GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cleaning smelly AC...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 12:30 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Yes, during warm weather conditions if the cabin is hot when you start the car the A/C will run at maximum fan speed until it can cool the cabin down and then the fan speed will automatically drop. Why wouldn't you want it to operate that way?
so I started using the auto/auto as suggested.. but does it ever go into face/leg mode? I feel like it's on face only mode 100% of the time and it's pretty annoying. I prefer it to drop to face/leg or leg mode when the cabin is cool enough..

I probably sounds like a big whiner in this thread, but come sniff my AC, and you'll recommend calling the CDC.

EDIT.. i just ordered for $20 shipped: https://www.mysubarustore.com/oem-pa...ng-soa868v9315

It's basically same kit as the Toyota, but about $6 cheaper..
Kool-it is a ripoff. it only has 6oz.. I felt it ran out very fast....
this one has 18oz.. and comes with the "Step 2" can. Supposedly, it's enough to do 2 cars...
hopefully this works.. stay tuned.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 07-25-17 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SoulDivine (04-22-19)
Old 07-25-17, 12:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
so I started using the auto/auto as suggested.. but does it ever go into face/leg mode? I feel like it's on face only mode 100% of the time and it's pretty annoying. I prefer it to drop to face/leg or leg mode when the cabin is cool enough..
As with most vehicles when A/C cooling is called-for the system will use the upper vents to supply the cooling airflow, which is the opposite when heating is called-for where the lower vents are [then] automatically used. During warm weather most people usually prefer to have the cooling airflow on the upper part of their body (face, chest, arms). Plus, oftentimes the sun is shining through the windows on the upper body, so cooling airflow helps offset this. Also, keep in mind that cooler air drops where warmer air rises, so it is best to cool from the top-down...and warm from the bottom-up. Rarely is it the case where people prefer to have their legs cooled at the expense of their upper body.
Old 07-25-17, 12:58 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

As with most vehicles when A/C cooling is called-for the system will use the upper vents to supply the cooling airflow, which is the opposite when heating is called-for where the lower vents are [then] automatically used. During warm weather most people usually prefer to have the cooling airflow on the upper part of their body (face, chest, arms). Plus, oftentimes the sun is shining through the windows on the upper body, so cooling airflow helps offset this. Also, keep in mind that cooler air drops where warmer air rises. Rarely is it the case where people prefer to have their legs cooled at the expense of their upper body.
so no... darn.. auto sucks.
maveriCK.. (07-26-17)
Old 07-25-17, 12:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

so no... darn.. auto sucks.
Auto = perfection!
Old 07-28-17, 05:31 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same smelly issue when car is started and then it goes away. Lexus wanted close to $300 for the service so I went to my local Toyota dealer and for $110 they used a vapor mist with bleach to remove whatever was causing the smell in the evaporator and it's been great ever since.

My only question is my car is a 2014 GS350 and I have had two other GS', a SC, and a GX and no other car has ever had this issue. Is this a design flaw in the 4th gen GS? Seems like way too many folks are having this issue...
Old 07-28-17, 05:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by levinsoy
I had the same smelly issue when car is started and then it goes away. Lexus wanted close to $300 for the service so I went to my local Toyota dealer and for $110 they used a vapor mist with bleach to remove whatever was causing the smell in the evaporator and it's been great ever since.

My only question is my car is a 2014 GS350 and I have had two other GS', a SC, and a GX and no other car has ever had this issue. Is this a design flaw in the 4th gen GS? Seems like way too many folks are having this issue...
I would say, no - there is no design flaw. My GS 350 does not have this problem.

Are you using the A/C in 'AUTO' mode...or are you manually altering the A/C's system?
Old 07-28-17, 06:34 PM
levinsoy
Driver

I would say, no - there is no design flaw. My GS 350 does not have this problem.

Are you using the A/C in 'AUTO' mode...or are you manually altering the A/C's system?
- I have had the car since this past May and never even touched that until today when I hit the auto mode. I guess that will make sure that problem never comes back. Thx for the heads up though.
Old 07-29-17, 07:48 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can anyone tell me where the condensate drain tube is located?
Old 07-29-17, 07:53 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DP03
Can anyone tell me where the condensate drain tube is located?
Under the car, around the passenger front wheel. You won't miss it, it's the only tube that is hanging down in that area.
DP03 (07-29-17)
Old 07-29-17, 08:07 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Interesting cause Toyota told me it was above the transmission and that's why they had to use the fogger/steamer to get the bad smelling stuff from the bottom of the evaporator unit. Oh well, smell is gone regardless.
Old 07-29-17, 09:35 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by levinsoy
Interesting cause Toyota told me it was above the transmission and that's why they had to use the fogger/steamer to get the bad smelling stuff from the bottom of the evaporator unit. Oh well, smell is gone regardless.
Agree.. AC water leaks from in the middle around where transmission and engine meets.

i think wheel well was on an IS
Old 07-29-17, 10:30 AM
DP03
Driver

Agree.. AC water leaks from in the middle around where transmission and engine meets.

i think wheel well was on an IS
Do you know if this is a visible tube when under the car? Or is it blocked by the trans?
Old 07-31-17, 07:36 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts
Default What's causing it

I had the same issue on my 2015 Lux vehicle. My dealer replaced the cabin air filter and cleaned the unit for free under warranty. Then they asked me how I used the system, which they said was the problem...

Like everyone else, I just run it on Auto, and every time I started the car, it would go into the Auto Recirculated mode every time when it was at/above 75 degrees outside (my temp is set at 75). The issue is that the car always starts in recirculated mode and STAYS THERE - I've never seen it switch over to fresh air by itself, though it is supposed to do so. What I do is once the car cools down enough, I change the air flow to outside air (the picture to the right where it shows air flowing into the car from the outside). The fan will automatically slow down to a normal speed.

Since I've been doing that, I've never had a smell issue again and I always notice a water puddle under my car so I know the water condensation is draining. Page 318 of the manual tells you to put it on the Fresh Air mode prior to turning the vehicle off to reduce smells.

Unless there is something in the setup that I missed, I believe I'm operating it correctly. There is supposed to be an option under setup under the "Automatic air conditioning system" that allows you to set the sensitivity to the "Exhaust gas sensor information" from -3 to 3, so if you have that option you may want to change it to not be as sensitive, then it may go to outside (fresh) air sooner.

The manual (page 316?) says the recirculated mode is better on gas mileage too, but I don't want the smell back I just continue with my routine.
Old 07-31-17, 07:47 AM
DP03
Driver

Well, I went under the car on ramps yesterday with 2 cans of Kool it. I could not see where the condensate was coming from, even as it dripped on my face!. It was rolling down some braided wire, but where it originated from I could not tell. There was no hose just hanging down....
Old 08-01-17, 03:56 AM
Chantalle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does anyone know where the tube really is, is it the tube in the pax wheel well? Also where is the air intake,under the plastic shield by the pax wiper? 2013 GS

Quick Reply: Cleaning smelly AC...