GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 11:41 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
2019 Lexus GSh

I think it's been discussed a million times already but, this is the Toyota Crown, not GS.......
Old 01-28-18, 11:57 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Last edited by peasodos; 01-28-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 12:30 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
2015 Prototype?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post7793489
Old 01-28-18, 01:41 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350MIKE
Apparently my dealership confirmed that the 2018 is the end of the line for the GS. Hard to believe that US sport luxury sedan buyers are so biased to BMW, MBZ and Audi that the GS low sales have lead to my favorite car reaching end of life.

This leaves Lexus without a full size rear wheel drive Sport/ Luxury Sedan. Unless they have other plans? Anyone know more?
Dealership do not have insider information about Lexus future vehicles. It may just be the 2018 will be the last year for the 4th Gen but they will not tell dealers they are doing away with the GS for good. They need a competitor in this segment and can't give up on it, I don't see the new LS being a big seller either.
Old 01-28-18, 03:52 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
This can't be true. A guy at the bar said his nephews ex wife's former husbands niece's husband who used to work for Lexus said they're still gonna make it. I think the guy at the bar knows something we don't. Your dealer doesn't know any more than any other dealer does.
Hmmmm something always get lost in communication lol
Old 01-28-18, 06:49 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Apparently my dealership confirmed that Toyota/Lexus has reached a deal to acquire both Daimler AG (Mercedes-Benz) and also BMW (excluding Mini and Rolls-Royce). The deal is supposed to close by the end of 2018.

GS350MIKE - What do you think?
How else would they make the love child that is the new Supra/Z4?
Old 01-29-18, 05:41 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Nope. That was the original 4GS prototype released at the NY Auto show in 2011. Funny that the 2016+ models look more like that than any of the others. Only took them 5 years to release what they originally teased us with.
Old 03-06-18, 01:20 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

So several months ago I posted specs of the new engine and drive train for the the new GS full redesign. Well, the source I have has told me the full redesign (and the entire GS line) has been scrapped and now will be discontinued due to a couple of factors of which sales is one. The 2019 hybrid GS is discontinued and the 2020 GS is discontinued. So that means the 2018 hybrid GS is the last year of the hybrid and the 2019 GS is the last model year of the non hybrid versions.

The next gen ES will be sportier and larger. Supposedly there will be an F Sport version of the ES as well to bridge the empty space in their market coverage.

I really hope this is wrong but the source has been pretty reliable in the past.
The following users liked this post:
xBROKER (03-06-18)
Old 03-06-18, 01:47 PM
myLexus007
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
So several months ago I posted specs of the new engine and drive train for the the new GS full redesign. Well, the source I have has told me the full redesign (and the entire GS line) has been scrapped and now will be discontinued due to a couple of factors of which sales is one. The 2019 hybrid GS is discontinued and the 2020 GS is discontinued. So that means the 2018 hybrid GS is the last year of the hybrid and the 2019 GS is the last model year of the non hybrid versions.

The next gen ES will be sportier and larger. Supposedly there will be an F Sport version of the ES as well to bridge the empty space in their market coverage.

I really hope this is wrong but the source has been pretty reliable in the past.
Can you provide the source please where it said they will kill the GS?

New ES will definitely taking a place as Lexus' sole mid-size offering, and drive better on the TNGA (as evidently even the 2016 Prius or 2018 Camry are much more engaged in driving). They can make ES AWD and FWD as standard as the Audi A6 is.

I just don't think they will kill the GS. GS will play a Grand Coupe role as the Audi A7, MB CLS or BMW 6-Series, a sporty RWD 4-door coupe. Lexus has invested too much money on their sporty image to give up the GS. If they do, why start the RC in the first place.
The following 2 users liked this post by myLexus007:
highrev6 (03-06-18), Jayson (03-07-18)
Old 03-06-18, 01:51 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

That sux but I'm not surprised for reasons above...
Old 03-06-18, 02:04 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Interesting, this makes no since for the Lexus brand. The 7th generation ES looks to be a carbon copy of the 2018 Lexus LS500 with the exception to the transverse layout. The 6th gen ES is already a bigger car than the 4th Gen GS in regards to interior space so making it a larger car would only allow it to compete even more with 2018 LS. Adding a FWD bias all wheel drive system probably won’t make the ES the least bit sporty. Based on what I’ve seen from the 2019 Toyota Avalon, the ES will be a 300hp 8spd Auto FWD luxury car designed to be comfortable for masses. It will probably adapt adjustable dampers and a wishbone rear suspension setup. If Lexus does decide to abandon the rear wheel drive midsize luxury sedan segment it will be serious jab to the brands legitimacy as a hard core true luxury automaker.

The ES can’t hold a candle to the likes of midsize segment leaders such as the 5 series and E-class.

If anything Lexus should be giving the ES the axe. The ES has continuously been cannibalizing the GS sales for decades making it fight for sales with the cheaper to manufacture economy sedan shrouded in high end sheet metal and the interior sprinkled with decent quality leather and leftover scrap wood veneer pieces left over from the LS’s woodshop. When consumers enter the Lexus dealers showroom and ask to see the midsize Lexus sedan the sales consultant is forced to explain and show we have two midsize sedans, one of them costing $8k more than the other even though it’s stlightly smaller. Once the consumer test drives them both back to back on a busy road they end up driving home in a ES because they weren’t shown the benefits of owning a GS over the ES. It’s also likely the average consumer shopping in this segment isn’t all that interested in a cars sporty handling characteristics, they just want the car to be fast and comfortable.
Old 03-06-18, 02:05 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

If the GS is discontinued Toyota/Lexus is heading to a much sportier, luxurious direction with the Avalon and the ES.

2019 Avalon

Old 03-06-18, 02:09 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Dont' forget guys... market is moving towards crossovers, Lexus should introduce UX model for USA market soon.
Old 03-06-18, 02:33 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Well, this was my first Lexus GS and if they go the whimpy, FWD econobox rebadging method, it will certainly be my last Lexus. I'm a rear wheel bigot and not afraid to admit it. Hello Infiniti!
Old 03-06-18, 03:13 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 540 Likes on 393 Posts

Does the word "SOURCE" have any credibility in todays world?!?!?! Will this guy claiming "source" chime back in on how reliable his source is???? I'll say it first here, you guys are total morons for making outrageous claims!

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)