SFBAY area outside of TWO stations total, both in San Jose. And trying to sell it as a TOYOTA and not a LEXUS given it won't be cheap Is the stupidest idea ever. I figured this car was a replacement for the GS but I was hoping it was the lead-in to an eventual 5GSe....
The following 3 users liked this post by bob256k:
natnut (03-25-20), peteharvey (02-19-20), signdetres (02-18-20)
Old 02-19-20, 06:13 AM
Onsit
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Now is a great time to pickup USED / CPO - GS-F. Chances are they will have quite the cult following just like the IS-F.
highrev6 (03-25-20)
Old 02-19-20, 08:44 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

nevermind...seeing there's a 2nd generation. carry on.
Old 02-19-20, 08:47 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

2nd Gen GSF? I'm picking one up once my wallet allows and if they're still making it but I'll never buy used.
Old 02-19-20, 08:52 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtrue28
nevermind...seeing there's a 2nd generation. carry on.

this is the new 2021 Mirai. Looks good, still a dumb idea to use hydrogen AS OPPOSED TO ELECTRICITY WHICH IS LITERALLY EVERYWHERE:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...uel-cell-sedan
Old 02-19-20, 09:17 AM
Onsit
Driver

Originally Posted by bob256k
still a dumb idea to use hydrogen AS OPPOSED TO ELECTRICITY WHICH IS LITERALLY EVERYWHERE:
I think you need to look at it from a different perspective. There is no infrastructure for charging stations for mass production cars. There is no freaking municipal power grid that can support 40-60A of load for households + cars to charge at the same time. IF everyone charged their car it would cause brownouts the moment someone turns on a vacuum cleaner. IT DOES NOT SCALE on most old *** grids.

We do however have a heck of a lot of gas stations, that can be EASILY modified to dispense gel based hydrogen, that will potential power these cars. EVs are a cool idea, but scale horribly due to needing to charge. And nobody invented easily replaceable battery packs to where you "borrow" your batteries, and simply swap battery packs at a charging station - so the batteries can be charged (at a much slower amperage / higher voltage) and wait to be swapped into a new vehicle.

Hydrogen makes a WHOLE lot more sense big picture. It's the most abundant element in the universe, it makes up 90% of everything. Compare that to Lithium, which is rare and expensive until we figure out a cheap way to extract it from seawater.

Last edited by Onsit; 02-19-20 at 09:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Onsit:
highrev6 (03-25-20), natnut (03-25-20)
Old 02-19-20, 10:40 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Originally Posted by Onsit
I think you need to look at it from a different perspective. There is no infrastructure for charging stations for mass production cars. There is no freaking municipal power grid that can support 40-60A of load for households + cars to charge at the same time. IF everyone charged their car it would cause brownouts the moment someone turns on a vacuum cleaner. IT DOES NOT SCALE on most old *** grids.

We do however have a heck of a lot of gas stations, that can be EASILY modified to dispense gel based hydrogen, that will potential power these cars. EVs are a cool idea, but scale horribly due to needing to charge. And nobody invented easily replaceable battery packs to where you "borrow" your batteries, and simply swap battery packs at a charging station - so the batteries can be charged (at a much slower amperage / higher voltage) and wait to be swapped into a new vehicle.

Hydrogen makes a WHOLE lot more sense big picture. It's the most abundant element in the universe, it makes up 90% of everything. Compare that to Lithium, which is rare and expensive until we figure out a cheap way to extract it from seawater.

dude, there are LITERALLY ELECTRIC CARS EVERYWHERE CHARGING RIGHT NOW. It has already scaled to some degree; and the requirements to distribute and store GASOLINE, a flammable liquid that does not need to pressurized vs HYDROGEN, a EXPLOSIVE GAS that needs to be contained and dispensed at 10,000 PSI (!!) ARE NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME.

Why do the H2 fanboys come out every time I say how stupid H2 is ? It's been around as LONG as electric cars ,it's not going to take off just because Toyota wants it.

Look at this website; https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/hydrog...earest?fuel=HY

THERE ARE 49 H2 stations IN BOTH THE US AND CANADA. I EVEN included stations that are NON-Retail, AKA GOV'T and PRIVATE STATIONS:

AND here are the Electric Charging Stations, NEARLY 30K. And yes , I will give you the concession that the Electric Grid could not support every single household charging their car every night, BUT GUESS WHAT? That possibility is DECADES from now. GAS cars aren't going away anytime soon, for this specific reason and others. Whoop-de-do; the world will just have a slow transition.

P.S. I own no electric cars , and I am not a Tesla fanboy; I think they were a promising company who I now would not touch with a 20' pole. Telsa regularly lie and screw their customers over, on a daily basis now. I just think H2 is a waste of money and time. It had its chance, it's time to move on.

peteharvey (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 10:44 AM
bob256k
Instructor

What's even funnier is I didn't even mention the fact that the electric charging picture does not include charging station people have in their own homes. You can even get an app where people share access to their personal home charging station while they are not using it, its called plugshare . H2 is DOA. I say this because the longer people waste $ and time on a dead end the more it slows progress on real world results for stuff that actually works.
Old 02-19-20, 10:55 AM
Onsit
Driver

dude, there are LITERALLY ELECTRIC CARS EVERYWHERE CHARGING RIGHT NOW. It has already scaled to some degree; and the requirements to distribute and store GASOLINE, a flammable liquid that does not need to pressurized vs HYDROGEN, a EXPLOSIVE GAS that needs to be contained and dispensed at 10,000 PSI (!!) ARE NOWHERE NEAR THE SAME.
You live in california, where this may be true. Your statement is a gross exaggeration given the current market share of plugin EV vehicles on the road and charging. Furthermore you must have never been to Europe, where CNG (natural gas) is a realistic alternative to diesel/petrol - which is stored at upwards of 3,000 psi. In these scenarios where there already are temperature controlled, and pressure controlled units installed at refueling stations - it is not completely unreasonable this can be adapted for hydrogen.

You should try being less myopic and think globally before coming off with an aggressive tone. But it is true what they say about residence of California, sometimes they forget how the rest of America lives, and the world for that case.

highrev6 (03-25-20)
Old 02-19-20, 11:55 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Hydrogen is much more difficult to work with than CNG. It's incomparable. Even mentioning it in this context shows your lack of knowledge.
bob256k (02-19-20)
Old 02-19-20, 11:57 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Originally Posted by Onsit
You live in california, where this may be true. Your statement is a gross exaggeration given the current market share of plugin EV vehicles on the road and charging. Furthermore you must have never been to Europe, where CNG (natural gas) is a realistic alternative to diesel/petrol - which is stored at upwards of 3,000 psi. In these scenarios where there already are temperature controlled, and pressure controlled units installed at refueling stations - it is not completely unreasonable this can be adapted for hydrogen.

You should try being less myopic and think globally before coming off with an aggressive tone. But it is true what they say about residence of California, sometimes they forget how the rest of America lives, and the world for that case.

dude not to argue but DID YOU EVEN LOOK AT THE MAP I PROVIDED??

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)