GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 02:27 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 410 Likes on 248 Posts

Another post about GS death.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/le...illing-the-gs/
Old 04-24-20, 03:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
A little off topic but related... - I was trying to go back and read a post that talked about the sales numbers of the GS vs the sales numbers of many of the German models - things like the Gran Coupes, etc... and how the German makers keep those models despite sales being tiny. It was a pretty long post, posited some interesting points. I don't want to start a rehash of all that - I just want to go back and read it for a discussion I'm having with a good friend (he's a Acura guy though....so what do you expect, he doesn't understand the GS )

Is there a good way to find that? I've tried searching with the search on here, with using the "site:clublexus.com" directly in Google to no avail....

Also maybe a bit of a newbie/silly question but is there a way to "bookmark" a reply on a thread? so you can easily find it later? I'm assuming maybe the "Like" would sort of allow this behavior?

Thanks in advance!
It may have been this post below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ot-dead-4.html

On a desktop or laptop, go to the top right hand corner of the post, and point your cursor at the #post number.
Right click, and a curtain drops, then click on Save Link As.
This won't just save the page of the thread, but it will actually save the Post Number.
The following users liked this post:
LexusGSboy (04-25-20)
Old 04-24-20, 04:23 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

very sad. as to why lexus believes the ES will fill in the GS’s spot is beyond me. the ES will never be a competition for the germans because no one will ever take it seriously, although it has the looks now it’s still a fwd bread and butter sedan.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmull3r:
natnut (04-24-20), ThaPhenom (01-06-22)
Old 04-24-20, 04:31 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 314 Likes on 246 Posts

Indeed very sad and bad news. I won't buy an ES to replace my GS. I'll probably shop other auto vendors if I wanted a sports sedan. Sorry Lexus.
natnut (04-24-20)
Old 01-17-21, 11:36 AM
GSisKing
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So pissed they killed the GS

I been working for like 5 years, envisioning myself in the last generation or what should have been the upcoming generation GS.

I loved that Car. So pissed they killed it off. Like Why?

All I wanted was a medium size luxury sedan - smooth and reliable lexus. Japanese car. I dont want a stupid crossover or SUV. I dont want a little runt matchbox IS or a big boat LS thats zero fun. Would even consider a real SUV like GX but they dont even update that beast.

What are my supposed to do now. I dont want a german car or have to deal with headaches. The cadillac is not luxurious enough. I dont like the genesis. The only car I really liked was that cool luxurious reliable, little bit of fun gs.

Damn the ES...they think they can have a small car IS, big car LS and the ES is gonna be there middle car like the 5 series is the bmw, Lexus please. ES is like a big boat avalon cheap LS. IT doesnt fill gap. Why couldnt people see GS was best midsize sedan and buy more of them. Why arent people buying sedans and want ugly *** crossovers.

Now i wont even get a car, ill just walk

damn you lexus...bring back the gs! Coolest f'ing car ever.
ThaPhenom (01-06-22)
Old 01-17-21, 01:25 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Make your dreams come true and find yourself a used one.
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
AJLex19 (01-17-21), Im2bz2p345 (01-17-21)
Old 01-17-21, 03:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Just as Honda pulled out of F1 to focus on ZEV's, Toyota wants to focus on electrification.

So be patient.
Wait till 2022/23, and the 5GS will be a Mazda based 3.0 L in-line six 48 V mild hybrid with RWD.

Future GS replacements will be BEV's...
Im2bz2p345 (01-17-21)
Old 01-17-21, 09:29 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

See the problem is the future Toyota cars would be joined with Mazda/Subaru/BMW. They're no longer the pure, 100% Toyota products like our GS.
Old 01-17-21, 10:37 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 314 Likes on 246 Posts

Yeah, Toyota is becoming a marketing company more than a car company.

I only want 100% Toyota or I'll go elsewhere. I heard from other mechanics that other brands aren't that reliable as a 100% Toyota.

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
See the problem is the future Toyota cars would be joined with Mazda/Subaru/BMW. They're no longer the pure, 100% Toyota products like our GS.

Old 01-18-21, 12:12 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 499 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by GSisKing
I been working for like 5 years, envisioning myself in the last generation or what should have been the upcoming generation GS.

All I wanted was a medium size luxury sedan - smooth and reliable lexus. Japanese car. I dont want a stupid crossover or SUV. I dont want a little runt matchbox IS or a big boat LS thats zero fun. Would even consider a real SUV like GX but they dont even update that beast.

What are my supposed to do now. I dont want a german car or have to deal with headaches. The cadillac is not luxurious enough. I dont like the genesis. The only car I really liked was that cool luxurious reliable, little bit of fun gs.

Damn the ES...they think they can have a small car IS, big car LS and the ES is gonna be there middle car like the 5 series is the bmw, Lexus please. ES is like a big boat avalon cheap LS. IT doesnt fill gap. Why couldnt people see GS was best midsize sedan and buy more of them. Why arent people buying sedans and want ugly *** crossovers.

There are plenty of good used and CPO GS's out there so I agree with charley95 , find yourself a good used one. There's at least another three years of these being a CPO option and some of those CPOs are going to come up with crazy low miles thanks to Covid.

I totally agree with you on your other points about the ES not being a GS and likely never can be - although lots of people love Audi and all of their cars are FWD with an AWD option so at least in theory it's possible to take a standard FWD car and make a fun AWD out of it. The ES is a price-point and a mass-market car Lexus has to have to stay viable in a global market. Basing it on a Toyota model makes that happen and also lets them build it in the US which has certain advantages.

I'm also with you on the Germans - while I think both BMW and MB have some beautiful cars I don't think I'd ever buy one.

I'm a bit more optimistic about where Toyota is going with this - they have the new Crown that should have been the base for the next GS (and was very good looking on it's own). If I could import one and drive it now I would. The folks at Toyota aren't stupid and they've done a great job keeping things hidden before. To me they're taking a break, letting demand build, and looking at new technologies. Folks here on CL are probably getting tired of me going on and on about Toyota surprising us with a new GS on the GSs 30th anniversary in 2023. . That would be about on track for the next Crown and lets face it, the Crown isn't going any where in Toyota's domestic lineup.

The A6's numbers aren't great, compared to MB or BMW yet Audi makes it work and the A7 has never had a peak year anywhere near the GSs peak years in the US. Someone else on here pointed out plenty of other models that also don't have amazing sales numbers. The car company's need the cars that sell in lower volume to be the car people want but can't quite afford yet. They come to the brand by getting in an ES or IS with the hopes of getting a GS (or LS) one day. That's why MB is pushing the other way and trying to bring out less expensive models and doing all of their crazy cheap leases.

I'm old enough (but still relatively young) to have seen numerous "studies" and "articles" declaring things of some sort or another dead. Shared cars were all the rage 8-10 years ago. People were going to stop buying cars and everyone was going to share them. I just read that one of the last car share companies was pulling out of the US. Millenials were supposedly reshaping housing and the single family home was going away because they were all going to live in dense urban cores. As soon as we were out of the last recession articles were talking about how all the Millenials that had been living in urban lofts, etc... were now seemingly following all those before them and moving out to homes with yards, etc...for the kids they were starting to have. Most recently, papers were declaring the end of the office - now they're saying it'll be something like people work 4 days in the office 1 day from home. (there will be exceptions certainly)

Covid and protests have changed things in ways we can't even fully understand. And these things won't change back quickly. Now all of a sudden there's a bunch of new reasons to not want to live in dense urban areas and to get around people will need cars because they're also going to be wary of riding transit. Things at an urban level take decades and generations to shift back after bad things happen. When I lived on the east coast there were blocks and blocks of boarded up/burned out buildings that had been sitting for 30+ years since the riots in the 60s.

SO.... I don't see the mid-sized sports sedan going anywhere, it's just taking a rest. For me the question is more about what we'll see with propulsion systems. There's the little feud going on between Musk and Toyota over BEV and Hydrogen. There have been some companies (MB/VW) who have pulled out of hydrogen development while BMW, Honda, Hyundai, and Toyota are moving forward. Those aren't small companies; if a company like Tesla can build out a system of Super Chargers - what can companies with that kind of capital do if they want to build out a system of hydrogen stations? Not to mention the oil companies could pretty easily move on something like that too if they wanted in - and they need something if their main product is going away. And just for the record...I'm not saying the next GS will be based on the Mirai - there's a whole thread on that discussion if I remember properly

Old 01-18-21, 02:29 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Originally Posted by websurfer
Yeah, Toyota is becoming a marketing company more than a car company.

I only want 100% Toyota or I'll go elsewhere. I heard from other mechanics that other brands aren't that reliable as a 100% Toyota.
I suspect they are rebadging BMW's and Mazda's as a stop gap, because there is not much future for traditional fossil fuel burning internal combustion engines; the future lies in electrification.
Old 01-18-21, 07:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Just as Honda pulled out of F1 to focus on ZEV's, Toyota wants to focus on electrification.

So be patient.
Wait till 2022/23, and the 5GS will be a Mazda based 3.0 L in-line six 48 V mild hybrid with RWD.

Future GS replacements will be BEV's...
We don't know if 5GS will be based off the Mazda RWD platform, rumor is it will be something smaller like a IS that shares that platform/engine.

Nobody wants a BEV GS replacement, it won't be a real GS, there are too many compromises with pure electrics, the hybrid didn't sell.
Old 01-18-21, 07:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GSisKing

I understand your disappointment, so am I, I think it is a huge mistake to kill the GS and the Tier 2 direction Lexus is taking.

Just get a used GS, these cars are very reliable, no real trouble spots aside from a sunroof seal that can be replaced for $40 in 20min.
Old 01-18-21, 08:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusGSboy
I'm a bit more optimistic about where Toyota is going with this - they have the new Crown that should have been the base for the next GS (and was very good looking on it's own). If I could import one and drive it now I would. The folks at Toyota aren't stupid and they've done a great job keeping things hidden before. To me they're taking a break, letting demand build, and looking at new technologies. Folks here on CL are probably getting tired of me going on and on about Toyota surprising us with a new GS on the GSs 30th anniversary in 2023. . That would be about on track for the next Crown and lets face it, the Crown isn't going any where in Toyota's domestic lineup.
I thought Toyota already said they were killing the Crown.
Old 01-18-21, 08:35 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 400 Likes on 283 Posts

To me and my way of thinking, battery electrics and battery hybrids are stopgaps. They are the laserdisc of automotive technology. It served a purpose but it isn't sustainable. You lose a lot in the various conversion processes. First, you turn heat/wind/solar into electricity. You convert electricity into stored potential in a battery that is a gross polluter to create. Then you convert battery potential into power for the electric motors. Every conversion is a loss due to heat and inefficiencies. If that gets your panties in a wad, it is still true.

For the REAL future of automotive technology, look at what NASA has been doing for a very long time: Fuel cells. They are the future, primarily H2 fuel cells. It is much more efficient and the only emissions are water vapor. You can literally make your own fuel from water and a solar panel. Water to hydrogen, hydrogen to water. The elimination of complexity is the key real innovation. The whole process is carbon free.
ThaPhenom (01-06-22)

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)